• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dorje Shugden: Dharma protector or evil spirit? (Mahayana Buddhists)

FashionOfMyLove

Non-Conformist
Do you believe that Dorje Shugden is a proper, enlightened Dharma protector or a harmful malevolent spirit? Do you agree with the Dalai Lama's enforcement of the ban of it?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Isn't this ultimately a matter of deciding which lines and teachers to trust?

I'm not sure there is even a right answer to be chosen.

FashionOfMyLove

Non-Conformist
Isn't this ultimately a matter of deciding which lines and teachers to trust?

I'm not sure there is even a right answer to be chosen.

Well I think that the right answer definitely is that he is not an evil spirit because providing you believe in the Buddhist beliefs of the Law of Karma and Rebirth there would be no way that Tulku Dragpa Gyalsten (Dorje Shugden's previous incarnation) could have been reborn as a hungry spirit as he would have had to have done something bad to have the karma been reborn as one when had practiced moral discipline and had done so in his other incarnations.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Fair enough if that is what you believe. I don't know how or why others' would figure out on the matter, though.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So long as it can be used to attain nirvana, who cares?

Plenty of people, actually, and rightfully so. One way or the other, it is a significant point contention between two groups of Tibetan Buddhists.

It is just not clear how other than by making a personal call of trust and faith it can be solved.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
As someone who, once upon a time, identified (at least philosophically) as a Tibetan Buddhist, and still takes inspiration from Mahayana, I hope my opinion will be welcomed here.

I think the whole Shugden controversy is absolutely ridiculous.

One side is choosing the side of a very well known teacher and is condemning Dorje Shugden practice as evil. As something Adharmic. The other side is defending it to the bone and says that is it perfectly permitted within Gelug practice.

I, on the other hand, only see people who seem to miss the basic point of Buddhism. Metta and loving kindness; compassion for all sentient things; finding your own truth and not simply following something, because it is stated by a teacher or book. I don't see that when I see this particular controversy. All I see is blind sectarianism and fringe fundamentalism. From both sides.

Of course, nothing is black and white. The situation is certainly not as simple as I probably made it out to be. However, this is my observation and opinion. As far as I'm concerned, Dorje objectively has no real power and is only given power by those who either love or hate him. The same goes for the Hindu deities I revere. They, to me, have a personal power; because by revering them, they subjectively have meaning to me. The same goes for supporters and opponents of Dorje Shugden. Until people can separate objective logic with subjective emotion (which probably won't happen for many), then I don't really see this controversy ending anytime soon.