• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does your scriptures contain a job description of your 'Messiah figure'

whirlingmerc

Jesus read from Isaiah 61, where the captive would be set free, people healed, broken hearts mended and said today this scripture is fulfilled. Interesting how those themes fall in the book of Psalms.

Jesus as the bondage breaker and healer in Luke 4 as he read from Isaiah 61 appear to bookend book 5 of Psalms. Psalm 107 at the strart and Psalms 146, 147. Bonds broken, people healed, broken hearts mended

0EEAKeA7

Psalms book 5: Songs for coming home

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Meher Baba on the Avatar, the Messiah:

..In Avataric periods the Avatar, as the Supreme Sadguru, takes His place as the head ...of the spiritual hierarchy as a whole.

Avataric periods are like the springtide of creation. They bring a new release of power, a new awakening of consciousness, a new experience of life — not merely for a few, but for all. Qualities of energy and awareness, which had been used and enjoyed by only a few advanced souls, are made available for all humanity. Life, as a whole, is stepped up to a higher level of consciousness, is geared to a new rate of energy. The transition from sensation to reason was one such step; the transition from reason to intuition will be another.
The Avatar appears in different forms, under different names, at different times, in different parts of the world. As His appearance always coincides with the spiritual regeneration of man, the period immediately preceding His manifestation is always one in which humanity suffers from the pangs of the approaching rebirth. Man seems more than ever enslaved by desire, more than ever driven by greed, held by fear, swept by anger. The strong dominate the weak; the rich oppress the poor; large masses of people are exploited for the benefit of the few who are in power. The individual, who finds no peace or rest, seeks to forget himself in excitement. Immorality increases, crime flourishes, religion is ridiculed. Corruption spreads throughout the social order. Class and national hatreds are aroused and fostered. Wars break out. Humanity grows desperate. There seems to be no possibility of stemming the tide of destruction.
The Avatar awakens contemporary humanity to a realization of its true spiritual nature, gives Liberation to those who are ready, and quickens the life of the spirit in His time. For posterity is left the stimulating power of His divinely human example — of the nobility of a life supremely lived, of a love unmixed with desire, of a power unused except for others, of a peace untroubled by ambition, of a knowledge undimmed by illusion. He has demonstrated the possibility of a divine life for all humanity, of a heavenly life on earth. Those who have the necessary courage and integrity can follow when they will.

Meher Baba: The Avatar

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
It is very difficult to distinguish the discription of the acheivments of the Messiah from that of the messianic age during which the Messiah will rule. In some cases, it is possible that these things will be accomplished as a way of preparation for the arrival of the messiah. Nevertheless, here is the best list I can supply:

1. He will bring all the Jews from the far ends of the earth back to the land of Israel. Or simply, the Jews being in the land of Eretz Yisrael will be a condition of the Messianic age. This has begun, but has not been completed, thus the Messiah is not yet come.
  2. He will be descended from the line of Judah.
  3. He will "be" King David, meaning not only will he be a direct descendant of David, but more importantly he will rule Israel from Jerusalem like David did--none of the candidates for Messiah have fulfilled this so far.
  4. He will be a great warrior.
  5. He will bring world wide peace between the nations--this has yet to happen.
  6. He will be a just judge
  7. The temple will be rebuilt, either by the Messiah, or in anticipation of his arrival. The temple will be a house of prayer for ALL people.
  8. During the Messianic age, all people will know God and will automatically keep the commandments appropriate to them.
This is an all or nothing deal -- if a candidate does not fulfill even a single one of these criteria, they are not the messiah. And saying, "Oh, I'll just do it the next time I'm here, or I'll take 200,000 years to do it" doesn't cut the mustard either. They are to do it in their lifetime. I mean, this is pretty simple.

That's my best job. Other writers say it in different words, or use a different organizational system. I suggest everyone google "Judaism criteria of the messiah" and read what the different websites say. Each point has scriptures to back them up, but it is harder to find websites that go into that sort of detail, although they are online if you search hard enough.

sooda

Veteran Member
Jesus read from Isaiah 61, where the captive would be set free, people healed, broken hearts mended and said today this scripture is fulfilled. Interesting how those themes fall in the book of Psalms.

Jesus as the bondage breaker and healer in Luke 4 as he read from Isaiah 61 appear to bookend book 5 of Psalms. Psalm 107 at the strart and Psalms 146, 147. Bonds broken, people healed, broken hearts mended

0EEAKeA7

Psalms book 5: Songs for coming home

Isaiah 61 is about King Cyrus of Persia.

Cyrus the Messiah
People Related Articlescyrus-the-messiah
The other people called messiah or anointed one in the Bible aren’t designated Yahweh’s messiah, as Cyrus is. Cyrus the Great (559–530 B.C.E.), whom Isaiah 45 calls Yahweh’s anointed, was the Persian king of Fars, a southern province of present-day Iran.

Last edited: