• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't lie to me...

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
There's no guarantee of joy on earth. The Bible NEVER promises that.
And the Bible also says we should not be looking of joy in our earthly life.

John 12:24-26 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's true... but when you think you can do better than God, in which we all would have to agree that we don't know everything, I think that is a little over the top. Although, I would agree that understanding it would be important as with asking questions.
For reasons totally opaque, God never chooses to be seen or heard, let alone to be acting or speaking, and so all we have are statements by our fellow humans. So of course we judge those statements, as to speaker and as to time in history and as to contents, again and again. Why would we not?
To see it, you would have to look for it.

For and example, John Newton, slave trader and a captain of ships, turned abolitionist.

Angie, age 17, with gun in her hand with two bullets, one for her child and one for herself while pregnant because if living with her drug addict boyfriend is life, she wasn't going to have it. Now being sent all over the US working for Harris Corporation - married and happy.

Or myself, ready to commit adultery turned faithful and helping lives such as Angie to have find transformation.

There are innumerable examples to many to count.
I note all these and they are reports with the power to gladden the hearer.

But they're all completely compatible with what I said, that the world behaves exactly as if God were only a concept or thing imagined, in individual brains.
Human sacrifice is repulsive, yet the sacrifice of a man throwing himself on a grenade to save his brothers-in-arms is extolled and glorified. One person said, "No greater love a man than when he gives his life for another", happens all the time.
I STILL don't get it. WHAT hand grenade? WHY would an omnipotent being need a human sacrifice at all? ─ the NT makes it plain that Jesus was on a suicide mission. WHAT did it change? WHY was it necessary?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
For reasons totally opaque, God never chooses to be seen or heard, let alone to be acting or speaking, and so all we have are statements by our fellow humans. So of course we judge those statements, as to speaker and as to time in history and as to contents, again and again. Why would we not?

Interesting how two people can see the same information and come to two completely different positions

1 John 1:1
That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we looked upon and have touched with our hands, concerning the word of life—

TPT We saw him with our very own eyes. We gazed upon him and heard him speak. Our hands actually touched him, the one who was from the beginning, the Living Expression of God.

MSG From the very first day, we were there, taking it all in—we heard it with our own ears, saw it with our own eyes, verified it with our own hands. The Word of Life appeared right before our eyes; we saw it happen! And now we’re telling you in most sober prose that what we witnessed was, incredibly, this: The infinite Life of God himself took shape before us.

John 14:9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?

Seem like God was very specific... seen and heard. Maybe He has spoken to you personally and you just didn't recognize His voice?

I note all these and they are reports with the power to gladden the hearer.

But they're all completely compatible with what I said, that the world behaves exactly as if God were only a concept or thing imagined, in individual brains.

Wow... again... same information and yet different conclusions... but it sure fits what I said, God is making people better. It was there all along, but you just didn't see it as God. Not an uncommon occurrence. As I looked at my life, I realized God was protecting me and was there all along but just didn't recognize it. I threw it out as chance or "just seeing things". :)

I STILL don't get it. WHAT hand grenade? WHY would an omnipotent being need a human sacrifice at all? ─ the NT makes it plain that Jesus was on a suicide mission. WHAT did it change? WHY was it necessary?

You don't understand an analogy for why someone dying for another is a common occurrence and it is extolled and glorified? Is "a suicide mission" to help others any less important?
In 1943, several US airmen went on a suicide mission. Two men were awarded a Medal of Honor for Separate Acts of Heroism in One Cursed Bomber

Or is it that you are not interested in someone sent to help human kind? I think I said this before, he paid the penalty for humankind's shortcomings--the ones we still see going on today.

What did it change? Well... it certainly changed my life, my wife, my family and Angie and the slave trader. It brought God's kingdom into our lives and gave us keys to help live on this earth as well as our hereafter

Some aren't interested and we respect that..

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Interesting how two people can see the same information and come to two completely different positions
It's one of the more informative aspects of conversation, I'd say.
1 John 1:1
That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we looked upon and have touched with our hands, concerning the word of life—

TPT We saw him with our very own eyes. We gazed upon him and heard him speak. Our hands actually touched him, the one who was from the beginning, the Living Expression of God.
Those are claims to have seen Jesus, not God. And even then they're not credible claims ─ we have no reason to think any NT author ever met an historical Jesus.
MSG From the very first day, we were there, taking it all in—we heard it with our own ears, saw it with our own eyes, verified it with our own hands. The Word of Life appeared right before our eyes; we saw it happen! And now we’re telling you in most sober prose that what we witnessed was, incredibly, this: The infinite Life of God himself took shape before us.
That's describing an emotional moment, possibly real, probably rhetorical. Not a single detail is offered that suggests anything real was manifested, nor is the abstract language appropriate for a real encounter.
John 14:9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
I'm with Philip. Jesus is saying, If you live in Botswana and you've met the American Ambassador to Botswana, you've met Joe Biden. Only in metaphor, not in reality. And in this case, at least we know what and who Joe Biden is. By contrast, there's no description of God appropriate to a being with objective existence.
Seem like God was very specific... seen and heard. Maybe He has spoken to you personally and you just didn't recognize His voice?
So God is a male? Of what species? What does [his] body look like? How does it differ from the body of a male H. sap. sap.?

What language does God speak? If [he] has objective existence, I'd hear [him] through my ears, note [his] accent, [his] delivery, [his] register, [his] particular choices of words. I could also watch [his] face as [he] spoke, note [his] expression, [his] body language, [his] grooming, [his] clothing, if any. But there's no credible account of any such thing. In fact there are scarcely any incredible accounts of a real god either. (Obviously eg the burning bush is a story, and anyway would not be the form of a real entity.)

If God is real, these question must have real answers. If God is purely conceptual / imaginary then they have no real answers.
It was there all along, but you just didn't see it as God.
It's not as if I haven't made >due enquiry<.
As I looked at my life, I realized God was protecting me and was there all along but just didn't recognize it. I threw it out as chance or "just seeing things". :)
But if God protects people without their knowing, is not [his] performance in this role correctly described as abysmal? Three million dead before their time from Covid, and counting daily, for example? And I dare say no shortage of Christians among them.
You don't understand an analogy for why someone dying for another is a common occurrence and it is extolled and glorified? Is "a suicide mission" to help others any less important?
BUT WHY would an omnipotent benevolent entity opt for a suicide mission when with one snap of those mighty fingers [he] could have any result [he] wanted without bloodshed or indeed any suffering at all?
he paid the penalty for humankind's shortcomings--the ones we still see going on today.
WHY would an omnipotent benevolent God impose a penalty? What's really required is a healing, surely?

Should I find myself omnipotently and omnisciently and benevolently in charge of the universe, I assure you there'd be no mention of Hell or punishment anywhere. Just understanding and healing.

Last edited:

Kenny

Premium Member
It's one of the more informative aspects of conversation, I'd say.

:)

Those are claims to have seen Jesus, not God. And even then they're not credible claims ─ we have no reason to think any NT author ever met an historical Jesus.

Of course... just like we could say that no one ever met the historical George Washington.

That's describing an emotional moment, possibly real, probably rhetorical. Not a single detail is offered that suggests anything real was manifested, nor is the abstract language appropriate for a real encounter.

I think he was quite clear.

I'm with Philip. Jesus is saying, If you live in Botswana and you've met the American Ambassador to Botswana, you've met Joe Biden. Only in metaphor, not in reality. And in this case, at least we know what and who Joe Biden is. By contrast, there's no description of God appropriate to a being with objective existence.

John believed otherwise. "And the Word was God"... or as another one said "Emmanuel, God with us".

So God is a male? Of what species? What does [his] body look like? How does it differ from the body of a male H. sap. sap.?

What language does God speak? If [he] has objective existence, I'd hear [him] through my ears, note [his] accent, [his] delivery, [his] register, [his] particular choices of words. I could also watch [his] face as [he] spoke, note [his] expression, [his] body language, [his] grooming, [his] clothing, if any. But there's no credible account of any such thing. In fact there are scarcely any incredible accounts of a real god either. (Obviously eg the burning bush is a story, and anyway would not be the form of a real entity.)

If God is real, these question must have real answers. If God is purely conceptual / imaginary then they have no real answers.

Do you you have evidence that Father means Mother? Of the spirit species. He speaks all languages. Have you ever really asked Him to speak to you? My impression is that you have basically turned Him off.

But if God protects people without their knowing, is not [his] performance in this role correctly described as abysmal? Three million dead before their time from Covid, and counting daily, for example? And I dare say no shortage of Christians among them.

