• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't say that name

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Why were people not allowed to say the name Yahweh? Does killing somebody for saying a person's name make sense? Sounds like the epitome of cruel narcissistic power trip.

I wonder if such a God could have a sense of humor?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Why were people not allowed to say the name Yahweh? Does killing somebody for saying a person's name make sense? Sounds like the epitome of cruel narcissistic power trip.

I'd imagine it is a form of idolatry. Once you have a name you start to assume knowledge of God. Don't some define God as unknowable?

I imagine Jews would see Jesus Christ as a pretty big sin in idolatry.

74x12

When you read the stories of Moses, David etc. People often said God's name in day to day conversation. It's only later that the Rabbinic Judaism decided that they could not say God's name. And started saying "Ha Shem" or "Adonai" instead.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Ach, The Life of Brian.

One of those masterpieces of western civilization that would not have existed without the influence of Christianity.

Ciao

- viole

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

It is something! I mean, King David, Moses, all the prophets, even Yahweh himself, used the Name, and advocated & praised it. This idea of not being allowed to say it, to replace it w/ "LORD"... it seems to me to be an effort by His enemy, the Devil, to get people to forget Him!

And it's worked: whenever people read "LORD" in the Bible, they think of Jesus...not his Father, Yahweh/Jehovah.

GoodbyeDave

The practice of saying "Lord" instead is pre-Christian: the Jews who created the Septuagint did it in Greek. But the name Yahweh was still heard in Palestine in Roman times, as Bishop Epiphanius observed. There was also a pronunciation Yao, but I'm not sure how that came about.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
I once said Pink Unicorn once and I grew a horn,
it took forever to file it down.
Never said that again, out loud !

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Now I'm confused.

What happens if a Christian henceforth uses the name of Jesus Christ who is also considered God?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
To the best of my understanding, the idea seems to be that giving oneself the authority to speak the name of God will unavoidably lead to some form of abuse and disrespect, even if unintentional.

Therefore, only qualified priests or even full prophets (or perhaps only scripture) would be recognized as worth of actually using such a name. Perhaps not even them.

The intent seems to be to preserve and maintain a climate of proper reverence and ceremony.

At some level, it also establishes the boundaries of perceived proper religious authority and obedience.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I don’t think you have understood what the Bible tells. It doesn’t forbid to say the name, it says, don’t use it in vain. It is not same as don’t use it at all.
There is a Jewish tradition where people don't even type the name of God or say it. They say "G-d"

Spiderman

Veteran Member
They say "G-d"?

It's a Jewish tradition?

And you came to this conclusion because.........?
I should have said, it is typed G-d. I didn't mean they pronounce it like that in real life.

I accept correction. Sometimes when someone types something online, I say "said" when what I'm referring to is "typed."

The Anointed

There is no biblical law that says that the name Jahweh cannot be used.

Because the greater majority of scholars believe that the English translation of JHWH is "WHO I AM."
For the Hebrews to say I am true to JHWH, they are in reality saying, "I am true to 'WHO I AM."

The JW cult, who use the Hebrew scriptures that have been translated to English, refuse to translate the name of God to their language; Why are they so afraid to say; "I am true to my God 'WHO I AM?' "

Who I am, is connected to the very beginning by a slender genetic thread of life, who I am has been evolving from the beginning of time, and has never died in the process of evolving from what, 'WHO I AM' was in the past to what 'WHO I AM" has become today.

For this reason, I, the developing mind in this body that 'WHO I Am,' has become, will remain true and be an evolutionary extension to my God, "WHO I AM."

JHWH, the name that is given to all the sons of God, the only name by which we are saved. I am my own judge, and if I condemn 'WHO I AM' then who I am is condemned.

John 17: 11-12; "I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one. While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.

John 8: 28-29; GNB, So Jesus said, "When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I AM WHO I AM,' and that I do nothing on my own authority, but speak just what the Father has taught me. The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases him."

Other translations have; "When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am HE." He, being the Son of Man, who put HIS WORDS into the mouth of his prophet, the man Jesus, who he raised up from among the Israelites to speak HIS WORDS in HIS NAME.

Deuteronomy 18: 18; "I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites, and I will put MY WORDS in his mouth. He will tell them everything I command him. I myself will call to account anyone who does not listen to MY WORDS that the prophet speaks in MY NAME.

And the words that came out of the mouth of the prophet Jesus, were the words of God's only begotten Son, the Son of Man, who was chosen by Abraham as his God, and who is born of the sinful body of EVE, the pregnant androgynous body of mankind, who she has become, the mother of HE, who descends from his heights in time, to hold himself accountable for the sins of the body in which he develops and bruises the head of the great deceiver, justifying the life of the sinful woman.

Psalms 51: 5; The Spirit cries out; "Behold! I was shapen in iniquity and in sin did my mother conceive me."

God said to the great deceiver, Genesis 3: 15; RSV; " I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.”

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I don’t think you have understood what the Bible tells. It doesn’t forbid to say the name, it says, don’t use it in vain. It is not same as don’t use it at all.
You're right, it's not the same at all!

However, what @PopeADope is referencing, is accurate. A superstition developed among the Jews, that the Name was "too holy" even to pronounce, or write, but did King David or Moses feel this way? Were they disrespecting it? No. They loved Yahweh / Jehovah, and what His Name meant: "He Causes To Become."

Praising it, as they did, in no way was "in vain"!
If Jehovah had disapproved of their using it, He wouldn't have helped them, as He did!

Last edited: