• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does your way of living include working for a better world?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Does your way of living include working with other people for a better world?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I was actually only looking for yes/no answers, but now, if anyone wants to, I would be glad for you to post examples.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think the vast majority of people have actions that support the betterment of the world. I also think very few people think about it much. They just do it. For example, any people in service professions ... doctors, nurses, firefighters, police ... but I doubt that they sit down every night and say to themselves. "I'm working to better the world."

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the vast majority of people have actions that support the betterment of the world. I also think very few people think about it much. They just do it. For example, any people in service professions ... doctors, nurses, firefighters, police ... but I doubt that they sit down every night and say to themselves. "I'm working to better the world."

Such people are being compensated for their services.

I could be completely wrong, but I read the OP as more in terms of people that do so outside of what they are already being compensated for, such donating time or money or imparting knowledge and wisdom on their own dime. I think those people are thinking about it more than those you describe above.

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Nets of Wonder
That's exactly what I've been thinking since yesterday, and I've been feeling like a fool and a clown again.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Such people are being compensated for their services.

I could be completely wrong, but I read the OP as more in terms of people that do so outside of what they are already being compensated for, such donating time or money or imparting knowledge and wisdom. I think those people are thinking about it more than those you describe above.
Volunteerism? I've seen a lot of that too. Minor sport coaches, food bank workers, blood donors, and more. Besides that, in all the professions above, many do go beyond their prescribed duties. In grade schools, how many teachers spend extra time with students in all those clubs? Usually not in their contracts, but they just do it, and for the most part it goes totally unnoticed.

My main point is that talking about helping out isn't the same as helping out. One has to act.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Besides that, in all the professions above, many do go beyond their prescribed duties. In grade schools, how many teachers spend extra time with students in all those clubs? Usually not in their contracts, but they just do it, and for the most part it goes totally unnoticed.
Exactly. My wife and I lived for some years on two French islands in the Caribbean, and when I first started looking for volunteer work, I couldn't find any volunteer organization that wanted me. Then I found out that all the volunteer organizations were just part of the political careers of their leaders, and all the actual volunteer work was being done by people in the practice of their professions.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Does your way of living include working with other people for a better world?
Yes, and here is an area whereas all the major religions and also secular humanism merge in that this is what we should be doing together.

Reactions: Jim

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you feel that's a requirement for us?

Us? Do you mean you and @Jim? The members of RF? Humanity?

Because I think you and Jim should live to work with people to make a better world. And perhaps @Revoltingest.

It should just be an option for the rest of us. And by us, I just mean the members of RF.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
They should live & work to make a better Revoltingest?
Good luck with that!
I accept the challenge. Watch me. Also, let me know in a few weeks or months how I'm doing. Also, I'm trusting you to do some of the work. You look to me like a person I can trust that way. That's not a foma either. At least, I don't think it is. It doesn't feel like one to me.

Last edited: