• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Your Religious Faith Require Data to Support It?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Bro. That's irrelevant to the argument I was making.

What in the world do you want to discuss? Concepts in logic? Axioms? Philosophy? What do you want to open up?

The point is that for the "Holy Grail" in philosophy as the positive, coherent, universal and rational method for all of the world has so far never been found and if you check we all rely on in effect blind faith.
You are a positive rationalist in effect. I am a negative skeptic. The joke on both on us is that we both can get away with it.

firedragon

Veteran Member
The point is that for the "Holy Grail" in philosophy as the positive, coherent, universal and rational method for all of the world has so far never been found and if you check we all rely on in effect blind faith.
You are a positive rationalist in effect. I am a negative skeptic. The joke on both on us is that we both can get away with it.

Irrelevant.

muhammad_isa

Well, you would be the first recorded human in history to do so, if you could prove that God is fair.
Some people have decided that Almighty God "is not fair", because He created a universe in which evil exists. :(

..but most of these people don't really believe God exists .. it is merely an evil ploy to confuse.
i.e. they are part of that evil

wellwisher

The initial question is in the OP title.

If the data conflicts with your faith, how do you reconcile the conflict?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/72h5nduns_E

Faith is the belief in things not seen. One way to understand this riddle of faith, is via the imagination, since the imagination can process data without using the five senses. I can place myself in a sensory depravation tank and my mind does not go blank. One does not need the five senses to think. What is left is internal data processing, from previous and innate memory, from which we can gain new data and draw new conclusions. This internal data processes is what separates humans from the animals, and why the Bible says human are above the animals.

All innovation comes from this inner source, since what is new and revolutionary does not first exist for the senses of others. All you religious leaders of past and present saw things before they came to pass. It is said to exist, by man, only after it made manifest and brought into reality, so the animal man can see and touch. Humans are less spooked afterwards, because they are not sure how to explain the processing that comes before the senses are involved.

Man was created in the image of God, is also misunderstood. The image is not based on a sensory image. This should have been easy for science to infer, since humans come in so many colors and sizes. Is God a chameleon?

The image off God is more like a disk image in computer lingo; made from a master copy. This image is connected what we call human nature. Human nature is common to all humans independent of race and culture. In that sense, the image of God is connected to the operating system of the human brain, which is accessible via inner man, using the frontal lobe, limbic system, and imagination.

The outer man and sensory reality is a really blend of the inner man and the outer man of cultural and sensory education, which makes it harder to see the base or clear image of God. The cross contamination of data makes the disk image harder to reconcile.

The image of God is loosely analogous to the Windows operating system of computers that can be installed in a wide range of computer with different manufacturers and capacities. It is the same operating system even if the computer shell and hardware look and performs differently.

This can be better understood and even proven to yourself, if you learn how to read the code in the program instead of depend only on the differences in output between Gaming computers and base PC's. The outer man does not go deep enough and expects the hardware to be the solution since we can see and touch it. God is not a hardware solution, but lies with the coding of the brain.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you really believe that just because the Bible says God created man in his image its the exact replica? Where did you get that data from? Is not this pure blind faith you are portraying?

I'm extrapolating based the information available.

Maybe it's not the exact replica. Maybe man looks nothing like God, but was given the same character image.

Or maybe it is the exact replica. Who is to say? :shrug:

Data is limited and subject to interpretation until someone offers further objective evidence.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

firedragon

Veteran Member
I'm extrapolating based the information available.

Maybe it's not the exact replica. Maybe man looks nothing like God, but was given the same character image.

Or maybe it is the exact replica. Who is to say? :shrug:

Data is limited and subject to interpretation until someone offers further objective evidence.

So your premise is a "maybe"? Although you said that as a "definitely".

At least you could read up some Jewish commentators to see what they have to say about it rather than just saying maybe this or that after making a statement like that. Yes?

Brian2

Veteran Member
We are made in the image of God. (Gen 1)

Christ looks just like Him. Christ did not have 9 arms not was he a formless being.

True most people never see God in this life, but that does not take away from what is clearly taught. We are His children and look like Him.

God is said to be Spirit. If God was flesh why would He be called invisible?
If Jesus is the image of the invisible God surely that does not mean that He looks like a God who is invisible. It means He is the image of what God is like on the inside.
Phil 2:5-11 does not say that Jesus was becoming like God when He became a man. He was in the form of God before He became a man.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
So your premise is a "maybe"? Although you said that as a "definitely".

At least you could read up some Jewish commentators to see what they have to say about it rather than just saying maybe this or that after making a statement like that. Yes?

There was no “premise.” I asked questions.

Truth in love

God is said to be Spirit. If God was flesh why would He be called invisible?
If Jesus is the image of the invisible God surely that does not mean that He looks like a God who is invisible. It means He is the image of what God is like on the inside.
Phil 2:5-11 does not say that Jesus was becoming like God when He became a man. He was in the form of God before He became a man.
Invisible means not seen.

seeing God is a very rare thing. So it does not need to mean that God is not like us.

The Bible does not say He was in the Form do God before He was born. (At least not anyplace I can find).

Brian2

Veteran Member
Invisible means not seen.

seeing God is a very rare thing. So it does not need to mean that God is not like us.

The Bible does not say He was in the Form do God before He was born. (At least not anyplace I can find).

Phil 2:5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

Truth in love

Phil 2:5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

Not sure that means His form changed.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Not sure that means His form changed.

I suppose there is no problem for you if you think Jesus was in the form of God before and after becoming a man.
I do say that Jesus was in that form before and after becoming a man, but I see "form" as meaning "nature".
But since verse 8 says, "8 And being found in appearance as a man, " I see that as implying that He did not look like a man before He became a man.