• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dog Breeds

Circle_One

Alright, for you avid animal fanatics out there in RF land, I've got a few questions for you. Hopefully, someone will be able to answer.

So I'm getting a new puppy soon, and I've narrowed it down to three breeds: the American Mastiff, the English Mastiff and the Boerboel (the latter, being aparently quite rare..there is only one breeder in all of Quebec).

What I'd like to know is, do any of you know anything about these breeds? Their temperaments, how they are with children, strangers, etc. anything you can tell me about them. I've done all the research I can find on the internet and talked to a few breeders about them, but I'd also like to get some feedback from someone who has owned one or knows someone who owned one..you get my drift.

Also, if any of you have any other dog breeds in mind you'd like to share, I'm open to suggestions. My only stipulations are that they be quite big (150-200lbs and 27-35 inches tall at the shoulder...I like big bear dogs), they must have an extremely gentle temperament and be great with children, but also be protective and guarding of their family should the need arise. They also must be great with other animals, as I've already got a male dog at home (I'm looking for another male), as well as 5 cats and a snake.

Anyone?

Thanks bunches!

C1

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You sound like your set on an inbred. Why not peruse the shelters for an inexpensive mutly bear-dog?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I have two Akitas (mine are smaller [100 lbs], but some can get to the size range you specified). They are great with kids, and great guard dogs (bred for guarding and bear hunting). They were for centuries the guardians of the Japanese Imperial children. They bark very little. Akitas would also appreciate your climate much more than they do south Texas.

The one problem may be with your original dog. Akitas are generally very dominant with other dogs; unless you got them as pups and raised them with the adult dog. Even then as they mature there may be issues. If you have the room and facilities to separate them , there shouldn't be any issues at all.

I have little direct experience, but Alaskan malamutes are also very big, gentle dogs, who also guard well.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I second Seyorni. Why risk diseases caused by inbreeding when you can get a similar mutt at the pound?

Circle_One

Seyorni said:
You sound like your set in an inbred. Why not peruse the shelters for an inexpensive mutly bear-dog?
All of the animals I've ever owned (with the exception, of course, of Thor, my Albino Python), have been bought from shelters. I've always much preferred to get them from shelters where I feel like I've saved them than anything, but I don't know I'm just feeling to get a pure bred pup this time. The price isn't an issue, so it's not that, I just would really like a pure breed this time around.

I have little direct experience, but Alaskan malamutes are also very big, gentle dogs, who also guard well.
While I'm not really into the Akita's (my uncle has one, and she's absolutely beautiful, but I don't feel they're the right dog for me), I do love Malamutes. I've never had one, but I've heard they are great dogs. Maybe I'll look into them as well. Thank you :)

I'll post pictures when I get home from work of the three breeds I've narrowed it down to so you can see the kind of dog I'm looking for...well, if anyone's interested anyway, haha

QTpi

Mischevious One
For all-around great dogs, labs and golden retrievers are among the best. They are great with kids and strangers, and they have a wonderful temperment. :)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Well , they clain that the Dry-mouth American Mastiff doesn't drool as much , which could be a plus . :) Personally , I have always liked Newfies . But these are big dogs for the city , something I'm sure that you have considered though C1 .

Circle_One

I love Newfies Kreeden, they're so pretty. I'm not right in the city and I've got a big house with a huge back yard and like 8 parks near my house, so one would fit in just fine here, I'm just not partial to all that long hair right now. My other dog has extremely long hair and I was looking for a short haired dog.

These are the ones I was looking at. The first two pictures are of Boerboels

boerboel2.jpg
Boerboel%20Dog%2011.jpg

And this is the American Mastiff:
mastiff_dredding3.jpg

Doc10-10-04%20compressed.jpg

Awwwww...lookit the big sweet baby!!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
QTpi said:
For all-around great dogs, labs and golden retrievers are among the best. They are great with kids and strangers, and they have a wonderful temperment. :)
That was going to be my choice, from experience - although we have never had either breed - ours have always been heinz 57.........:D