• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dorje Shudgen

xkatz

I was wondering if anyone knows were I can find some good, scholarly (and preferably online) info on the Dorje Shudgen. Also, it would be helpful to know some mantras for this deities. I would really appreciate this info. Thanks :)

Chuda

Buddhist
This Dorje Shugden is quite controversial from what i have read so far. Some say that he is an evil spirit but others say that he is an emanation of Manjushri. And of course you must know that HH the Dalai Lama says we must not do this practice. Why are you wanting to know his mantra? Are you not afraid that he is evil? There are plenty of articles online and many are quite biased but so far, the resource online which i find the most useful is dorjeshugden.com. You can find the prayers and mantras there also. Let me know what you think of that site and how you feel after reciting the mantras. I don't dare yet. I'm still looking into it. :D

wisdombeing

Wannabe Wisdom Being
Dorje Shugden is definitely not evil. I have been doing his sadhana and mantras for the past four years and i can assure you that there is nothing to be afraid of, Chuda. Dorje Shugden is a powerful Dharma Protector and he has been practised by many great Gelugpa masters - the legendary HH Pabongkha Rinpoche, HH Trijang Rinpoche, HH Zong Rinpoche, HE Gangchen Rinpoche, HE Lama Yeshe, HE Lama Zopa and many more... and yes you can find the list of masters on dorjeshugden.com, with their biographies!

Knowledge is power, and ignorance is one of the three poisons in Buddhism. Before we decide whether Dorje Shugden is good or not, it’s best to equip ourselves with as much knowledge as possible.

Here are some points to ponder (there are many more but these are just to start with):

1. Many great masters have practised Dorje Shugden and reincarnated back.
2. The Great Fifth Dalai Lama had originally mistakenly thought that Dorje Shugden was an evil spirit but after the great Lamas could not destroy Dorje Shugden, the Great Fifth realized that Dorje Shugden was an enlightened Buddha and declared him as such, as well as building the first chapel to Dorje Shugden.
3. Dorje Shugden led HH the Dalai Lama out of Tibet during the civil unrest, while Nechung, via the state oracle, had advised the Dalai Lama to stay in Tibet. If the Dalai Lama had remained, he would probably have been under arrest. Why would Dorje Shugden save the Dalai Lama’s life yet want to shorten it as the 14th Dalai Lama claims is Dorje Shugden’s purpose?
4. If Dorje Shugden is evil, the great Lamas should just destroy him.. but for the past few hundred years, nobody has done so. There MUST be a reason.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I've previously practised in schools on both sides of this controversy ( NKT and Ripga ) and it's complicated. I'm sad to see this is still rumbling on.

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
Samdong Rinpoche on the false charge of HHDL 'banning' worship of Dholgyal/shugden:

He [HHDL] has not issued an arbitrary decree saying that the Dholgyal worshipping cannot be done. Therefore, he has not banned the practice. We have to understand this clearly. If he has banned it, how come the Dholgyal worshippers are carrying on with the worship? Not only are they carrying on with the worship with freedom, they even have the liberty to deride him, to carry out demonstrations against him wherever he pays a visit, and to express opposition by being in close physical proximity to him. All these clearly demonstrate that His Holiness has not banned the worship; he has not issued any decree banning the practice. Look at the addresses that His Holiness has given over the time. He admonishes us that we would be better off if we do not undertake the worship; that the current approach to the worship goes against the precepts of taking Refuge into the Triple Jewels; and that it (the worshipping) brings down the standard of Buddhism. He also admonishes that it (the worshipping) undermines the harmony among the different Orders of Tibetan Buddhism, and adversely affects the Tibetan cause and unity of Tibetan people. So, His Holiness has only offered the admonishment that it would be better not to engage in the worship. He has never asked us to terminate the worship from now onwards. If one listens to the words of His Holiness, he has, from the beginning, said that it is his duty to give advice to people, and that whether or not people listen to him is up to them.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram spinny ji
I've previously practised in schools on both sides of this controversy ( NKT and Ripga ) and it's complicated. I'm sad to see this is still rumbling on.
my feelings entirely , .. I agree that there is more to it than meets the eye , .... it is truely sad to see it continuing , but all the while western buddhists see this as human rights issue they play right into the hands of the chinese who have for years deliberatly exaserbated the issue , ....and still continue to do so , ...dispite many western buddhists failing to see what is actualy going on , .......yes it is complicated , ..there are so many levels of emotional and political brainwashing going on that it is hard for many adherents to see the wood for the trees , ....

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
From Wiki's Dorje Shugden page:

''On March 10th 2016, apparently as a result of the Reuters revelations that the anti-Dalai Lama Shugden protest campaigns were, according to leaked Chinese government documents, secretly funded and manipulated by the Chinese Communist Party in order to discredit the Dalai Lama and the so-called "Dalai clique",[51] the International Shugden Community suddenly suspended all operations. Its website was closed down leaving only the following message: "A Special Announcement: The Directors of the International Shugden Community previously announced that from 1 Dec 2015 they had decided to completely stop organising demonstrations against the Dalai Lama. Now, from the 10th March 2016 the International Shugden Community itself will dissolve, including its websites. May everybody be happy. Len Foley, Representative of the International Shugden Community."[52]''