Not at all IMV. He didn't create puppets on a string. Free will is still in operation. I suppose if I got wild and crazy, eventually crazy has its natural consequences.

BUT WHY would an omnipotent benevolent entity opt for a suicide mission when with one snap of those mighty fingers [he] could have any result [he] wanted without bloodshed or indeed any suffering at all?

Because He is a God of order? Because He gave the earth to mankind and if He snapped His fingers He would be a liar? The Word became a man to enter the world legally and not illegally

WHY would an omnipotent benevolent God impose a penalty? What's really required is a healing, surely?

Should I find myself omnipotently and omnisciently and benevolently in charge of the universe, I assure you there'd be no mention of Hell or punishment anywhere. Just understanding and healing.

you mean why are there laws and consequences?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
... just like we could say that no one ever met the historical George Washington.
If there was an historical Jesus then it follows he met people. But if there was and he did, none of them left us a personal record of it. Everything in the NT is hearsay.
I think he was quite clear.
That's a conclusion I can see no sign of.
John believed otherwise. "And the Word was God"...
But though Paul and the four gospel authors agree that that Jesus was not God, none was more emphatic on the point than the author of John. (If you'd find quotes helpful, just ask.) Instead John's Jesus, like Paul's, was the demiurge, the being who pre-existed in heaven with God and who (regardless of what Genesis says) created the material universe, something that the gnostic God was far too spiritually pure ever to undertake.
or as another one said "Emmanuel, God with us".
Oh dear, not Christian claims that the Tanakh prophesies Jesus! (Facepalm.)
Of the spirit species.
But no objective test can distinguish the 'spiritual', the 'supernatural', the 'immaterial' from the purely conceptual / imaginary. For God to be real, God must exist in nature. That's what 'real' means.
Have you ever really asked Him to speak to you?
Indeed ─ as on the link in my previous post.

Alas, I still have no clue why Jesus had to die, no clue what was different afterwards, no clue how an omnipotent benevolent being could ever think a human sacrifice was a wonderful idea.

I find no connection with the example of the soldier diving on the grenade, which shows an instinctive reaction to a team situation ─ whereas, as the gospels tell it, Jesus orchestrates a suicide carefully planned at least a year beforehand, and pursues that end relentlessly.

And as I said, from an omnipotent omniscient benevolent god I expect perfect understanding and healing. Punishment in those circumstances is sadism pure and simple, the kind of thinking that prevailed in the early iron age.

thomas t

non-denominational Christian
To my observation, the world behaves exactly as if God were only an idea held by an individual.
@KenS replied just fine. I'd like to add that you simply don't knoe if there is a God behind. You merely assume that a potential God does not influence his creation and pass it of as "observation".
You don't have a second world that you know is running without a creator God. So you cannot compare.

Kenny

Premium Member
If there was an historical Jesus then it follows he met people. But if there was and he did, none of them left us a personal record of it. Everything in the NT is hearsay.

I would disagree. I find that between Matthew and John (disciples) and the biography given by Luke is more than sufficient.

But though Paul and the four gospel authors agree that that Jesus was not God, none was more emphatic on the point than the author of John. (If you'd find quotes helpful, just ask.) Instead John's Jesus, like Paul's, was the demiurge, the being who pre-existed in heaven with God and who (regardless of what Genesis says) created the material universe, something that the gnostic God was far too spiritually pure ever to undertake.

I disagree again. John was specific as well as Paul and statements in the others point towards Jesus being God. The appearance you are suggesting is more like you are trying to force a square peg in a round hole.

Oh dear, not Christian claims that the Tanakh prophesies Jesus! (Facepalm.)

But of course. :) Just go to the Gospels and look up "as it was written" or "fulfilling" and other words that mean the same.

But no objective test can distinguish the 'spiritual', the 'supernatural', the 'immaterial' from the purely conceptual / imaginary. For God to be real, God must exist in nature. That's what 'real' means.

I believe nature indeed does point that God must exist.

Indeed ─ as on the link in my previous post.

Alas, I still have no clue why Jesus had to die, no clue what was different afterwards, no clue how an omnipotent benevolent being could ever think a human sacrifice was a wonderful idea.

I find no connection with the example of the soldier diving on the grenade, which shows an instinctive reaction to a team situation ─ whereas, as the gospels tell it, Jesus orchestrates a suicide carefully planned at least a year beforehand, and pursues that end relentlessly.

