• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't say that name

There is a Jewish tradition where people don't even type the name of God or say it. They say "G-d"

I think it is little hypocrite. Basically they are the same and it is as bad to say “G-d” in vain as it is to say “God” in vain.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
There is no biblical law that says that the name Jahweh cannot be used.

The JW cult, who use the Hebrew scriptures that have been translated to English, refuse to translate the name of God to their language; Why are they so afraid to say; "I am true to my God 'WHO I AM?' "

.”

Christianity started as a cult, and probably would have never evolved past cult status if not for that tax collector who claimed himself blind on his way to Damacus and then miraculously able to see again when in Damacus with the spirit of no longer persecuting Christians, but rather promoting their beliefs.

Craig Sedok

Why were people not allowed to say the name Yahweh? Does killing somebody for saying a person's name make sense? Sounds like the epitome of cruel narcissistic power trip.

I wonder if such a God could have a sense of humor?

Well, probably because it was better than a rulers way. It was either my way or the Highweh. A glorious path to execution. And as far as power goes, there is only one worth following.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
There is no biblical law that says that the name Jahweh cannot be used.

It seems as if you cannot separate an English translation from a transliteration here. I have never seen anyone write God's name that way.
In Hebrew it is YHWH.....in English it is Jehovah, or if you prefer the transliteration (how it may have been pronounced in the Hebrew language) Yahweh.....there is no "J" in Hebrew, hence all the "J" names in the Bible would have to be changed into their transliterated equivalents.

Because the greater majority of scholars believe that the English translation of JHWH is "WHO I AM."
For the Hebrews to say I am true to JHWH, they are in reality saying, "I am true to 'WHO I AM."

Then 'the greater majority of scholars' would be wrong. אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה is the divine name in Hebrew and it does not mean "Who I Am" at all. Who told you that?

From the Tanach.....Exodus 3:13-15....
"13 And Moses said to God, "Behold I come to the children of Israel, and I say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they say to me, 'What is His name?' what shall I say to them?"

14 God said to Moses, "Ehyeh asher ehyeh (I will be what I will be)," and He said, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'Ehyeh (I will be) has sent me to you.'"

In Hebrew you can clearly see the divine name in the text.
ידוַיֹּ֤אמֶר אֱלֹהִים֙ אֶל־משֶׁ֔ה אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה אֲשֶׁ֣ר אֶֽהְיֶ֑ה וַיֹּ֗אמֶר כֹּ֤ה תֹאמַר֙ לִבְנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה שְׁלָחַ֥נִי אֲלֵיכֶֽם:

15 And God said further to Moses, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'The Lord God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is My name forever, and this is how I should be mentioned in every generation."

Shemot - Exodus - Chapter 3 (Parshah Shemot)

This is a name that the Jews failed to use throughout their generations. Taking the Lord's name in vain never meant to stop using it...it meant to stop behavior that brought reproach on the one bearing the name. Rather than stop the behavior, or from making frivolous oaths in God's name as some were want to do, they simply stopped using God's name in their speech, although it remains in its written form in their scripture.
Their attitude was tantamount to "Straining at gnats but gulping down camels" as Jesus called it.

The JW cult, who use the Hebrew scriptures that have been translated to English, refuse to translate the name of God to their language; Why are they so afraid to say; "I am true to my God 'WHO I AM?' "

Jesus was seen as the leader of a cult....it didn't make him one.

And as far as refusing to translate the name of God into their language...we are one of very few who even see the need to honor it.
Our Bible translation puts the divine name back in God's word where it belongs.
BTW, "Jehovah" is the English translation.

TravisW

I believe the tradition of not even saying the name of God stemmed more from Jews beginning to practice a cautionary religion (they can’t say God’s name in vain if they do not say it at all). I may be wrong on this.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I believe the tradition of not even saying the name of God stemmed more from Jews beginning to practice a cautionary religion (they can’t say God’s name in vain if they do not say it at all). I may be wrong on this.
That is pretty spot on actually.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Christianity started as a cult, and probably would have never evolved past cult status if not for that tax collector who claimed himself blind on his way to Damacus and then miraculously able to see again when in Damacus with the spirit of no longer persecuting Christians, but rather promoting their beliefs.

Is that your viewpoint or is there something more that backs up your statement? o_O

Christianity started off with "a prophet like Moses" who was sent by God to rescue "the lost sheep of the house of Israel" from a corrupted religious system that no longer served their God the way he asked them to. Just as Moses liberated the nation of Abraham's descendants from slavery in Egypt, so Jesus Christ was going to liberate a remnant of right-hearted Jews from slavery to a system that had lost interest in pleasing God, in favor of pleasing themselves, and who had no time for anyone who did not bow to them as those occupying "the seat of Moses". Jesus never did.

The last time I looked Paul was a Pharisee who was a tentmaker by trade. His encounter with Jesus on the road to Damascus changed his life and also the lives of those who listened to his message. He humbly accepted his assignment even though it was going to mean a perilous life from that time onward. He copped it all on the chin and endured much persecution from his own people, just like his teacher. He saw it as a way to make amends for all the wrongs he had committed against his new spiritual family.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
It seems as if you cannot separate an English translation from a transliteration here. I have never seen anyone write God's name that way.
In Hebrew it is YHWH.....in English it is Jehovah, or if you prefer the transliteration (how it may have been pronounced in the Hebrew language) Yahweh.....there is no "J" in Hebrew, hence all the "J" names in the Bible would have to be changed into their transliterated equivalents.

