• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doesn’t with every scientific exploration?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Doesn’t with every scientific exploration* humans realize that it has expanded the level of the unknown** to enormous proportions?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Doesn’t with every scientific exploration?

"Despite the continuing expansion or even explosion of information, there will forever be limits beyond which the devices of science cannot lead a man. "
June Singer*
"In Boundaries of the Soul" (1972, 1994).

*June Singer was an American analytical psychologist. She co-founded the Analytical Psychology Club of Chicago, later the Jung Institute of Chicago, as well as the Inter-Regional Society of Jungian Analysts.Wikipedia

Born: 1920, Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Died: 19 January 2004, Beachwood, Ohio, United States

Doesn’t with every scientific exploration* humans realize that it has expanded the level of the unknown** to enormous proportions

Yes, often the more you know, the more you realise you don't know. You often have to know quite a lot about a subject before you realise there is so much that you don't know.

Expanding the level of the unknown is a result of expanding knowledge.

It's not a bad thing.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Doesn’t with every scientific exploration* humans realize that it has expanded the level of the unknown** to enormous proportions?

Yes, but of course we also continue to answer previously un-answered questions :)

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Unclear.

The intent may be to hint that we will ultimately have less doubts in our lives if we choose dogma over scientific knowledge.

I don't believe in anyd superstitious dogma. I take guidance from Revelation in ethical, moral and spiritual matters and in the secular, temporal and physical/material matters I go with science. No superstitious dogma, please

Regards

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't believe in anyd superstitious dogma.
As an aside, it seems that no one ever says that while being convincing.

I take guidance from Revelation in ethical, moral and spiritual matters and in the secular, temporal and physical/material matters I go with science. No superstitious dogma, please

Regards
Revelation is dogma, at least until and unless it becomes irrelevant as a "source of truth".

That is almost mathematically demonstrable, even.

Straw Dog

Yes, we've always been ignorant and we're only just starting to realize how ignorant we are. The absence of knowledge does tell us something essential. Into the void enter imagination, but we must be careful not to jump to conclusions. I'm having fun! Aren't you?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
As an aside, it seems that no one ever says that while being convincing.
Revelation is dogma, at least until and unless it becomes irrelevant as a "source of truth".
That is almost mathematically demonstrable, even.
Is Mathematics the only source to measure truthness or otherwise of Truth?
Is that what one believes? Please
Truth is not dependable on Mathematics.
Regards

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Paarusurrey, in English, we would most likely say something along these lines to get at the same point you seem to be attempting to make here: "Isn't it true that, with every scientific discovery, we humans also discover we are even more ignorant than we previously thought?" I think that's a fair paraphrase of your point. Correct me if I'm wrong.