• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't want to repay all your student loan? Go into the minestry

Skwim

Veteran Member
Student Loan Debt Forgiveness For Ministers

One of the most burdensome financial obligations faced by many young ministers is an increasing student debt load. The rising cost of higher education is forcing many to rely heavily on financial aid, both for undergraduate and graduate educations. This is compounded for ministers who have sought education at private Christian universities, some of which have tuitions surpassing $700 (or more) per credit hour. The Master of Divinity, the most common ministry degree for preachers, is 84 hours. Although some schools help with scholarships and grants, most students end up with significant amounts of debt.
Most churches try to offer reasonable living wages to their ministers, but with heavy debt obligations, many ministers still struggle to keep things under control financially. Many ministers have no choice but to take on second jobs or rely on spouses to make up the difference in needed family income. [:sad4:]

However, as of July 2009, many ministers now have a way to substantially reduce, and in some cases eliminate, the burden of their student loan debt. This is made possible by taking advantage of two programs now offered by the Federal Government: Income-Based Repayment and Public Service Debt Forgiveness.

Public Service Debt Forgiveness is part of the federal College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007. This program discharges the remaining principal and interest after 10 years of monthly payments on loans serviced through the Direct Loans program of the Department of Education and applies to those who work in any number of public service fields. By law, this includes employees of all non-profit 501(c3) organizations, which includes the vast majority of ministers. However, Public Service Debt Forgiveness is only of limited value by itself because standard repayment plans have debts completely paid off in ten years. The only option for reducing actual payment amounts before the end of ten years was the Income Contingent Repayment plan.

Income-Based Repayment is a new payment plan made available on July 1, 2009. This plan, combined with Public Service Debt Forgiveness, is what produces the most value for most ministers. Income-Based Repayment introduces an entirely new formula for calculating monthly payments based largely on Adjusted Gross Income (taxable income), marital status, and family size. Ministers gain a distinct advantage in these calculations in that significant portions of income are not included in most ministers’ Adjusted Gross Income. A married minister (filing separately) with two children, a $50,000 per year income with $17,000 in housing and other allowances, and a balance of $35,000 will most likely have his monthly payment reduced to zero under Income-Based Repayment. Assuming ten more years of work in ministry, his entire balance will have been covered by the federal government.
source and more

What I find troubling is that ministers are considered to be public servants, those providing a public service. That they choose to rely on donations rather than a set fee for their work is their choice, so I don't see this a defining factor. Nor is the fact that they may volunteer to do community deeds for no pay, something many other citizens do as well.

So my question here is:

Why should ministers be regarded as public servants, those providing a public service, whose status entitles them to governmental forgiveness of student loan obligations?

Smoke

Done here.
What I find troubling is that ministers are considered to be public servants
I find it astonishing. But I guess it's a logical consequence of the legal fiction that private clubs operate for the benefit of the public.

Skwim

Veteran Member
But teachers -- or at least the 88% or so of them who teach in public schools -- actually are public servants.
No more so than police officers, firefighters, or those on road repair crews. I don't believe anyone on a government payroll gets the break ministers are given here. Just because one decides to go into the business of serving a spiritual belief should not entitle them to forgiveness of a debt.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This also applies to teachers.
BTW - I plugged in the numbers from the articles example case into the calculator on that site:

- Minister ($50,000 including $17,000 in non-taxable allowances, married with 2 children, filing jointly, $35,000 loan balance) - monthly payment: $0.

- Teacher ($50,000, no allowances, married with 2 children, filing jointly, $35,000 loan balance) - monthly payment: $210.

That's quite a difference.

Skwim

Veteran Member
BTW - I plugged in the numbers from the articles example case into the calculator on that site:

- Minister ($50,000 including $17,000 in non-taxable allowances, married with 2 children, filing jointly, $35,000 loan balance) - monthly payment: $0.

- Teacher ($50,000, no allowances, married with 2 children, filing jointly, $35,000 loan balance) - monthly payment: $210.

That's quite a difference.
Aaargh! :banghead3

Smoke

Done here.
No more so than police officers, firefighters, or those on road repair crews. I don't believe anyone on a government payroll gets the break ministers are given here. Just because one decides to go into the business of serving a spiritual belief should not entitle them to forgiveness of a debt.

I doubt that most clergy agree, though. I used to make collections calls on past-due debts, and I found that the hardest people to collect from, and the rudest, were doctors, lawyers, and ministers.

I used to say that all three groups thought they were God, but seriously, I think when you're used to be deferred to most of the time, it gives you a sense of entitlement that perhaps you'd be better off without.