• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does your belief / religion ect offer a better deal ?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Jesus is enough and there is nothing to do but recieve the free gift of salvation..The only way to recieve is to believe what he did for our sins on the cross . That is hard to be beaten by any other religion , prophet , guru, ascended master, or any practice, meditation, principle, steps , course , ect .
I can not and will not arrgue with your personal belief.

But i would personally be worried if all i had to do was believe someone died for me to not worry how i behave in this life.
To me it just sound to Easy. But i could be wrong

John1.12

Free gift
You haven't defined any of your terms.

What do you mean by 'better'?
I defined it by ' assurance , no fear of death ( i don't mean the fear of dying a horribly painful death by a swarm of bees ect ) ' and ' guaranteed ' certainty/ confident expectation of Eternal life .

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
It would be something that's better than what I have in Jesus, specifically. There are many other claims offering ' truth ' , ' a way ' ,a path ect . The discussion is IF its true then why is it better ?

I'm struggling to determine what it is you have in Jesus that is so good. Sounds like a pretty bad deal to me all said.

John1.12

Free gift
I can not and will not arrgue with your personal belief.

But i would personally be worried if all i had to do was believe someone died for me to not worry how i behave in this life.
To me it just sound to Easy. But i could be wrong
What if it was the motivation and cause of your shift in behaviour to a new and better direction? What if it was the very source of Joy ,fulfilment , and peace the surpasses all understanding. What if your spirit was testified to by God s spirit in a way that you could never predict? All this from accepting the free gift of salvation? What would you feel towards the person who loved you enough to die for all your sins and offers you eternal life with him .

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I defined it by ' assurance , no fear of death ( i don't mean the fear of dying a horribly painful death by a swarm of bees ect ) ' and ' guaranteed ' certainty/ confident expectation of Eternal life .
Is there anyone who can honestly say they are garanteed a place in paradise?

Psalm23

Eternal life sounds like torture to me. After a few million years, it would be boredom. After a few billion years, it would be enough to produce insanity.

I would much rather have a limited lifespan than to live forever. To me, living forever isn't 'good news'; it is terrifying in the extreme. The *good*
news is that it might not be necessary to endure such.

And I happen to *like* the fact that there are always more questions. I *like* figuring things out and testing my ideas. To *not* have all the answers would make an *extended* life more tolerable. Maybe it would be enough for a few hundred thousand years. But to have all the answers *and* live forever seems like a version of hell to me.

Interesting perspective. What especially would you find terrifying about it?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The discussion is not ' do you believe what you believe because it was the most appealing to you ' .

I've expressed my perspective in terms of the classic Blind Men and the Elephant. In Jewish tradition, Rabbi Rami Shipiro had this to say:

“Aren’t all religions equally true? No, all religions are equally false. The relationship of religion to truth is like that of a menu to a meal. The menu describes the meal as best it can. It points to something beyond itself. As long as we use the menu as a guide we do it honor. When we mistake the menu for the meal, we do it and ourselves a grave injustice.”

The original Gospel of The Kingdom of Heaven requires man to love God with all your heart and soul and love your neighbor as yourself. More than a belief about the past, it’s a consecrated way of life now, today and everyday going forward.

That is not something that is given to people but something that people are enjoined to live - to live a life of love and service.

Whether it's expressed in the NT or expressed as "karma yoga" in Hinduism - the message is the same.

To me, it's the opposite of the question in this thread which is about what a religion gives to someone.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What if it was the motivation and cause of your shift in behaviour to a new and better direction? What if it was the very source of Joy ,fulfilment , and peace the surpasses all understanding. What if your spirit was testified to by God s spirit in a way that you could never predict? All this from accepting the free gift of salvation? What would you feel towards the person who loved you enough to die for all your sins and offers you eternal life with him .
To be honest, everything you mention i have found within Sufism, except for salvation from Jesus as a savior. But other than that i foun what i was looking for.

John1.12

Free gift
I'm struggling to determine what it is you have in Jesus that is so good. Sounds like a pretty bad deal to me all said.
Forgiveness, redemption, my spirit is resurrected, Eternal life , peace with God, no fear in death, Loved by God, a new body to come that never dies , I.ll never be sick, or sad ect .

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting perspective. What especially would you find terrifying about it?

The repetition. The lack of wonder in seeing something new. The fatigue from simply living for way, way, way too long.

And that would just be the start. Take that and multiply by a million. Then a billion. Then a trillion. Then a quadrillion.

An eternity is a LONG time.

Even longer than a weekend with the in-laws.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Forgiveness, redemption, my spirit is resurrected, Eternal life , peace with God, no fear in death, Loved by God,

None of those sound appealing to me at all. Why would I want a resurrected spirit? Why would I care about forgiveness? Or redemption? Why would I *want* to be loved by God (assuming such a being even exists)?

a new body to come that never dies , I.ll never be sick, or sad ect .

Being sick allows appreciation for being well. Being sad allows for more joy at other times. Cutting out all negatives will make the positive pale.

Again, sounds like torture.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To be honest, everything you mention i have found within Sufism, except for salvation from Jesus as a savior. But other than that i foun what i was looking for.

Me also. "Salvation" is Christian theology which I do not share.

If someone's belief motivates them to be a better, more loving person, who acts with kindness and compassion, more power to them.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Again thats not the discussion necessarily. Its more IF its true ,does it offer something more than another. I have people from other religions come to me ,but as yet there is nothing out there that offers more than I have.

It sounds to me that Buddhism offers the best deal in this regard.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Me also. "Salvation" is Christian theology which I do not share.

If someone's belief motivates them to be a better, more loving person, who acts with kindness and compassion, more power to them.
I will admit that it is not an easy path, but life is not meant to be easy :)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I will admit that it is not an easy path, but life is not meant to be easy :)

If something is too easy then it's not appreciated and more is even boring. We see people struggling to achieve goals in the world and rejoicing at accomplishing something difficult once they arrive.

The same is true of the inner journey.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If something is too easy then it's not appreciated and more is even boring. We see people struggling to achieve goals in the world and rejoicing at accomplishing something difficult once they arrive.

The same is true of the inner journey.
For me, the strange thing is that when getting through a hard test or struggle in life, what happens is that suddenly i see the world in a more bright way (the nature i mean) and i can recognize parts of the inner world i still have to work on :)