And as I said, from an omnipotent omniscient benevolent god I expect perfect understanding and healing. Punishment in those circumstances is sadism pure and simple, the kind of thinking that prevailed in the early iron age.

With all the information I have given it sounds more like, Matthew 13:57. As I mentioned about the suicide bombing mission, yes, carefully orchestrated and planned millenniums ago. :)

And, as always, perfect understanding and healing is always offered for those who want it. Punishment is what judges do and at no time do we say, "Punishing a thief is sadistic"... unless one's thinking is twisted.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
@KenS replied just fine. I'd like to add that you simply don't knoe if there is a God behind. You merely assume that a potential God does not influence his creation and pass it of as "observation".
I don't even know what real thing the word 'God' is intended to denote, and no one seems able to tell me.

It seems to be generally accepted among believers that God is "immaterial" or "spiritual", that's to say entirely conceptual / imaginary.
You don't have a second world that you know is running without a creator God. So you cannot compare.
Same reply: what real thing do you intend to denote when you say "creator God"?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I would disagree. I find that between Matthew and John (disciples) and the biography given by Luke is more than sufficient.
But none of them claims to be an eyewitness account; and if it's not an eyewitness account then it can only be hearsay.
I disagree again. John was specific as well as Paul and statements in the others point towards Jesus being God. The appearance you are suggesting is more like you are trying to force a square peg in a round hole.
Come now, old friend! The history of the Trinity doctrine is plain and its main parts undisputed: there was no Trinity doctrine till the 4th century CE, and each of the Jesuses of Paul and the authors of Mark, Matthew, Luke and John expressly deny they're God ─ 100%, backed up by none of them ever claiming to be God.
But of course. :) Just go to the Gospels and look up "as it was written" or "fulfilling" and other words that mean the same.
This, alas, is a matter the gospels can't be trusted on.
I believe nature indeed does point that God must exist.
Wouldn't we need a hard definition of a real God before that could be the case?
And, as always, perfect understanding and healing is always offered for those who want it. Punishment is what judges do and at no time do we say, "Punishing a thief is sadistic"... unless one's thinking is twisted.
That's not what an omniscient omnipotent benevolent God would do. [He]'d understand all the way through, the reason for every act, and [he]'d heal unconditionally ─ Hitler, Genghis Khan, Trump, everyone.

We Never Know

No Slack
Funny thing, I was listening to sort of philosophical argument about religion the other day, and suddenly heard music that I have know just about literally all of my life:

Jesus loves me, this I know
For the Bible tells me so
Little ones to Him belong
They are weak, but He is strong

Like many of you, I was taught this when I was very little, and the words and music are indelibly imprinted on my mind. (This is not all that strange -- as someone who loves to act and sing, I have a fabulous memory for music and lyrics. I can remember things, even in other languages, that I learned 60 years ago and more.)

But back to the lie...maybe it was just this simple how Christianity lost me as a customer (or tithe payer, which I think they prefer). You see, when I was very, very little, my step-father used to enjoy drinking himself stupid, and then coming home and beating up his wife (my mother) and me. I lived with them in this horror from the ages of 4 to 7, and at 5 and 7, he did in fact nearly kill me. Then the Children's Aid won a court order that severed me from them forever.

But, what happens to a kid who hears this really important, so-called truth: that there is an immensely powerful being who loves me, and is so much stronger than everybody else that he can also save me? And then that kid goes home, likely to be beaten up by somebody 8 times his size, possibly leading to another trip to the hospital -- and who actually asks this Jesus for help?

What is he likely to wind up believing? That Jesus loves him? That Jesus is strong enough to stop the hurt? Or that none of that seems to be true?

And how do you rate the likelihood that this bull**** cost the church another believer?
In case no one else has done it, allow me..

Kenny

Premium Member
But none of them claims to be an eyewitness account; and if it's not an eyewitness account then it can only be hearsay.

I disagree. Did you want the to say, "As an eyewitness for the benefit of Blu and all other people"?

Come now, old friend! The history of the Trinity doctrine is plain and its main parts undisputed: there was no Trinity doctrine till the 4th century CE, and each of the Jesuses of Paul and the authors of Mark, Matthew, Luke and John expressly deny they're God ─ 100%, backed up by none of them ever claiming to be God.

So.. let me translate this... you are saying "Yes, they actually do say the Jesus was God, but you believe that the concept wasn't quantified until the 4th century.

Actually, you are wrong. Tertullian, 3rd century, qualified it and, of course, the scriptures written in th 1st and 2nd century also qualified it.

It was the problems of the 4th century that required it to be written down for future generations.

This, alas, is a matter the gospels can't be trusted on.

IMV, this sounds like "Any excuse is a good excuse when you don't want to subscribe to a position". The people of that time had no problem believing.

I don't think so. We believed there were dark holes and we still can't quite define it (only partially). I don't need to define the artist to know that there is artwork before me. For me, symbiotic relationships is just one of many examples.

That's not what an omniscient omnipotent benevolent God would do. [He]'d understand all the way through, the reason for every act, and [he]'d heal unconditionally ─ Hitler, Genghis Khan, Trump, everyone.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) since you are not omniscient or omnipotent, you don't qualify to determine that. The gift is for everyone was available for Hitler et al... but if one doesn't want to receive it or participate it, it's called free will... remember the Adam and Eve story?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I disagree. Did you want the to say, "As an eyewitness for the benefit of Blu and all other people"?
Either you're an eyewitness or you're not, and no NT author is or even claims to be. And if you're not an eyewitness then you're a hearsayer.
Yes, they actually do say the Jesus was God
Nothing of the kind in the NT, only its express negation ─ but by the third century the strand of Christianity who wanted the central figure of Christianity to be a god was taking developed form. This trend was criticized by Jewish onlookers as polytheism just like the pagans. So politically wishing to avoid such jibes, they rejected polytheism hence the idea of a team or partnership, they rejected the idea that Father Jesus and Ghost were all manifestations of a single will, and finally in the 4th century the Trinity doctrine emerged. It's actually three gods (or alternatively three manifestations of the one god) but here they're unified by hocus pocus, or in officialese, "a mystery in the strict sense, in that it cannot be known by unaided human reason other than by revelation, nor cogently demonstrated by reason after it has been revealed" (their words, not mine). What they're 'fessing is that the "one god" part is incoherent.
Actually, you are wrong. Tertullian, 3rd century, qualified it and, of course, the scriptures written in th 1st and 2nd century also qualified it.
What, the incoherent Trinity doctrine? Or just mentioning Father, Jesus and Ghost in the one sentence (which of course isn't Trinitarianism)? Grateful for a quote.
IMV, this sounds like "Any excuse is a good excuse when you don't want to subscribe to a position". The people of that time had no problem believing.
The people of Sumer, Babylon, Egypt, Canaan, Greece, Rome, Persia, India, China, Africa, the Americas, Australia, had no problem in believing in their gods and supernatural beings either. So I'm not sure that advances your cause.

But it's plainly the case that the gospel authors make stuff up. Matthew's author with his "taxation census" and his "Massacre of the Innocents" and so much else is simply one example.
I don't think so. We believed there were dark holes and we still can't quite define it (only partially).
That's not a parallel case. With a black hole we're looking for an aggregation of mass concentrated to such an extent that light can't escape from its gravity field. This will have defined consequences which will allow the location and identification of black holes.

What real thing are we actually looking for when we look for God and how can we tell whether any real suspect we find is God or not?
Unfortunately (or fortunately) since you are not omniscient or omnipotent
SSSH! Don't say that out loud!
you don't qualify to determine that.
Yes I do. I'm as qualified as any human I know of to make moral judgments. I dare say you are too.

And since the question is whether a real god exists, we need to find a real one and examine it before we could tell whether we're somehow disqualified from judging it or not.
The gift is for everyone was available for Hitler et al... but if one doesn't want to receive it or participate it, it's called free will...
Free will doesn't mean you're free of your evolved genetic structure, including your brain's decision-making processes and functions.

And that is what my version of God would understand and if it was faulty or damaged or both, would fix. [He]'d know the only point in sending anyone to Hell was petty human-type sadism and vengefulness; whereas healing would address and fix the true problem.
remember the Adam and Eve story?
Do I what! Don't start me ...

Last edited:

thomas t

I don't even know what real thing the word 'God' is intended to denote, and no one seems able to tell me.

It seems to be generally accepted among believers that God is "immaterial" or "spiritual", that's to say entirely conceptual / imaginary.
Same reply: what real thing do you intend to denote when you say "creator God"?
the creator, be it spiritual or whatever.
I mean a creating force whatever it is.
you were the one telling everyone that it's your observation that there is no divine influence on creation.
You didn't care that you apperently didn't have that "hard definition" before postulating your claim about the purported absence of devine influence on creation. You just went ahead.

