• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doing the head counts on who accept evolution...

Which are you?

• Total voters

gnostic

The Lost One
I want a little statistics on the number of people who belong to religions, are either theistic and non-theistic type, and accept evolution as the explanation that explain biodiversity, natural selection and mutations (or any other evolutionary mechanisms).

This statistics will show to the creationists that they shouldn't generalised evolution are only accepted by atheists and agnostics.

So this poll is not for non-religious atheists or agnostics. So I would ask atheists to refrain from voting. They can, of course, talk about the results.

gnostic

The Lost One
Atheism & evolution go together like bacon & tomatoes.
I have cousins who are atheists, but don't accept evolution, not because they are anti-evolution.

No they don't accept evolution because they don't understand biology. They are are accountants by profession, so they are not strong in the science department; as far they are concern, evolution is irrelevant in their lives.

Not every atheists are knowledgeable in the science department.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have cousins who are atheists, but don't accept evolution, not because they are anti-evolution.

No they don't accept evolution because they don't understand biology. They are are accountants by profession, so they are not strong in the science department; as far they are concern, evolution is irrelevant in their lives.

The way bacon & tomatoes go together is complex.
Not everyone appreciates the combination.

Do these cousins have an alternative explanation?
That would be interesting.

gnostic

The Lost One
The way bacon & tomatoes go together is complex.
Not everyone appreciates the combination.

Do these cousins have an alternative explanation?
That would be interesting.
I don't think they are interested one way or another about evolution. They just don't have views on evolution.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Here in Brazil there are many Creationists, but all the same we are taught basic biology in High School.

I thought it happened much the same in the USA?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't think they are interested one way or another about evolution. They just don't have views on evolution.
Wow!
To not even think about it?
I can't imagine that.
It's just too interesting to avoid.
Accountants, eh?

Kelly of the Phoenix

I think the Vegas-style poofing is counter to how the bible actually tends to imply how God worked. There are simply too many metaphors of God as some sort of craftsman or farmer ... none of those professions poof up anything. It takes a long time to sculpt or grow things and sometimes stuff happens and you just have to end it and start over. Thus, I am a theist who believes in evolution because, well, it happens. Might as well accept it. :)

Laika

Premium Member

I didn't vote in the poll as an atheist but the Marxist understanding of evolution is neo-lemarckian (inheritence of aquired triats) and so is outside mainstream scientific thinking on the role of genetics in evolution. Its an idea I sort of accept for the sake of logical coherence but without doing the research on it. Its not an area I am intimately familiar with and doesnt have many day to day implications for diverging from the consensus.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I want a little statistics on the number of people who belong to religions, are either theistic and non-theistic type, and accept evolution as the explanation that explain biodiversity, natural selection and mutations (or any other evolutionary mechanisms).

This statistics will show to the creationists that they shouldn't generalised evolution are only accepted by atheists and agnostics.

So this poll is not for non-religious atheists or agnostics. So I would ask atheists to refrain from voting. They can, of course, talk about the results.
I am currently undecided between AbhiDhamma Buddhism and Hindu Panentheism. But in either case I accept the theory of evolution.

Altfish

Veteran Member

Very strange reason for not accepting evolution.
I assume they do not fully understand computers but happily use them to do their accounts. Do they not accept computer science?