• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Your Religion Have Dietary Requirements?

Does your religion have dietary rules?

• Total voters

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
If so, what are they? Why do they exist?
Yup. We have what we call "the Word of Wisdom." It prohibits the use of tobacco, alcohol and "hot drinks" (which has been interpreted by Church leadership as tea and coffee). It also emphasizes a diet high in fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains and low in meat. Why? To keep us healthy.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Nope. :)

Edit: something related that would be a Yes, customs and traditions of eating or drinking this or that during certain celebrations and such.

Thana

Lady
Yup. We have what we call "the Word of Wisdom." It prohibits the use of tobacco, alcohol and "hot drinks" (which has been interpreted by Church leadership as tea and coffee). It also emphasizes a diet high in fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains and low in meat. Why? To keep us healthy.

What about cold drinks with caffeine in them like Pepsi or Iced Coffee?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
What about cold drinks with caffeine in them like Pepsi or Iced Coffee?
LOL. I was afraid this would come up. In all honesty, while I think that the dietary guidance given by the Word of Wisdom is, in most regards, excellent, the coffee/tea/hot drinks/cold drinks/caffeine issue has become a real cause of frustration for me. The Church has actually come out and said that the Word of Wisdom does not prohibit caffeine. So, Mormons like me who love their Diet Coke (you can keep your Pepsi ;)) can drink it guilt-free. Iced coffee or iced tea, on the other hand, are still coffee and tea and so technically, they are not to be consumed. What's the rationale behind that? I haven't a clue.

Last edited:

Chakra

Premium Member
I also forgot that a Sattvik diet (the diet endorsed by Vaishnavism) prohibits garlic, onions, alcohol, and most root vegetables.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
If so, what are they? Why do they exist?
Hinduism is broad but the teachers I follow are basically against tobacco, drugs, alcohol and meat.
Why do they exist?
These things are harmful to us as these teachers see the subtle effects beyond just the observable physical effects. Meat prohibition is also part of stopping violence and suffering where unnecessary as we can live as healthy or even healthier without meat. So meat eating is really to please the palate at a great cost to the animals and the planet.

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
Yes as listed in Torah....

Reasons, perhaps to avoid the parasites and or virus found in Omnivores and worse Scavengers..

for myself as a personal decision i prefer to be vegetarian ...

Thana

Lady
LOL. I was afraid this would come up. In all honesty, while I think that the dietary guidance given by the Word of Wisdom is, in most regards, excellent, the coffee/tea/hot drinks/cold drinks/caffeine issue has become a real cause of frustration for me. The Church has actually come out and said that the Word of Wisdom does not prohibit caffeine. So, Mormons like me who love their Diet Coke (you can keep your Pepsi ;)) can drink it guilt-free. Iced coffee or iced tea, on the other hand, are still coffee and tea and so technically, they are not to be consumed. What's the rationale behind that? I haven't a clue.

But.. caffeine is practically coffee...
In fact I'm pretty sure the amount of caffeine in diet coke is as much as a cup of tea. I'm not sure I understand the rationale of those dietary restrictions.

Paleo

Primitivism and chill
Nope.
The only thing I can think of that's food related is that many Kemetics eat the food they put on their shrines after a period of time, mimicking the similar act ancient Kemetic Priests did.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
But.. caffeine is practically coffee...
In fact I'm pretty sure the amount of caffeine in diet coke is as much as a cup of tea.
Well, not quite. And besides, it supposedly isn't the caffeine that's the issue.

I'm not sure I understand the rationale of those dietary restrictions.
I'm not sure I do either. It's a good thing I don't like either coffee or tea, though, so it's not a problem for me.