Then 'the greater majority of scholars' would be wrong. אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה is the divine name in Hebrew and it does not mean "Who I Am" at all. Who told you that?

From the Tanach.....Exodus 3:13-15....
"13 And Moses said to God, "Behold I come to the children of Israel, and I say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they say to me, 'What is His name?' what shall I say to them?"

14 God said to Moses, "Ehyeh asher ehyeh (I will be what I will be)," and He said, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'Ehyeh (I will be) has sent me to you.'"

In Hebrew you can clearly see the divine name in the text.
ידוַיֹּ֤אמֶר אֱלֹהִים֙ אֶל־משֶׁ֔ה אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה אֲשֶׁ֣ר אֶֽהְיֶ֑ה וַיֹּ֗אמֶר כֹּ֤ה תֹאמַר֙ לִבְנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה שְׁלָחַ֥נִי אֲלֵיכֶֽם:

15 And God said further to Moses, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'The Lord God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is My name forever, and this is how I should be mentioned in every generation."

Shemot - Exodus - Chapter 3 (Parshah Shemot)

This is a name that the Jews failed to use throughout their generations. Taking the Lord's name in vain never meant to stop using it...it meant to stop behavior that brought reproach on the one bearing the name. Rather than stop the behavior, or from making frivolous oaths in God's name as some were want to do, they simply stopped using God's name in their speech, although it remains in its written form in their scripture.
Their attitude was tantamount to "Straining at gnats but gulping down camels" as Jesus called it.

Our Bible translation puts the divine name back in God's word where it belongs.
BTW, "Jehovah" is the English translation.

Actually, all you really need to do is replace that J, with a Y. See the video above.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Actually, all you really need to do is replace that J, with a Y. See the video above.
Its not really about the letters.....the divine name can be translated into any language. Since God is the originator of language he understands his own name in any tongue. It isn't how you say it, its that you use God's name in your language with the respect it is due.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Is that your viewpoint or is there something more that backs up your statement? o_O

Christianity started off with "a prophet like Moses" who was sent by God to rescue "the lost sheep of the house of Israel" from a corrupted religious system that no longer served their God the way he asked them to. Just as Moses liberated the nation of Abraham's descendants from slavery in Egypt, so Jesus Christ was going to liberate a remnant of right-hearted Jews from slavery to a system that had lost interest in pleasing God, in favor of pleasing themselves, and who had no time for anyone who did not bow to them as those occupying "the seat of Moses". Jesus never did.

The last time I looked Paul was a Pharisee who was a tentmaker by trade. His encounter with Jesus on the road to Damascus changed his life and also the lives of those who listened to his message. He humbly accepted his assignment even though it was going to mean a perilous life from that time onward. He copped it all on the chin and endured much persecution from his own people, just like his teacher. He saw it as a way to make amends for all the wrongs he had committed against his new spiritual family.

Thank you, that's right, Paul is the name of the person who allegedly envisioned Jesus on the road to Damascus, and his listed occupation according to the Bible was a tent maker rather than tax collector. Sorry, it's been a while since a Bible has been read by me and I didn't bother looking up the correct information about this early and highly influential Christian leader named Paul.

The Abraham story cannot be definitively related to any specific time, and it is widely agreed that the patriarchal age, along with the exodus and the period of the judges, is a late literary construct that does not relate to any period in actual history." Reference: Abraham - Wikipedia

Since there's neither archaeological nor historical evidence Abraham actually existed outside of any religious mythology, neither Judaism nor Christianity could have likely been actually influenced by this evidently non-existent mythological character of Abraham. Although, the mythological stories of Abraham has certainly influenced the religions of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Right?

Lots of the New Testament was written by the apostle Paul decades after Jesus was crucified on the cross by Roman soldiers in Jerusalem . Right? Some claim Moses wrote the early books of the Old Testament, but there's much doubt about whether he actually even existed as depicted in the Bible.

Much of the Bible is simply bronze age mythology that shouldn't be taken to heart.

The alleged biblical plagues infesting Egypt would have totally devastated Egypt, yet this devastion of Egypt is never mentioned anywhere outside of the Bible. An Egypt weakened by plagues, death of its firstborn sons, and drowning of its army would have been noticed by its neighbors and such a devastated Egypt likely would have been taken advantage of by one of its neighboring rivals, yet none of that ever happened. Egypt's rivals certainly wouldn't have had an incentive to cover up such disasters to Egypt of biblical proportions.

I'm not a Christian, but I suspect most Christians and Jews would even agree with me that the Exodus of Jews from an Egyptian pharaoh's oppression is just mythology.

As I've noted elsewhere in some other discussions about Christianity, Jesus's family tree has a time span of 77 generations listed between his generation and Adam whom the Bible claims was the "first man". Reference: (Matthew 1:1-16 & Luke 3:23-38)

However, the Australian aborigines have evidently been in Australia for over a thousand consecutive generations. Reference: Aboriginal Australians - Wikipedia

There have been hundreds of generations of Native Americans between the time their common ancestry migrated from Asia until the time of Christ.
Reference: Native Americans in the United States - Wikipedia

The Bible falsely claims there were only 77 generations between Christ and the first man; when people have indeed actually existed for thousands of generations, which proves the Bible and Christianity as being false. Right?

Last edited:

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Its not really about the letters.....the divine name can be translated into any language. Since God is the originator of language he understands his own name in any tongue. It isn't how you say it, its that you use God's name in your language with the respect it is due.

You're right; it's not about the pronunciation, the language- or even the name itself. But for the sake of historical accuracy, Yahweh doesn't include the correct vowels, and as you've noted, there is no J in Hebrew.