• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dogmatic atheism and fundamentalist Christianity: creating certainty in an uncertain world

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Evidence is building up that, because religion helps people to deal with uncertainties of life, it’s particularly attractive to the kind of people who have a hard time dealing with uncertainty.

But what about atheists? Some atheists seem rather fixed and absolutist in their beliefs. Perhaps they use atheism as a prop in much the same way that others use religion.

To test this idea...

[Source (The article is short)]

What do you make of the notion that fundamentalist Christians and dogmatic atheists have in common an intolerance for uncertainty?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What about the agnostics and some spiritualists who insist that there is certainly uncertainty about things atheists and theists think are certain? Should we also call them dogmatic?

SpeaksForTheTrees

[Source (The article is short)]

What do you make of the notion that fundamentalist Christians and dogmatic atheists have in common an intolerance for uncertainty?
imho if this the way it was , then Jesus would of climbed down from the cross and forced his will on that day .
Christian more tolerant than the other two , is probably your personal experiences that direct yourself .
Truth is fanatics be whatever beliefs are dangerous

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What about the agnostics and some spiritualists who insist that there is certainly uncertainty about things atheists and theists think are certain? Should we also call them dogmatic?

A close reading of the article linked to in the OP should reassure you that no one is proposing to call such people "dogmatic".

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
What the hell is a "dogmatic atheist?"
Antitheists might fall under that category, or perhaps strong atheists with a dogmatic concept of what atheism is.

edit: removed "would". Pre-coffee writing is my excuse.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What the hell is a "dogmatic atheist?"
I think they'd be the same as a "strong atheist", ie, one who is certain there are no gods.
There aren't many of those.
Most of us are "weak atheists", ie, we disbelieve, but we cannot prove there aren't gods.
We also qualify as agnostic.
From a practical standpoint, there's no difference between any of us.
All material differences between atheists are because of personal traits.
Example:
An anti-theist could be a strong or weak atheist.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
A close reading of the article linked to in the OP should reassure you that no one is proposing to call such people "dogmatic".
I know, sorry I should have been more specific. I think the word dogmatic is being used in a fast and loose way and that having certainty (even if the certainty is 'I am certain no one knows') is not dogmatism because certainty isn't synonymous. This article seems like it's trying to make them be.
In which case someone who says the existence of gods is unknowable should be called a dogmatic agnostic.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I know, sorry I should have been more specific. I think the word dogmatic is being used in a fast and loose way and that having certainty (even if the certainty is 'I am certain no one knows') is not dogmatism because certainty isn't synonymous. This article seems like it's trying to make them be.
In which case someone who says the existence of gods is unknowable should be called a dogmatic agnostic.

Thanks for the clarification! I take a rather different approach to language, myself. But I see your point.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Antitheists might would fall under that category, or perhaps strong atheists with a dogmatic concept of what atheism is.

Actually, the article pretty much lays out how the atheists were selected out as "dogmatic" from atheists in general. The selection was based on a whole host of factors, or -- if you will -- general tendencies.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Sorry - I didn't know that "might would" means "might".
Sorry. The "would" snuck in there. My bad. Still working on my morning coffee.

Are you saying that you don't think I'm dogmatic? Why did you bring up anti-theists at all?
Because weak atheists of course couldn't be dogmatic, they lack belief and stance completely to the issue. So if someone asks "What the hell is a "dogmatic atheist?"", then I suggest that if they exist, then you would find them in the category of antitheists and strong atheists rather than the weak atheists.

After all, according to the article, a "dogmatic atheist" is someone who "agreed with statements like “Faith is an expression of a weak personality”. And I thought that an atheists who would say that would probably fall into the antitheist category or the strong atheist category rather than the weak atheist category. Doesn't mean that all antitheists or all strong atheists are dogmatic though.