• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Wisconsin's Science "Holiday Tree" Amount To Sacrilege?

Skwim

Veteran Member
"Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers Announces Science-Themed “Holiday Tree” in Capitol

When you’re the Democratic governor of Wisconsin and you have a GOP-dominated legislature, you’re limited in what you’re able to do. But designating the giant evergreen inside the State Capitol a “Holiday Tree” — rather than “Christmas Tree” as your predecessor did — is definitely one way to needle conservatives.

Gov. Tony Evers made the announcement yesterday, adding that the theme of the tree this year was “Celebrate Science.” School kids are invited to send in appropriate decorations to make the tree look more like something you’d find inside Bill Nye‘s house."

HolidayTreeWI2019-1024x574.png

source

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don't think germany/france will mind, being the originator in the Renaissance Alsace area.

Of earlier still, northern European Celts would gather branches to decorate their homes for the mid winter festival.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Alas, the conservatives who complain are the ideological children of the Puritans Europe got rid of.

We didn't get rid of then, they fled because the press gang laws interfered with their recruitment programmes. In America they were free of such an inhibition and so free to kidnap and indoctrinate to their hearts content.

Or so i am told

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am all for keeping religion out of places where it does not belong, but Christmas is such a secular holiday these days that there is nothing wrong with calling that a "Christmas tree".

As long as it is at least accompanied by a bare aluminum pole. Just a small one will do.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
We didn't get rid of then, they fled because the press gang laws interfered with their recruitment programmes. In America they were free of such an inhibition and so free to kidnap and indoctrinate to their hearts content.

Or so i am told
and free to oppress all the religions that oppressed them in Europe...a lot of incredibly stupid behaviors on both sides of the Atlantic...

ChristineM

Premium Member
and free to oppress all the religions that oppressed them in Europe...a lot of incredibly stupid behaviors on both sides of the Atlantic...

Obeying the law is not oppression. They were free to carry on their religion legally, they chose not to

Skwim

Veteran Member
I am all for keeping religion out of places where it does not belong, but Christmas is such a secular holiday these days that there is nothing wrong with calling that a "Christmas tree".

As long as it is at least accompanied by a bare aluminum pole. Just a small one will do.
I agree.

upload_2019-11-9_16-11-0.jpeg

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I simply don't have a problem with a Christmas tree -- and calling it that, and putting an angel on the top. Nor do I have problem with other religious symbolism: a Christmas creche, or a menorah, a yin/yang, a star and crescent.

However, when it comes to public spaces (meaning those under control of government of any kind), I would hope that the rule should be "all or none." If you're going to allow a Christmas tree and creche in December, then you should be just as willing to allow a menorah. If you won't allow the menorah, the hold the tree and manger.

On private property (and that includes malls that are own by private companies), I say put up what you want. But I think I'm right in saying that retailers, especially, will usually be smart enough not to put up what will keep some paying customers away. And if they do, then they'll suffer on the bottom line, and that's their problem.

wellwisher

I simply don't have a problem with a Christmas tree -- and calling it that, and putting an angel on the top. Nor do I have problem with other religious symbolism: a Christmas creche, or a menorah, a yin/yang, a star and crescent.

However, when it comes to public spaces (meaning those under control of government of any kind), I would hope that the rule should be "all or none." If you're going to allow a Christmas tree and creche in December, then you should be just as willing to allow a menorah. If you won't allow the menorah, the hold the tree and manger.

On private property (and that includes malls that are own by private companies), I say put up what you want. But I think I'm right in saying that retailers, especially, will usually be smart enough not to put up what will keep some paying customers away. And if they do, then they'll suffer on the bottom line, and that's their problem.

Christmas is a unique holiday in that over $750 billion will spent at Christmas in the US, alone. This spending benefits a wide range of people, beyond the Christians. It helps merchants, manufacturers, shops, restaurants, theatre, and shippers from all races, colors, religions and creeds, including the atheists.

