• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Your Religion Have A Dress Code?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Does your faith enforce certain codes of dress? For instance, if it's modesty, what does this mean? How much skin can/can't be shown? Do you have to wear special clothes to your place of worship? Certain things you cannot wear i.e, gold or silk?

:)

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Does your faith enforce certain codes of dress? For instance, if it's modesty, what does this mean? How much skin can/can't be shown? Do you have to wear special clothes to your place of worship? Certain things you cannot wear i.e, gold or silk?

The Baha'i Faith has no dress code. But we are exhorted to exercise moderation in all things.

Tumah

Veteran Member
As an atheists, I'm required to wear shorts and t-shirt
That's interesting, I wasn't aware!
Do atheists of different regions have different customs or are all atheists required to wear shorts and a t, regardless of place of residence and weather conditions?

Laika

Premium Member

Marxist Dress Code.

Rule 1. Wearing this is not a sign of political maturity...

1020-Che-Guevara-short-sleeve-T-shirt.jpg

Rule 2. Help them understand by buying them this for Christmas...

hitler-che-laundry-tshirt.jpg

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Not particularly. Some places of worship want Indian Attire but ehh. As an Australian though I am obliged to wear either Kharkis or Board shorts at all times

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
What, Islam?

:p

The dressing code for men is to cover all parts starting and including bellybutton and knees. As for women, there are controversies, but one thing for certain is that the face should not be covered in prayer. I think this gives a hint about women covering their face in public? But that's another story, I guess.

Limo

Muslim Men shouldn't wear gold or silk either in prayer or in general.

Clothes should be clean from any dirt, urine,****,,,, in prayer. The place should also clean from the above.
Men clothes are normal life clothes, but minimum should cover between bellybutton and knees but shoulders are important to be covered as well.
Women should cover all head and body except for face and palms of the hands.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What, Islam?

:p

The dressing code for men is to cover all parts starting and including bellybutton and knees. As for women, there are controversies, but one thing for certain is that the face should not be covered in prayer. I think this gives a hint about women covering their face in public? But that's another story, I guess.

You had to slide that one in there ;)

@Rival

Only during dance ritual and extended prayer. Nothing tight like pants and a t-. The looser the better and light colors given I don't want to burn up under the sun. Other prayer times which is shorter in nature, anything comfortable. The all around requirement is, no shoes.

We take off our shoes going in the house, I do as well as before going to my altar, outside, and on burial property. (If I'm at the bus stop, I'd take off my shoes sometimes). It's a skin contact with your physical environment that and millions of people who brought us here died under our feet, so why not take off our shoes.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Yes, wear black, and wear red. Ok, mostly black... I never wear red -- I don't even own any red. :D

Clothing optional... Really...

Tumah

Veteran Member
For ultra-Orthodox men, its black shoes, black pants (or black short pants in some Hassidic sects), white shirt, fringe garment (some have the custom to wear it over and some under their shirt), a black vest (usually but not always for those who wear the fringe garment over their shirts) for many sects, a black jacket (or black long jacket for many sects), black yarmulke (usually but not always velvet) and various types of black hats for the various sects.

For ultra-Orthodox women, its basically anything so long as its not form fitting, its not pants, it reaches at least four inches below the knees, three quarter length sleeves, tights and reaches the collar bone. And some type of covering for the hair (there are a few different types - some dependent on sect).

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Other than to wear some form of clothing, I offer no human animals guidelines on what to wear. I find the idea of dress codes to be highly entertaining however.

Esaurus

Hello Rival,

Even though true that some congregations and groups tend to have their own strict dress codes and measure others accordingly, the basic code of Biblical Christianity is simply to dress modestly (1 Timothy 2:9) .

As a man, I testify that the most attractive, beautiful woman in the world is the woman that dresses with virtuous character.

Earl

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
For ultra-Orthodox men, its black shoes, black pants (or black short pants in some Hassidic sects), white shirt, fringe garment (some have the custom to wear it over and some under their shirt), a black vest (usually but not always for those who wear the fringe garment over their shirts) for many sects, a black jacket (or black long jacket for many sects), black yarmulke (usually but not always velvet) and various types of black hats for the various sects.

For ultra-Orthodox women, its basically anything so long as its not form fitting, its not pants, it reaches at least four inches below the knees, three quarter length sleeves, tights and reaches the collar bone. And some type of covering for the hair (there are a few different types - some dependent on sect).
If we ever had an RF get together to meet each other, I don't think you would require a name tag :D

Jedster

Other than to wear some form of clothing, I offer no human animals guidelines on what to wear. I find the idea of dress codes to be highly entertaining however.

I agree. I always dress for comfort,if everyone would do this, then it could be the first step towards world peace.:cool:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, the Druid police will place you under house arrest if your clothing isn't second-hand purchase or 100% organic and chemical-free. :D

Seriously, though... Paganisms on the whole aren't anywhere near authoritarian enough to enforce any sort of decrees like this. We'd just laugh at anyone who tried.

Altfish

Veteran Member
That's interesting, I wasn't aware!
Do atheists of different regions have different customs or are all atheists required to wear shorts and a t, regardless of place of residence and weather conditions?
We have an exemption on Burns Night when kilts may be worn.
AND of course the 25th May where a towel must be carried in memory of the atheist prophet Douglas Adams.
Towel Day - Celebrating the life and work of Douglas Adams

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I must say I quite like the Charedi dress code, I find it very respectable and the hat just makes it. It's very clean looking, imo.

But I also like the Islamic thawb and headdress. I think it looks very clean and such too. I also like how each place has its own type of thawb; my favourites are the Saudi and Qatari styles.