• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donald Trump Didn’t Say the Apostle's Creed At Bush’s Funeral

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
I wouldn't say it either. Of course, that's a result of my intense hatred of Bush. Both of them actually. Still, considering that they're both bad presidents, they have more in common than I do.

pearl

The president being credited for making it okay to say “Merry Christmas” again is now being ridiculed as the only living president to not recite the Apostle’s Creed at George H.W. Bush‘s funeral.

From what I saw Trump participated in nothing, and why would he, it was not about him, However, it was reported that he complied with everything the Bush family asked for. Had to chuckle when George W, while shaking hands with Michelle Obama slipped her a candy.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Shock , horror,...Trump is not religious. If we didn't know that already we haven't been paying attention.

Sunday morning choice = Golf or Church = don't forget your driver.
The point, however, is that the same people who wanted Obama drawn and quartered for not being a "real" Christian, based on such damning evidence as the decorative squiggle on his wedding ring, now seem perfectly happy with a President who has repeatedly failed at the most basic demonstrations of adherence to his professed faith.

Now, personally, I don't think religion is related to fitness to govern. If Trump came out tomorrow and said "I'm an atheist, so I don't know any Christian prayers or observances" I honestly couldn't care less. As with so much else that enrages and disgusts me about Trump and his enablers, it's the blatant hypocrisy I take issue with. That's the case for most of the things I criticise Trump for.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But as a member of the GOP and ally of the evangelicals, he is supposed to at least half-halfheartedly go through the motions. You know, give them just enough to convince themselves that he's a moral man in God's good graces.
I actually enjoy Christians being unfamiliar with their own scripture.
It enables progress.
What does Appolo Creed have to do with Christianity anyway?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
well...he's Protestant...that's a Catholic Creed
Most mainstream Protestant denominations also say it, including Presbyterians.

Trump has publicly stated that he does not pray nor does he need God's forgiveness.

Altfish

Veteran Member
The point, however, is that the same people who wanted Obama drawn and quartered for not being a "real" Christian, based on such damning evidence as the decorative squiggle on his wedding ring, now seem perfectly happy with a President who has repeatedly failed at the most basic demonstrations of adherence to his professed faith.

Now, personally, I don't think religion is related to fitness to govern. If Trump came out tomorrow and said "I'm an atheist, so I don't know any Christian prayers or observances" I honestly couldn't care less. As with so much else that enrages and disgusts me about Trump and his enablers, it's the blatant hypocrisy I take issue with. That's the case for most of the things I criticise Trump for.
Oh yes, religion shouldn't be part of politics but in the US it is a card that is played, here in the UK it is irrelevant. I've not a clue what religion (or none) my local MP is or any of the local Councillors. And that is exactly how it should be.
From my point of view the more rational and less religious the better.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
"Donald Trump says he is Christian. More specifically he is Presbyterian, which is a form of Protestantism which traces its roots back to Scotland.

The US president inherited his religion from his British mum, who was born on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides before moving to New York in 1930 at the age of 18.

His father’s ancestors were Lutheran – another form of Protestantism originating in Germany.

His family attended First Presbyterian Church in Queens, New York, before joining Manhattan’s Marble Collegiate Church in the 1970s."
source

HOWEVER!!!!

The president being credited for making it okay to say “Merry Christmas” again is now being ridiculed as the only living president to not recite the Apostle’s Creed at George H.W. Bush‘s funeral.

Even more ironic? President Obama, whom Trump has long (and falsely) suggested is Muslim, had no problem reciting the famous Christian prayer.

Video from the funeral of George H.W. Bush showed a front row of presidents at Washington National Cathedral, standing and reciting it along with the program, as the voice of Episcopal Bishop Michael Curry boomed through the speakers to the thousands of mourners. Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, Barack Obama and their wives glanced up and down from the programs they held in front of them and spoke the prayer, along with everyone else visible in the video. The program, as is typical, calls for the prayer to be said in unison.

President Trump stood, with his hands folded in front of him, waist-high, the program in his left hand, his lips not moving. Melania Trump also did not speak, nor did she hold a program.
source[/ur]

Okay, do I really care? Only to the extent that it reinforces what a scumbag he is. I am desperate for a president with the social skills of at least a three year-old, and the intellect of a seventh grader.

Imo, Donald Trump simply pretends to be Christian in order to appease Christian Fundamentalist voters whose support he'll need to get re-elected. I myself pretend to be Christian; I do it so my rich fanatically Pentecostal father won't strike me out of his will. My false acknowledgement of Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior is convincing enough to my father that I'm Christian. Fortunately, I neither get quizzed over Scripture nor ask to recite any Biblical prayers. It's been a long time since I've read the Bible.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Shock , horror,...Trump is not religious. If we didn't know that already we haven't been paying attention.

Sunday morning choice = Golf or Church = don't forget your driver.
Of course he's not religious, but as a member of the GOP who's allied with the evangelical movement it's somewhat surprising he didn't attempt to maintain the facade.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Actually I believe the opposite to the true; their ignorance of their own scripture is what helps them to uncritically accept it. Usually becoming familiar with it has the opposite effect.
:shrug:
To know scripture can justify heinous acts one wouldn't otherwise
be inclined to commit, eg, killing infidels. To not know scripture
enables one to be a virtuous as are we heathens,.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Well, it should be obvious by now that Trump is hardly a Christian in his personal life in terms of belief, practice or even apparent familiarity with social customs. As for Melania, I don't know about her.

I'm glad we can each decide who is or is not Christian now.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Had it been Obama or either of the Clinton's who had not recited it, I guarantee that conservatives would be squealing in outrage over it.

We can assume hypotheticals all day. But as it is, it's the left declaring Trump a non-Christian today... Based on guesses and assumptions.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You mean like scraping together that Trump isn't Christian?
People always want to tell each other what religion they are.
I'm inclined to go with what they say about themselves.

I had some guy here on RF insist that I'm a Christian creationist.
No argument could dissuade him.
So it goes.

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck... If Trump cares about religion, it's not very evident. His lifestyle is certainly counter to Jesus' teachings.

There have been times in my life where people have defined me and assigned me to to the traits of their choosing. But I reject it, and define myself and reassign them as what I think people should think they are which is usually something bad in return for their offence against me.

...But I think it's more fair to allow people to assign themselves their own attributes and titles from the start.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
There have been times in my life where people have defined me and assigned me to to the traits of their choosing. But I reject it, and define myself and reassign them as what I think people should think they are which is usually something bad in return for their offence against me.

...But I think it's more fair to allow people to assign themselves their own attributes and titles from the start.
He can call himself whatever he wants. Doesn't mean I accept it. You probably care about it more than he does. :rolleyes: