• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dolphins believe in God!

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
Ok, so no one has made that discovery, but ...

As many of you may know, dolphins are very intelligent mammals and many believe they exceed all primates in intelligence. They communicate with a very complex language; so complex we have only been able to scratch the surface in understanding it.

So, hypothetically, suppose one day we are able to communicate with dolphins at a deeper level and discover that they do believe in God. How would you interpret this?

EDIT: Would this demonstrate the belief in God can be developed through evolution? Would it add meaning to spirituality? Is it compatible with The Bible?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
atofel said:

As many of you may know, dolphins are very intelligent mammals and many believe they exceed all primates in intelligence. They communicate with a very complex language; so complex we have only been able to scratch the surface in understanding it.

So, hypothetically, suppose one day we are able to communicate with dolphins at a deeper level and discover that they do believe in God. How would you interpret this?
As a element of support of my argument that we human beings think we are so much better than any other creature on Earth. I have yet to meet a dolphin; It is something that I would love to do; they are such fine creatures. There is even an indication that they help soothe autistic children, and are very happy to play with them.:)

meogi

All of them? I wouldn't mind meeting the atheist dolphins and seeing how they came to the conclusion :D

Dolphins aren't just cute and cuddley though... they are known to be murders without apparent motive.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
... they are known to be murders without apparent motive.
Murder seems to go with intelligence, chimps murder each other all the time!

Another thing about chimps is that they may actually have the makings of a religion, they dance around and throw sticks about when the rains come, not much evidence of a religion, they might just like rain, but no other animals do anything like it.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I think dolphins' usual kindness makes up for those other, nasty ones. That's a bit like saying an entire race are murderers due to the actions of a few of their members.

I think Meogi's got a point, though. I like imagining that there are different dolphin religions.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FeathersinHair said:
I think dolphins' usual kindness makes up for those other, nasty ones. That's a bit like saying an entire race are murderers due to the actions of a few of their members.

I think Meogi's got a point, though. I like imagining that there are different dolphin religions.
Sorry, I am going 'off-topic' for a second; just the mention of murdering brought something to mind. We were watching a programme on the T.V the other evening, focussing on the wild animals in the reserve in Kenya (I know its not called that any more, but I forget the new name) I was astonished to hear that Male lions will kill the cubs his Alpha female give birth to if they were conceived in a union with the previous alpha male.
ie Mr & Mrs Lion are happy, have sex....
(Mr Lion's a bit on the old side, but hey, he's a wise guy)
One day a young male comes in and snarls at him
"OUT my way you old fool; I want your wife"
Well, the old guy doesn't give up that easily; they get into a scrap and the old guy gets a real thrashing - he limps away, beaten, humiliated.
The young Mr Lion says to the alpha female "Hi, I'm your new husband"; they have sex
Mrs Lion then start producing cubs. As they 'Pop' out, Mr lion examines them in turn, Mine, Mine .........NOT MINE -Right, mate, you're for lunch, Mine, mine AH more lunch......
a) how clever is that b)what wrotten fathers in-law Lions make!:)

robtex

Veteran Member
atofel said:

hmmm ok. So man can't find God, prove God or reconcile God existance through evidence so you think we should ask dolphins?

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
meogi said:
All of them? I wouldn't mind meeting the atheist dolphins and seeing how they came to the conclusion :D

Dolphins aren't just cute and cuddley though... they are known to be murders without apparent motive.
Good point. I should rephrase and say that many of them believe in God.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
robtex said:
hmmm ok. So man can't find God, prove God or reconcile God existance through evidence so you think we should ask dolphins?
Why are we attacking theists in a dolphin thread? It makes no more sense than attacking atheists in a badger thread. :)

I should say what I mean is that the thread does not seem to be about the existance of god. It's a hypothetical question about human's interaction with a different species.

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
robtex said:
lol! This is what you get when I post a topic in the middle of the night! :D

I admit it is a bit of an off the wall question, but really, what would it mean if other animals believed in God? Would it show it is an evolved trait? Or would it show that there may be more to spirituality than we thought? Would it undermine Christianity?

robtex

Veteran Member
Atofel, some biologist has probably already worked that angle.....just gotta find him/her I guess. I don't know enough about biology to really have an educated opinion on animals and their thought process so I am going to spare you my ignorant opinion.

robtex

Veteran Member
FeathersinHair said:
Your opinion isn't ignorant, Robtex. I think it's more a discussion about what might happen.
ignorant means uneducated. I am uneducated in biology.

M

Majikthise

Man has always assumed that he is more intelligent than dolphins because he has achieved so much-the wheel, New York,wars and so on-while all dolphins have ever done is muck about in the water having a good time.Dolphins have always believed thay are much more intelligent than man for precisely the same reasons.:D

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
NetDoc said:
I think I would trust Dolphins over men any day of the week.
*hides behind ND from the scary, horrible article*

While Terry Pratchett may have said "Never trust an animal that smiles all the time", I think I'm with you, here. That type of atrocity takes a human.

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
NetDoc said:
I think I would trust Dolphins over men any day of the week. Unfortunately they can't trust us:
Man, this article ticked me off. I remember reading about these dolphins after they saved these people from a great white shark. And for their reward they are killed by fishermen conducting illegal fishing tactics.

linwood

I believe if it were found that Dolphins had an equal or greater intelligence than humans and believed in a deity or numerous deities(It would depend upon the dolphins geographical area and culture :) ) that they would believe in the deity for the same reasons humans do.

They seek to understand why the hell they are here.

Personally I believe dolphins would be much better of if they weren`t that intelligent.

They can be nasty though I`ve seen a really horrific video of a brutal dolphin attack on a human.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Well , I have never met a dolphin that didn't believe in God , but I haven't met many ... :)

Don't we have enough views of what God is without looking to other species ? What I wonder is how many people would be running down to the edge of the sea to " save the dolphins " ? ;)