1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don Cherry fired over comments on immigrants

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Stevicus, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,116
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    I hadn't heard of Don Cherry in years. I remember when he was the coach of the Boston Bruins. I knew he had a reputation for being outspoken, but it appears he crossed the line this time.

Hockey icon Cherry fired for immigrant comments

Cherry's remarks apparently led to a flood of complaints and a backlash on social media.

Cherry would not back down from his remarks.

2. sun rise

sun rise "Let there be peace and love among all"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +19,338
    Religion:
    Love
    I had to read the entire article to understand it. He said everyone should wear a poppy pin to honor the fallen. Nothing wrong with that.

But then he want off the rails and in his past was disparaging European hockey players and then started getting political and disparaging those who accepted climate science.

3. PureX

PureX Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,842
    Religion:
    Philosophical Taoist/Christian
    Long past time to retire.

4. Shad

Shad Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,002
    Religion:
    Theological noncognitivist
    He has been pro-assimilation and against multiculturalism that does not retain his idea of a Canadian identity for years. This includes Europeans as per his Soviet/Russian doping rant. More than that is he has became a problem for Rogers for years. He often becomes abusive in his views on air. He has even got into conflict with MacLean a number of times in recent years. MacLean remained a professional. Cheery is barely professional on his best days. He touched on a political topic Rogers does not want to endorse so gave cause to fire him.

Don Cherry Poppy Rant - Streamable

""Sports brings people together. It unites us, not divides us."

Haha. Yes Habs and Leaf fans love each other..... Vancouver didn't have riots over losing the cup. PR babble.