• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does your partner share your faith?

Do you care if your partner shares your religious beliefs?

• Yes

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Depends

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

paganprince

cerridwen devotee
not sure this is the right forum to post this, forgive me!

it's never been a big deal to me whether or not my girlfriend and i had the same religion, but i've recently met a lot of people who feel very strongly otherwise. i'm pagan, and my girlfriend was raised buddhist but considers herself an atheist, and both of us are very respectful of one another's beliefs.

do you share the same belief system as your partner, if you have one? do you care? do you take it into account when looking for someone to share your life with?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a less than mainstream faith and I do care that the man I end up with shares it, which seems unlikely. As I've said many times, this is an issue that makes me think about converting to Judaism proper, but this in itself is not a good enough reason IMO and would need to be substantiated with more than that. Fortunately, I'm not all that bothered right now about having a parter, losing my virginity or anything of the like, but I'll just see what the future brings. This is a big deal to me, but most of my fellow Brits are atheists and if not atheist then Christian. Still, it's not something I'm worried about right now.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I was Catholic but now I’m Hindu, my husband is Catholic, we respect each other’s beliefs. We have Gods, Goddesses, saints, Jesuses (Jesi, Jesae?), Marys all over the house. He’s even learning some Vedic chants and bhajans (songs).He has no idea what he’s saying but he tries. :D

David T

Premium Member
Yes i insist on her being attracted to the opposite sex. We must have that at least in common. And have faith in that! No atheist agnostic crap.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

it's never been a big deal to me whether or not my girlfriend and i had the same religion, but i've recently met a lot of people who feel very strongly otherwise. i'm pagan, and my girlfriend was raised buddhist but considers herself an atheist, and both of us are very respectful of one another's beliefs.

do you share the same belief system as your partner, if you have one? do you care? do you take it into account when looking for someone to share your life with?
We do agree in our faith.

I think the issue (or problems) with different beliefs within the marriage is potential conflicts that could arise. Example:

Someone from the Islamic faith is appalled and even a sin that one would worship Jesus or believe that God has three parts etc and a Christian does not believe that Mohammad was a prophet... potential conflicts with each other and more-so when rearing children.

However, there are cases when two people can and do live together successfully even with different faiths.

Audie

Veteran Member
He is a recovering Judaismist, and I am the
daughter of a jack-Buddhist. I think that means
we are the same faith.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I was Catholic but now I’m Hindu, my husband is Catholic, we respect each other’s beliefs. We have Gods, Goddesses, saints, Jesuses (Jesi, Jesae?), Marys all over the house. He’s even learning some Vedic chants and bhajans (songs).He has no idea what he’s saying but he tries. :D
Really? If my bf tried to talk to me about his religion I would dump him after 5 seconds...

Lol...kidding:p...but yeah I'd be angry

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
My wife and I are both Jewish, both non-practicing. We met in high-school and got married young. My beliefs have evolved, and I am fascinated by God and religion. She is not. It's no big deal.

danieldemol

Premium Member

Don’t share the same belief system. Don’t care that the system is not the same but do care that she doesn’t have the same level of respect for religious freedom. I would take into account core shared values when looking for a partner, for example I can’t see myself being married to someone who believes in death for apostasy.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We don't have religious beliefs and we share them.

He is more relaxed about religious aggression to atheists, i am (shall we say) more outspoken.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Currently, yes, we are both agnostic. When we married, I was Christian and he was not, then three years later, he became a Christian. About five years ago I left the faith and six months later my husband did as well. That six months was tough for me, since he was constantly upset with me for leaving.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Currently, yes, we are both agnostic. When we married, I was Christian and he was not, then three years later, he became a Christian. About five years ago I left the faith and six months later my husband did as well. That six months was tough for me, since he was constantly upset with me for leaving.
Well...with all due respect...it seems your husband doesnt have an autonomous mind.