The revenue from sale tax, alone, more than compensates the left wing Scrooges in Public office. How about no sales tax during Christmas season, if there is no Christmas trees in public places? Why should the hypocrites benefit? Maybe atheists leaders they should refuse all tax revenue from Christmas since this is religious based money. They need to separate state and church.

These other holidays are more limited to those who celebrate them. They do not reach way beyond themselves to create tangible benefits for all including those who oppose it. Maybe in liberalism everyone gets a trophy for just showing up. Christmas gets a trophy for being the champion of holidays. Not all holidays are created equal. Just do the math.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Christmas is a unique holiday in that over $750 billion will spent at Christmas in the US, alone. This spending benefits a wide range of people, beyond the Christians. It helps merchants, manufacturers, shops, restaurants, theatre, and shippers from all races, colors, religions and creeds, including the atheists.

The revenue from sale tax, alone, more than compensates the left wing Scrooges in Public office. How about no sales tax during Christmas season, if there is no Christmas trees in public places? Why should the hypocrites benefit? Maybe atheists leaders they should refuse all tax revenue from Christmas since this is religious based money. They need to separate state and church.

These other holidays are more limited to those who celebrate them. They do not reach way beyond themselves to create tangible benefits for all including those who oppose it. Maybe in liberalism everyone gets a trophy for just showing up. Christmas gets a trophy for being the champion of holidays. Not all holidays are created equal. Just do the math.
Sounds like overkill, to me. And anyway, you are correct in stating that it is a huge holiday -- and that is in itself important. I don't want to be in the business of taking people's traditions away from them. I may not be a Christian, and I don't particularly celebrate Christmas, but I'll play no Scrooge to ruin anybody else's joy.

Skwim

Veteran Member
How could it be sacrilege for something that is not sacred in the first place?

Well, we have:

mw-logo.png

sacred adjective
sa·cred | \ ˈsā-krəd

Definition of sacred
1a : dedicated or set apart for the service or worship of a deity a tree sacred to the gods
b : devoted exclusively to one service or use (as of a person or purpose) a fund sacred to charity
2a : worthy of religious veneration : holy
b : entitled to reverence and respect
3 : of or relating to religion : not secular or profane

logoMacmillan.png

SACRED

sacred /ˈseɪkrɪd/
adjective
1 connected with religion
sacred art

COLLINS Dictionary

sacred

(seɪkrɪd )

1. adjective
Something that is sacred is believed to be holy and to have a special connection with God.

2. adjective [ADJ n]
Something connected with religion or used in religious ceremonies is described as sacred.

3. adjective
You can describe something as sacred when it is regarded as too important to be changed or interfered with.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Well, we have:

mw-logo.png

sacred adjective
sa·cred | \ ˈsā-krəd

Definition of sacred
1a : dedicated or set apart for the service or worship of a deity a tree sacred to the gods
b : devoted exclusively to one service or use (as of a person or purpose) a fund sacred to charity
2a : worthy of religious veneration : holy
b : entitled to reverence and respect
3 : of or relating to religion : not secular or profane

logoMacmillan.png

SACRED

sacred /ˈseɪkrɪd/
adjective
1 connected with religion
sacred art

COLLINS Dictionary

sacred

(seɪkrɪd )

1. adjective
Something that is sacred is believed to be holy and to have a special connection with God.

2. adjective [ADJ n]
Something connected with religion or used in religious ceremonies is described as sacred.

3. adjective
You can describe something as sacred when it is regarded as too important to be changed or interfered with.

You totally missed the sarcasm and responded as the anal grammarian.

Skwim

Veteran Member
You totally missed the sarcasm and responded as the anal grammarian.
Now, now. Let's not be ungracious to those who have just shown you the error of your ways. A simple "Thank you" is far more civil and noble than pretending a face-saving fiction.

You're welcome. :thumbsup:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Now, now. Let's not be ungracious to those who have just shown you the error of your ways. A simple "Thank you" is far more civil and noble than pretending a face-saving fiction.

You're welcome. :thumbsup:

Insulting grammarians without a sense of humor do not earn the brass ring.