• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doses of reality by Deidre

Deidre

I don't really relate to music too much since I barely listened to any of it my whole life. When people talk music, it's like a foreign language for me. I listen to Quran, Du'as (prayers), lamentations for Imams (a), stuff like that.
Was mainstream type music forbidden to you?

I love Arabic music ...as you know, that’s part of my ethnicity so there’s so many amazing Sufi dance type music out there. (dervish whirling)

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Was mainstream type music forbidden to you?

I love Arabic music ...as you know, that’s part of my ethnicity so there’s so many amazing Sufi dance type music out there. (dervish whirling)

No, some of my family listens to Music and there is no consensus with scholars against it at any time and most scholars seem to say only particular type of music is forbidden (that which leads astray). I wasn't ever sure of the matter myself, whether allowed or forbidden and honestly still don't know.

The proof seems good music is allowed because the scripture of David (a) according to hadiths was revealed with music.

I just don't enjoy it as much as I do Quran, Du'as, and that kind of stuff.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
These days I can hardly get myself to even enjoy video games as well, I seem to only enjoy Quran, Du'as, hadiths, that kind of stuff. R and R seems more stressing - I don't enjoy anything that much other then exercise - I try a couple times a week to enjoy a game or watch some TV and I can't.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
These days I can hardly get myself to even enjoy video games as well, I seem to only enjoy Quran, Du'as, hadiths, that kind of stuff. R and R seems more stressing - I don't enjoy anything that much other then exercise - I try a couple times a week to enjoy a game or watch some TV and I can't.

I find myself developing a pretty rich religious life lately myself, cutting into time with video games. Things have become more open and spiritual for me as a worshipper of Shiva, and it's hard to pass up the opportunity to make time for it. I take a view of the universe that most people's gods are real, but that spiritual reality is kind of divided and subjective and multidimensional, everyone experiences something different and yet it's still valid and real. Sometimes people do have agendas too, like political agendas, and it gets to me. But followers of the Quran, I seem to get along fairly well with, even with all the harmful, no good propaganda out there.

Deidre

Don't stress too much, Link (about being down). We all go through seasons and some seasons may last longer than others. During the difficult seasons, just know that it'll eventually pass. God is always there, and I know you turn to Him. You're in my prayers, friend, always. :glomp:

Deidre

I added a pic to my media, and I can't see it when I click on media. Oh well...

Song to end the day...

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I added a pic to my media, and I can't see it when I click on media. Oh well...

Song to end the day...

I see the picture. If you don't see what I wrote, it's:

"You would make a good video game character".

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Don't stress too much, Link (about being down). We all go through seasons and some seasons may last longer than others. During the difficult seasons, just know that it'll eventually pass. God is always there, and I know you turn to Him. You're in my prayers, friend, always. :glomp:

Yeah, you're right. Thanks <3 and thanks for the hug <3.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
If I may join in the fun, speaking of video game characters, I once took a picture of my face and tried to Photoshop it like a Final Fantasy XIII character - I'm kind of a novice Photoshopper:

41213_104f7d4d4af40b827547410ce8dc5ae0.jpg

I've actually done some interesting Photoshops, not all of which I've shown. Things like making abstract art from scratch, making meme pictures using online tools, gender swap photos, changing the background, changing lighting. I'm a little sad that 70 percent of my results have been discharged as if I kept them all, they'd be taking like 100 GB on my phone.

In the picture under the spoiler tags, I was kind of trying to make myself look like a 3D model. Without going to all the actual trouble of, well, opening up the Blender program and doing real cad work.

Deidre

If I may join in the fun, speaking of video game characters, I once took a picture of my face and tried to Photoshop it like a Final Fantasy XIII character - I'm kind of a novice Photoshopper:

I've actually done some interesting Photoshops, not all of which I've shown. Things like making abstract art from scratch, making meme pictures using online tools, gender swap photos, changing the background, changing lighting. I'm a little sad that 70 percent of my results have been discharged as if I kept them all, they'd be taking like 100 GB on my phone.

In the picture under the spoiler tags, I was kind of trying to make myself look like a 3D model. Without going to all the actual trouble of, well, opening up the Blender program and doing real cad work.
That’s so cool! I’ve never photo shopped pics but a friend of mine is a genius with it.

Do you love Deviant Art? That site is my guilty pleasure.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
That’s so cool! Do you live Deviant Art? That site is my guilty pleasure.

I do. Some of the artists are amazing. Though I'm constantly debating myself on whether to click the filter on the website to allow 18+ content as part of artistic expression, or to not do so to avoid the whole dark side that exists in the deepest, darkest corners of DeviantArt and their cartoon/brushed art.

