• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't legislate just scandalize through your job!

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Heritage urging republicans to hold up the legislative process and focus on "scandals"

Heritage letter to Republicans on Capitol Hill: don’t legislate, just scandalize Obama - Democratic Underground

".......it would be imprudent to do anything that shifts the focus from the Obama administration to the ideological differences within the House Republican Conference.

To that end, we urge you to avoid bringing any legislation to the House Floor that could expose or highlight major schisms within the conference........."

"......Rather than scheduling such legislation for consideration, we urge you to keep the attention focused squarely on the Obama administration."

Why can't they do what we sent them there to do? Is it that they hate this president that much?....:facepalm:

A

angellous_evangellous

That's been the plan since Obama took office.

And it's not a secret.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

And it's not a secret.

But the man is in his second term so it's not that it has a whole lot to do with him...rather it's the continuation to muddy the legislative process in an attempt to secure the senate in 2014. Why are we even letting organizations like this usurp the job we elect these people to do? Congress will do what Heritage wants them to do because they fear the Primary.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Heritage urging republicans to hold up the legislative process and focus on "scandals"

Heritage letter to Republicans on Capitol Hill: don’t legislate, just scandalize Obama - Democratic Underground

".......it would be imprudent to do anything that shifts the focus from the Obama administration to the ideological differences within the House Republican Conference.

To that end, we urge you to avoid bringing any legislation to the House Floor that could expose or highlight major schisms within the conference........."

"......Rather than scheduling such legislation for consideration, we urge you to keep the attention focused squarely on the Obama administration."

Why can't they do what we sent them there to do? Is it that they hate this president that much?....:facepalm:

They're there to represent people, and a great many people would support what Heritage is telling them to do.

Falvlun said:
We don't have a representative government any more. :(
Sure we do. But as population grows the effect of representation (IE the amount each individual feels represented by any one particular politician) will decrease.

We have the technology now for a more directly democratic system. A constitutional democracy (as opposed to a constitutional republic) would perhaps be more beneficial to our country going forward into the future. We're still clinging dearly to the middle man imposed on us by our well-meaning but short-sighted founding fathers. Is such a middle man even still necessary? In other words, why vote for a politician to go off and vote on legislation for you when you can, for all intents and purposes, do that yourself?

Back when our system was created such a process would have been inefficient and inherently overly difficult to implement. Nowadays, with the level of technology we have reached, it is entirely possible that we could all vote on all legislation that is introduced. Rather than a bicameral representative system we could have a unicameral system where these elected legislators introduce certain legislation to be voted upon by the people. Then you protect the minority by imposing current congressional restrictions on the populace as a whole (IE the unicameral house introduces amendments to the Constitution only with a 2/3 vote and the amendment is only ratified if 3/4 of the people vote for it).

Last edited:

tytlyf

Not Religious

And it's not a secret.
The right wanted him to fail from day one and have been doing everything possible to tarnish his presidency at Americas expense. In the long run, I believe he won't fail. They sure are making it tough.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
The right wanted him to fail from day one and have been doing everything possible to tarnish his presidency at Americas expense. In the long run, I believe he won't fail. They sure are making it tough.

I'm really interested as to how history will treat him in 30 years. His presidency has been a boondoggle and a circus due to the antics of the Republicans in Congress. Very little of substance, besides the ACA (which is unfortunate in its neutered scope and vision), has been accomplished. I wish he could have enacted more of his economic policies so we could have had a clear example of how liberal economic policies work, in contrast to the conservative austerity plans ravaging Europe.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I'm really interested as to how history will treat him in 30 years. His presidency has been a boondoggle and a circus due to the antics of the Republicans in Congress. Very little of substance, besides the ACA (which is unfortunate in its neutered scope and vision), has been accomplished. I wish he could have enacted more of his economic policies so we could have had a clear example of how liberal economic policies work, in contrast to the conservative austerity plans ravaging Europe.

I've noticed they've ramped up their attempt to scandalize instead of their talking point about the economy. Seems as though every time they start the unemployment drops a percent and the DOW jumps another 2 to 500 points.

Mitch McConnell on Meet the Press: Obamacare Will Be Focus of 2014 Midterm – 5/19/13 | Unedited Politics

So like I said....It won't be about the economy. They're going to focus on IRS's "small" role in the ACA and make it bigger than what it is.....

A

angellous_evangellous

But the man is in his second term so it's not that it has a whole lot to do with him...rather it's the continuation to muddy the legislative process in an attempt to secure the senate in 2014. Why are we even letting organizations like this usurp the job we elect these people to do? Congress will do what Heritage wants them to do because they fear the Primary.

I don't think that we're talking about the same thing.

How can Obama be responsible for what the Republicans have been doing ever since he took office? They have had a policy of obstruction from the beginning, and there's nothing Obama could do about that except for changing into a Republican.

Now there may be an argument that the economy is now Obama's fault, but the Republicans have been desperately trying to do what they did to cause the recession in the first place, poisoning every effort to improve.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
It doesn't matter in the end as far as the policies are concerned. It will NOT get better till we elect new people. But they continue to do this because its REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to get behind someone's ideas when they either
1) Not benificial to you
2) Bad economically but they vote for it anyway
3) Have little substance.
So the best way to still get votes is to brand the opposing enemy as the worst possible thing. Make them look worse than you so that you stand a chance. That has been the Republican party political answer to everything the past 6 years. Don't clean the **** off yourself but just focus on thrownig more at the other guy. Oh and aim for the black one.

Kalidas

My favor ate quote from Republicans thus far. It was our job to make Obama a one term president(they couldn't even do THAT right). No your freaking job was to help lead the nation. Idiots!

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
My favor ate quote from Republicans thus far. It was our job to make Obama a one term president(they couldn't even do THAT right). No your freaking job was to help lead the nation. Idiots!

Many of them are still adhering to the (if Obama is for it, them I’m against it)...mentality...well, at least until it affects them and/or their constituents

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Many of them are still adhering to the (if Obama is for it, them I’m against it)...mentality...well, at least until it affects them and/or their constituents
For those of us who don't care for much of what the Republicans
would like to do, their simply opposing Obama isn't all that bad.