However, you demand that hard definition of others, when they say there is a God.

Same standards for everyone please.

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I mean a creating force whatever it is.
That would mean you accept physics as God, which is more than I do.
you were the one telling everyone that it's your observation that there is no divine influence on creation.
While that's my view, I don't recall stating it in any such terms.
You didn't care that you apperently didn't have that "hard definition" before postulating your claim about the purported absence of devine influence on creation. You just went ahead.
You didn't address the question. The question is, what objective test will tell us whether any real candidate is God or not? When we look for a real God, what real thing are we actually looking for?

Or do you agree that God has no real description, no description or definition appropriate to a being with objective existence, and exists purely as a concept / thing imagined in individual brains?
However, you demand that hard definition of others, when they say there is a God.
If there's no definition appropriate to a real God then anyone talking about a real God has no idea what they're actually talking about.

Whereas anyone can form their own concept of a god or supernatural being, and that certainly appears to be what God is ─ conceptual / imaginary.
Same standards for everyone please.
What is it, exactly, that you say I didn't define (other than a God with objective existence)?

thomas t

What is it, exactly, that you say I didn't define (other than a God with objective existence)?
God.
But you did talk about God (see quote in blue color). In the blue quote, you did not refer to your concept of God, you said "God" using this as a generic term.

You didn't address the question. The question is, what objective test will tell us whether any real candidate is God or not? When we look for a real God, what real thing are we actually looking for?
you answered the question before even asking it.
To my observation, the world behaves exactly as if God were only an idea held by an individual.
You didn't cite any objective test, any definition, nothing. And yet you talked about him.
Mere declaration about something you offer no definition for:
If there's no definition appropriate to a real God then anyone talking about a real God has no idea what they're actually talking about.

-----------------------------
In my post I did not intend to answer a question you had elsewhere in the thread.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God.

But you did talk about God (see quote in blue color). In the blue quote, you did not refer to your concept of God, you said "God" using this as a generic term.
I've said clearly all along that I have no trouble with the idea of imaginary gods ─ they're anything the imaginer wants them to be.

And in exactly that context I've pointed out that there is no definition or description appropriate to a real god, one who has objective existence, one who is a being existing in nature, the world external to the self.

So now I've made this distinction clear, I ask again:

Do you agree?

Or do you have a definition appropriate to a real God, such that if we found a real candidate we could determine whether it was God or not?

thomas t

I've said clearly all along that I have no trouble with the idea of imaginary gods ─ they're anything the imaginer wants them to be.
actually this was the context of it:
Humans aren't omnipotent, omniscient, or perfect, and often enough only selectively benevolent. The omnipotent, omniscient, perfect and benevolent God is in a position to perfectly know and perfectly do, but does neither.
and then you said in your next post replying to what Ken wrote in resonse to the above quote:

so I conclude: you referred to the Almighty. Be it an idea or not. You made the very bold claim about that God.
Or do you have a definition appropriate to a real God, such that if we found a real candidate we could determine whether it was God or not?
no

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
But, what happens to a kid who hears this really important, so-called truth: that there is an immensely powerful being who loves me, and is so much stronger than everybody else that he can also save me? And then that kid goes home, likely to be beaten up by somebody 8 times his size, possibly leading to another trip to the hospital -- and who actually asks this Jesus for help?
I'd like to point out what should have happened for you. At night the parents ought to have had a recurring ritual for getting the child ready to sleep involving going to the bathroom, getting clean, changing clothes, brushing teeth, having a book read to them or listening to a story. With believing parents then there should have been a bedtime prayer and a kiss goodnight. That sort of thing. That's how children normally are put to bed.

Every night you should have felt very safe, very content. The only fears to deal with should have been imagined ones. That is the way that many children do go to sleep.

Kenny

Premium Member
Either you're an eyewitness or you're not, and no NT author is or even claims to be. And if you're not an eyewitness then you're a hearsayer.

And since Matthew and John were there... they are eyewitnesses. Luke also wrote down the statements of the eyewitnesses and verified that some had already made an eyewitness account- a policeman of sorts that is taking down the statements of eyewitnesses.

Dedication to Theophilus
1 Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile a narrative of the things that have been accomplished among us, 2 just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word have delivered them to us, 3 it seemed good to me also, having followed all things closely for some time past, to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, 4 that you may have certainty concerning the things you have been taught.

So, in reality, it isn't that there is no information, you simply don't agree with the information given.

Nothing of the kind in the NT, only its express negation ─ but by the third century the strand of Christianity who wanted the central figure of Christianity to be a god was taking developed form. This trend was criticized by Jewish onlookers as polytheism just like the pagans. So politically wishing to avoid such jibes, they rejected polytheism hence the idea of a team or partnership, they rejected the idea that Father Jesus and Ghost were all manifestations of a single will, and finally in the 4th century the Trinity doctrine emerged. It's actually three gods (or alternatively three manifestations of the one god) but here they're unified by hocus pocus, or in officialese, "a mystery in the strict sense, in that it cannot be known by unaided human reason other than by revelation, nor cogently demonstrated by reason after it has been revealed" (their words, not mine). What they're 'fessing is that the "one god" part is incoherent.

That's a nice take on it... it just doesn't match the narrative given... "In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God, the Word was God"... "And the Word was made flesh". (1st century)

So we can say that it isn't there all we want while a glaring statement says... "NOOOOOOOOOO!" :)

What, the incoherent Trinity doctrine? Or just mentioning Father, Jesus and Ghost in the one sentence (which of course isn't Trinitarianism)? Grateful for a quote.

:) please see the above quote... very coherent!

The people of Sumer, Babylon, Egypt, Canaan, Greece, Rome, Persia, India, China, Africa, the Americas, Australia, had no problem in believing in their gods and supernatural beings either. So I'm not sure that advances your cause.

But it's plainly the case that the gospel authors make stuff up. Matthew's author with his "taxation census" and his "Massacre of the Innocents" and so much else is simply one example.

There are positive answers to those positions. Of course, if one doesn't like those, there are negative statements that people can cling on.

That's not a parallel case. With a black hole we're looking for an aggregation of mass concentrated to such an extent that light can't escape from its gravity field. This will have defined consequences which will allow the location and identification of black holes.

What real thing are we actually looking for when we look for God and how can we tell whether any real suspect we find is God or not?

You have two questions here (and I think one too many)

First, is there a God
Second, how can we tell whether any real suspect we find is God or not".

I think we have to first start with the first and, after that, as about the second.

Let's consider the possibility of this statement:

"For since the beginning of the world the invisible attributes of God, e.g. his eternal power and divinity, have been plainly discernible through things which he has made and which are commonly seen and known,"

Does it seem like nature is driven towards a direction rather than just randomly changing? (Certainly 93% of all people would agree with that viewpoint as they acknowledge there is a God) - if we throw out the outlying extremes.......

Does the Burgess Shale fossil discovery of 1909 of never discovered animals at the Cambrian layer with no precursor forms suggest that something greater was driving everything? It would appear so.

Does symbiotic relationships suggest that something greater was involved? Man certainly can't answer how.

Does the mere function of a body, its complexity, its intricacies, its amazing capacity et al seem to defy simple chance? That certainly is what I see but maybe you don't so think of it this way...

We can see an original Picasso

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 9.21.18 AM.png

What was he really thinking? What really inspired him? Is he sane or insane?

We can all have different viewpoints of exactly what these answers are, but we know there is an author.

I may know understand why there is a mosquito, but I know there is an author.

SSSH! Don't say that out loud!

:D

Yes I do. I'm as qualified as any human I know of to make moral judgments. I dare say you are too.

And since the question is whether a real god exists, we need to find a real one and examine it before we could tell whether we're somehow disqualified from judging it or not.

Yes... but are those moral judgments hardwired by God or just your thinking.

Free will doesn't mean you're free of your evolved genetic structure, including your brain's decision-making processes and functions.

And that is what my version of God would understand and if it was faulty or damaged or both, would fix. [He]'d know the only point in sending anyone to Hell was petty human-type sadism and vengefulness; whereas healing would address and fix the true problem.

So... we shouldn't put anyone in jail? And, in this current stage, man is suppose to fix it. Any parent that constantly takes a son out of jail with no consequences only accentuates the son's problem.

It is easy to just blame the system and say "the system made me do it" and not have to exercise responsibility.

Do I what! Don't start me ...

LOL.. :D