• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doing a little painting recently...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Terese May 2017 Sized.jpg

14" x 18" Acrylic on Canvas panel.

The photo of the painting brings out the reds. In the original, they're more subdued.

EDIT: This is a study for a future portrait of @Terese.

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Your persistence is resulting in impressive progress. One vague piece of advice: create, don't recreate. Don't be afraid to apply exaggeration as a tool, especially in places where it makes a substantive impact, such as the eyes. I know painting face portraits is one of the most difficult artistic tasks one can do, but make sure you're seeing, and not just looking - and breathe the life that you see into the subject. I haven't touched a brush to canvas in a long time, so take any advice with a grain of salt.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Your persistence is resulting in impressive progress. One vague piece of advice: create, don't recreate. Don't be afraid to apply exaggeration as a tool, especially in places where it makes a substantive impact, such as the eyes. I know painting face portraits is one of the most difficult artistic tasks one can do, but make sure you're seeing, and not just looking - and breathe the life that you see into the subject. I haven't touched a brush to canvas in a long time, so take any advice with a grain of salt.

Sounds like good advice. Thanks so much!

I feel I'm still in the very early stages of development as a portrait painter -- still learning the basics, and not quite ready yet to "break the rules" (my thinking is, you've got to know the rules before you can intelligently break them). But I think what you've told me is excellent advice. Thanks again!

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Sounds like good advice. Thanks so much!

I feel I'm still in the very early stages of development as a portrait painter -- still learning the basics, and not quite ready yet to "break the rules" (my thinking is, you've got to know the rules before you can intelligently break them). But I think what you've told me is excellent advice. Thanks again!

I have mixed feelings about that rule. It makes good sense on the surface, and many people would be well-served to follow it more. However, in my experience, if one spends too long focusing on mastering the "rules," they can often find themselves falling into the habit of technical perfection and never transition to actually "breaking the rules" to free up creativity, artistic interpretation, and individual style. Training your brain and eye in limited ways can be great for those ways, but detrimental when it becomes a long-standing, fixed pattern.

If you don't already do it, I would suggest interspersing your portrait painting with small-scale experiments into different ways and styles of interpretation and presentation - with anything that catches your eye. Don't let your artistic subconscious lag behind, as the key to impactful art (imo), is in the details that bring out a subtle essence of whatever it is you're portraying.

You have some excellent skills with conveying light and hue of the skin, btw. This is a difficult thing to do well. I always found myself oversimplifying in this regard to avoid the inevitable frustration with making it worse the more I tried to do.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I have mixed feelings about that rule. It makes good sense on the surface, and many people would be well-served to follow it more. However, in my experience, if one spends too long focusing on mastering the "rules," they can often find themselves falling into the habit of technical perfection and never transition to actually "breaking the rules" to free up creativity, artistic interpretation, and individual style. Training your brain and eye in limited ways can be great for those ways, but detrimental when it becomes a long-standing, fixed pattern.

If you don't already do it, I would suggest interspersing your portrait painting with small-scale experiments into different ways and styles of interpretation and presentation - with anything that catches your eye. Don't let your artistic subconscious lag behind, as the key to impactful art (imo), is in the details that bring out a subtle essence of whatever it is you're portraying.

You have some excellent skills with conveying light and hue of the skin, btw. This is a difficult thing to do well. I always found myself oversimplifying in this regard to avoid the inevitable frustration with making it worse the more I tried to do.

I'm going to take your advice to intersperse portrait painting with experiments into different ways and styles of interpretation. Thanks, Kilgore! You've always been helpful.

Skwim

Veteran Member
A very nice study, but a few of suggestions for when you go to tackle the future portrait, if I may.

Downplay the nostrils a bit more, and if you keep her hand in the picture show more of it. As it is, her fingers tend to look like a strange part of her neck. Also, I'd soften the sharp edge of the left eye socket next to the nose. Judging from the light on her left cheek keep in mind that's the direction your main light is coming from. I'd also make sure the left side of her nose reflects this light as well. And because you have a strong light coming from the left you may want consider darkening the right side of her face a bit, including the left side of her nose.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
A very nice study, but a few of suggestions for when you go to tackle the future portrait, if I may.

Downplay the nostrils a bit more, and if you keep her hand in the picture show more of it. As it is, her fingers tend to look like a strange part of her neck. Also, I'd soften the sharp edge of the left eye socket next to the nose. Judging from the light on her left cheek keep in mind that's the direction your main light is coming from. I'd also make sure the left side of her nose reflects this light as well. And because you have a strong light coming from the left you may want consider darkening the right side of her face a bit, including the left side of her nose.

Thanks for the advice, Skwim.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I feel I'm still in the very early stages of development as a portrait painter -- still learning the basics, and not quite ready yet to "break the rules" (my thinking is, you've got to know the rules before you can intelligently break them).!
An excellent approach.