• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't settle for happiness?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
This one may not be precisely on-topic -

3c8dc42a48d873c4330135224a7bee71.jpg

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Zen habits has this to say:

Happiness shouldn’t be something that happens to us in the future, maybe someday, if things go well. Happiness should be here and now, who we are now, with the people we’re with now, doing the things we’re doing now. And if we’re not with people who make us happy, and doing things that make us happy … then we should take action to make that happen.

https://zenhabits.net/the-only-guide-to-happiness-youll-ever-need/

Cheers.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
There is a site called Path to Happiness.

I have yet to explore it fully ... here is their resources page which includes "What's in the way of your happiness?"

Here is the resources page =

Path to Happiness

Enjoy!

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
We’re “supposed to be happy,” and in trying to be so, we push aside feelings that seem contrary to bliss.
In my view, the goal should be to conform to God's nature as one who is good and beautiful. We should strive to get rid of all aspects of our mind, thoughts, and memory that are not good and beautiful.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
when we suppress any feeling, we suppress all feelings
We can't remove bad thoughts and memories by suppressing them. Rather, we have to acknowledge them as existing and, through reflection and meditation, desiring that they don't occur anymore. Often they will just sort of disappear after a while.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The very well mind is another great site - yet 2 fully explore it -

Embracing negative emotions - sounds as daft as love-thy-enemy? ...

When we talk about so-called negative emotions, it's important to remember that these emotions, in themselves, aren't negative as in "bad," but more that they are in the realm of negativity as opposed to positivity. Emotions aren't necessarily good or bad, they are just states and signals that allow us to pay more attention to the events that create them, either to get us motivated to create more of a certain experience or less, for example. Unlike some emotions, they're not always pleasant to experience, but like most emotions, they exist for a reason and can actually be quite useful to feel.

For full article -

Can Embracing Negative Emotions Make You Happier?

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
In my view, the goal should be to conform to God's nature as one who is good and beautiful. We should strive to get rid of all aspects of our mind, thoughts, and memory that are not good and beautiful.

Or we could embrace our shadow-side with kindness & compassion ... for more along those lines -

I believe that the shadow is the greatest gift that God could give us. It is the teacher, the trainer, and the guide that supports us in uncovering our true magnificence. The shadow is not a problem to be solved or an enemy to be conquered, but a fertile field to be cultivated. Dig your hands into its rich soil and you will discover the potent seeds of the person you most desire to be. Our most hated, feared or shamed qualities are the ones that hold the key to living the life of our dreams. What the Shadow Process provides is a way to love what we have feared, to decode the messages we receive from within and to unleash the power that is hidden within you.

Copyright 2002 Debbie Ford

Also this link -

Find Happiness by Embracing All of Your Emotions - Mindful

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Found a few mind-maps about happiness - makes an interesting Google search - here is one I like -

happiness-mind-map.gif

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I tried a search for happiness natural high - turns up a few - for example -

Our body produces hundreds of neurochemicals. Only a small fraction of these have been identified by scientists. We will not know in our lifetime exactly how all of these molecules work. Albert Einstein believed that, "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." Based on this philosophy I have applied simple tags to 7 brain molecules and general descriptions of how each is linked with a feeling of well-being.

For more -

https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/the-athletes-way/201211/the-neurochemicals-happiness

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
It’s all wrong.

You’ve been hunting happiness for years, but have only captured it for moments.

You started out believing it would be wonderful, incredible, magical, but ended up finding it slippery, fleeting and ethereal.

And now you’re wondering if happiness itself is the biggest myth of all.

The truth is happiness isn’t a myth, but there are a number of entrenched myths surrounding it.

And they’ve sent you on a fruitless quest for a needle of happiness in a haystack of misinformation.

Myth 1: Achieving your goals equals happiness

You are told that daily striving for your goals and dreams is all well and fine, but true happiness lies in the moment of achievement – the
medal, the applause, the glory.

Sure, achieving your goals can give your happiness a temporary spike. But post-achievement blues are very common.

For the rest click here -

7 Persistent Myths that Could Destroy Your Happiness

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Why Happiness is the Wrong Pursuit

by Christine Carter, syndicated from Greater Good, Feb 05, 2015

The way to lead a joyful life is not to pursue happiness for ourselves, argues Christine Carter, but to pursue it for others

Money doesn’t buy happiness. Obvious, right?

On some abstract level, we know that money and other outward signs of success won’t ultimately make us happy—perhaps because we know wealthy or famous or powerful people who are deeply unhappy—but on another level, we don’t really believe it… or at least we don’t believe it applies to us. Money might not buy other people happiness, we think, but I know I’d be happier living in a bigger house in a better neighborhood, driving a different car.

Why do we experience such a disconnect between what we know to be true in the abstract and what we believe is true for us?

For the rest try the daily good site -

Why Happiness is the Wrong Pursuit, by Christine Carter

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
What's So Great About Happiness, Anyway? (The Answer: Plenty!)

By June Silny

Here are 14 research-backed reasons why it's totally worth striving for.

Who needs another habit to worry about? You barely have enough hours in the day to fit everything in, let alone trying to exercise a couple times a week and sleep 7 hours instead of 5…why add trying to be happier to your to-do list? Well, here are 14 facts about happiness that prove the effort is truly worthwhile.

The full list is here -

https://www.happify.com/hd/whats-so-great-about-happiness/

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Another book I would recommend is "Happy for no reason" ... here is a little taste -

“Happy for No Reason isn’t elation, euphoria, mood spikes or peak experiences
that don’t last. It doesn’t mean grinning like a fool 24/7 or experiencing a
superficial high. Happy for No Reason isn’t an emotion. In fact, when you are
Happy for No Reason, you can have any emotion—including sadness, fear, anger,
or hurt—but you still experience that underlying state of peace and well-being…
When you’re Happy for No Reason, you bring happiness to your outer experiences
rather than trying to extract happiness from them. You don’t need to manipulate
the world around you to try to make yourself happy. You live from happiness,
rather than for happiness.”

For more try this pdf -

https://experiencelife.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/11-happy-for-no-reason.pdf

Or search in YouTube -

marci shimoff - YouTube

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Here are some happiness cliches -

The Science Behind 5 Classic Happiness Clichés

Plus an interesting google search ...

Happiness Cliché #1: “Don’t worry, be happy.”

What the cliché really means: It’s okay to feel life’s ups and downs.

The happiness and positive psychology movements, while revolutionary, have had one major negative side effect: an expectation that we are happy all the time.

Over the last few years, I’ve seen an upsurge in young adults who come to therapy mistaking the downs and struggle of everyday life as a sign of something gone seriously wrong. Multiple young people have needed my assurance that it’s normal to feel sad after a breakup, fine to be anxious at exam time, or okay to feel unsure during a big transition. They worry that feeling anything less than happy, motivated, and radiating confidence isn’t good enough.

Therefore, instead of “don’t worry, be happy,” let’s update the saying to include normal emotional variation. Indeed, it’s okay to feel incompetent, especially when you’re pushing yourself to learn something new. It’s totally normal to feel anxious when you don’t have a ton of experience doing something. It’s important to feel bored occasionally—the best ideas are born when our minds aren’t otherwise occupied with Netflix, YouTube, or even, dare I say, podcasts.

Let’s take it even further: if we’re willing to frontload feeling lousy, we set ourselves up for true happiness. What do I mean? A 2018 study found that the activities that make us happiest—those that allow us to enter a flow state—are often inconvenient and suck up a lot of bandwidth.