• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't Fear the Reaper

allfoak

Alchemist
Is it possible to know what happens when we die?
If so, how do you know?

What does science have to say about it?
Death is a depressingly inevitable consequence of life, but now scientists believe they may have found some light at the end of the tunnel. The largest ever medical study into near-death and out-of-body experiences has discovered that some awareness may continue even after the brain has shut down completely.Oct 7, 2014
First hint of 'life after death' in biggest ever scientific study

There are many different ideas in religion on the subject.
What are yours?
Contents
[1The afterlife in different metaphysical models

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Wikipedia 'Afterlife - Science' is not science, it is the same humbug, written by non-scientists. It does not talk about depletion of oxygen or accumulation of carbon di oxide/carbon mono oxide in brain. That is crucial.

rusra02

Premium Member
Is it possible to know what happens when we die?
If so, how do you know?

What does science have to say about it?

There are many different ideas in religion on the subject.
What are yours?
I believe what the Bible says happens when we die. "the dead know nothing at all...Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they no longer have any share in what is done under the sun. There is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave." (Ecclesiastes 9:5,6,10) Death is the end of conscious existence. I believe there is hope for the dead in being resurrected or brought back to life. Meanwhile, they are as if asleep.

allfoak

Alchemist
Wikipedia 'Afterlife - Science' is not science, it is the same humbug, written by non-scientists. It does not talk about depletion of oxygen or accumulation of carbon di oxide/carbon mono oxide in brain. That is crucial.
I was wondering if anyone was going correct the Wikipedia article.
Thank you

allfoak

Alchemist
I believe what the Bible says happens when we die. "the dead know nothing at all...Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they no longer have any share in what is done under the sun. There is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave." (Ecclesiastes 9:5,6,10) Death is the end of conscious existence. I believe there is hope for the dead in being resurrected or brought back to life. Meanwhile, they are as if asleep.
Do you have an explanation for paranormal activities?
Out of body experiences?

My mother came to my front door soon after she died.
Some say i am crazy.
Others accept it as if it is normal.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Near-death experience - Wikipedia is much better.

Depersonalization model:
"According to this theory, the subject forms a fantasy that replaces the terrifying experience with a pleasurable dream-like scenario that is more bearable."
Professor of psychiatry Russell Noyes and clinical psychologist Roy Kletti, 1970

Expectancy model:
"It has been suggested that although these experiences could appear very real, they had actually been constructed in the mind, either consciously or subconsciously, in response to the stress of an encounter with death (or perceived encounter with death), and did not correspond to a real event."

Dissociation Model:
"This is a form of withdrawal to protect an individual from a stressful event. Under extreme circumstances some people may detach from certain unwanted feelings in order to avoid experiencing their emotional impact and suffering associated with them."

Etc.

Last edited:

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Do you have an explanation for paranormal activities?
Out of body experiences?

My mother came to my front door soon after she died.
Some say i am crazy.
Others accept it as if it is normal.

It's fascinating, everyone you get a chance to really talk to about this- has similar inexplicable experiences. Even those who consider themselves staunch skeptics.

I told the anecdote here before, but my family were as non-spiritual, skeptical, as it gets. When one member of our family passed away- in the house, every single clock stopped at the same moment, wind up, electric, appliances,- even the clocks in the 2 cars in the drive. We all witnessed it independently, nobody could deny it, we could hardly write it off as coincidence- doing the math- that's absurd. But we all managed to dismiss it somehow and go on with our more comfortable skeptical assumptions

We all witness these things, but I think they are so disconnected from our everyday 'rational' life that we discard them as having no practical use, we talk ourselves into believing they were illusions- it's a far simpler, easier way to deal with them

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
He is overconfident, talking about theoretical particles like they exist. They are indirectly detected, and Physics studies their behavior but can only infer about their origin. He's not lying about particles, but he's telling it backwards as if beginning with the theoretical particles and building up reality from them. He is also going beyond the Standard Model by putting forward an unaccepted "Universal theory of everything." At this time there is no accepted equation that unites the known forces, particularly not under all conditions. He assumes infinite universes and then works his Math from that assumption. It assumes too much. He does make some interesting points.

allfoak

Alchemist
He is overconfident, talking about theoretical particles like they exist. They are indirectly detected, and Physics studies their behavior but can only infer about their origin. He's not lying about particles, but he's telling it backwards as if beginning with the theoretical particles and building up reality from them. He is also going beyond the Standard Model by putting forward an unaccepted "Universal theory of everything." At this time there is no accepted equation that unites the known forces, particularly not under all conditions. He assumes infinite universes and then works his Math from that assumption. It assumes too much. He does make some interesting points.
He has an entire series on time that would likely answer the questions you have.
i have been listening to him for a while now.
I am not a mathematician but something about it resonates with me so i continue to try and get what he is saying.

allfoak

Alchemist
It's fascinating, everyone you get a chance to really talk to about this- has similar inexplicable experiences. Even those who consider themselves staunch skeptics.

I told the anecdote here before, but my family were as non-spiritual, skeptical, as it gets. When one member of our family passed away- in the house, every single clock stopped at the same moment, wind up, electric, appliances,- even the clocks in the 2 cars in the drive. We all witnessed it independently, nobody could deny it, we could hardly write it off as coincidence- doing the math- that's absurd. But we all managed to dismiss it somehow and go on with our more comfortable skeptical assumptions

We all witness these things, but I think they are so disconnected from our everyday 'rational' life that we discard them as having no practical use, we talk ourselves into believing they were illusions- it's a far simpler, easier way to deal with them
I am unable to let experiences like that in my life go unexplored.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I am unable to let experiences like that in my life go unexplored.

I wonder sometimes if it's a case of- the more you look the more you find, and so it's not something I really wish to pursue- but some things happen regardless as we note

Do you have any other experiences of this kind? or just an isolated case?

allfoak

Alchemist
I wonder sometimes if it's a case of- the more you look the more you find, and so it's not something I really wish to pursue- but some things happen regardless as we note

Do you have any other experiences of this kind? or just an isolated case?
i have several.
It started with an out of body experience when i was 12.
One night i found myself floating above my body and the question came to me "which one is me"? i then found myself back in my body.
I had this uncanny ability to focus as a child.
I would have friends throw things into the woods while i watched and i would go and find whatever it was in minutes.
I have spoken to my dead brother my dead father and my dead mother.
The connection i have with my son is way beyond what is considered normal.
We speak to one another, for lack of a better way of putting it, soul to soul.
I won't even talk about how many the times i cheated death.
I have seen what i would call two angels in my life.
One of them gave me food when i was on the verge of starvation and another one pulled me out of a lake when i was drowning.

That is all i can talk about right now.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk

There are far too many problems for that to be considered a worthwhile experiment.

There is no random sampling (RS). Which is expect in a medical study, but nonetheless still a problem. Medical studies generally are not able to do RS, but that does not excuse them from it. Whenever you don't have RS you have to be more skeptical of your results. To clarify RS is what allows you to make general inferences to the larger population. It helps balance and account for confounding variables, which is something we can't do with humans in a controlled environment.

They can't really control the RS but they could have control random assignment (RA) of the VAs, but they didn't. That is clearly ignoring basic principles and what we call data snooping. Further more all the VAs should have been the same image, because they are different images you can not account for varying confounding variables that could be associated with different images.

With no random sampling & no random assignment the study becomes extremely limited. This really makes statistical inferences invalid. Any statistical inference or hypothesis done without RS and/or RA is closer to speculation than a statistical analysis.

Further more Greyson NDE scale is full of many leading questions which could skew results. On top of that human memory has been demonstrated to be very receptive to influence during such questioning and unreliable.

Last edited: