• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don’t meditate to fix yourself

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings all who clicked on this thread - you will be glad you did - hopefully ...

Just wondering whether people agree with this quote - I re-dscovered it on my pc today. Only barely remember saving it ...

Don’t meditate to fix yourself, to improve yourself, to redeem yourself; rather, do it as an act of love, of deep warm friendship to yourself. In this way there is no longer any need for the subtle aggression of self-improvement, for the endless guilt of not doing enough. It offers the possibility of an end to the ceaseless round of trying so hard that wraps so many people’s lives in a knot. Instead there is now meditation as an act of love. How endlessly delightful and encouraging.

I may see if I can seek out the author of the quote -

Yes - I did find the source -

Bob Sharples, from Meditation: Calming the Mind

Enjoy your day and feel free to post any vaguely relevant opinions or experiences that you may have!

Cioa!

:)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Greetings all who clicked on this thread - you will be glad you did - hopefully ...

Just wondering whether people agree with this quote - I re-dscovered it on my pc today. Only barely remember saving it ...

Don’t meditate to fix yourself, to improve yourself, to redeem yourself; rather, do it as an act of love, of deep warm friendship to yourself. In this way there is no longer any need for the subtle aggression of self-improvement, for the endless guilt of not doing enough. It offers the possibility of an end to the ceaseless round of trying so hard that wraps so many people’s lives in a knot. Instead there is now meditation as an act of love. How endlessly delightful and encouraging.

Enjoy your day and feel free to post any vaguely relevant opinions or experiences that you may have!

Cioa!

Thanks for the advice. When I get back into meditation I'll try to go this way.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Cioa!

It’s all in the approach. Meditation, IMO, isn’t a “self-help scheme.” However... meditation is potentially an extremely healing process, because it opens us to those subtle spiritual energies that foster right relationship. Most people would go into a healing process, or a self-help process with a quantifiable “goal” in mind. That doesn’t work with meditation. Meditation is a process that is, indeed intentional, but the intent should be to allow the healing to happen — not to “make” it happen. Spirit and subtle energies of love can’t be forced.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Cioa!

What's broken? =0]