Deidre

I do. Some of the artists are amazing. Though I'm constantly debating myself on whether to click the filter on the website to allow 18+ content as part of artistic expression, or to not do so to avoid the whole dark side that exists in the deepest, darkest corners of DeviantArt and their cartoon/brushed art.
Follow thy heart.....
;)

Deidre

I follow this youtube channel and a few others. I love vintage everything, and her style just speaks to me. She's so breezy, and has quite a few make-up tutorial videos, which is how I first discovered her.

Check out some of her other vids, if you like her style too!

Deidre

Rainy day, pouring actually. I like it. Rain is so calming and as it splashes into the lake, I’m thinking of my day ahead. Taking time off from work has been amazing. Going to journal for a bit and then work out... :coffee:

Thank you God for this moment, and the gratitude to appreciate it. :sunflower:

Deidre

About so many things...all at once?

Friendships that have gone by the wayside...

my shower time with hubby earlier today...

nature and its beauty...

having sushi for dinner later...

jobs that caught my eyes today...

truly resting and restoring and what it means to be still...

God and His grace...

e-friends who make be think...

the weekend that is fast approaching...

listening to music and how every song I’ve ever heard, has the capacity to change my mood...

and other thoughts ...so many thoughts...fleeting and deep.

The human brain is powerful and capable of so much.

Knowing I’ll have to edit this because my phone is to blame. :weary:

Deidre

I love RF, but some things never change. Christians are put down more than any other group and it’s just sad. Meanwhile, Islam and Judaism follow the tenets of the OT but Christians are the only ones questioned about it.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I love RF, but some things never change. Christians are put down more than any other group and it’s just sad. Meanwhile, Islam and Judaism follow the tenets of the OT but Christians are the only ones questioned about it.

I'll be fair, there was a thread recently, aimed at Christians, and I posted in it... but it kind of made me cringe.

But other than that, there's some heated rhetoric from both sides in the political section as well as debates. There are certain Trump-supporting Christians here who push back. And some of us Democrats, both Christian and non-Christian, push back too.

Here is my whole problem though:

Around the 70's-80's, under Billy Graham and others, there was an evangelical movement started within Christianity, promoting anti-abortion, ideas involving theocracy, etc. Some people didn't like it, but I saw it as pretty mild and supporting as many good things as negative. Afterward, about the time of Trump, things got complicated. It's like, the evangelical movement put all their weight behind Trump, and even changed some of its ideas in support of Trump.

As for my advice on what to do about people who are hard on Christians on RF. It's hard to say, but whether or not you support Trump, I have my serious doubts most people are talking about you when they speak of "Christians". They're talking more about activists of McCarthyism. Who exist both on the forum, and are ready to participate and fire back, sometimes firing the first shot - and also exist in real life.

Deidre

I'll be fair, there was a thread recently, aimed at Christians, and I posted in it... but it kind of made me cringe.

But other than that, there's some heated rhetoric from both sides in the political section as well as debates. There are certain Trump-supporting Christians here who push back. And some of us Democrats, both Christian and non-Christian, push back too.

Here is my whole problem though:

Around the 70's-80's, under Billy Graham and others, there was an evangelical movement started within Christianity, promoting anti-abortion, ideas involving theocracy, etc. Some people didn't like it, but I saw it as pretty mild and supporting as many good things as negative. Afterward, about the time of Trump, things got complicated. It's like, the evangelical movement put all their weight behind Trump, and even changed some of its ideas in support of Trump.

As for my advice on what to do about people who are hard on Christians on RF. It's hard to say, but whether or not you support Trump, I have my serious doubts most people are talking about you when they speak of "Christians". They're talking more about activists of McCarthyism. Who exist both on the forum, and are ready to participate and fire back, sometimes firing the first shot - and also exist in real life.
I hear you...er read you. I think my issue is that many people judge all Christians based on other Christians. Reading what Jesus taught on our own, can illuminate so much. Can change so much of our thinking. Christians who chastise and rebuke thinking that the log in their eye is “okay,” aren’t really following Jesus. But I digress. We are all works in progress, at the end of the day. Jesus didn’t expect perfection.

Thank you for sharing your insights. It’s good to share and not be talked “at,” so thank you.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I hear you...er read you. I think my issue is that many people judge all Christians based on other Christians. Reading what Jesus taught on our own, can illuminate so much. Can change so much of our thinking. Christians who chastise and rebuke thinking that the log in their eye is “okay,” aren’t really following Jesus. But I digress. We are all works in progress, at the end of the day. Jesus didn’t expect perfection.

I agree. :)