• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Time Fall Away?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I wasn't sure where to put this, so I plopped it here in General Debates. If someone thinks there would be a better venue, feel free to let me know.

We've all heard stories about how one's life "flashes before their eyes" just before death.

How can this be possible? Is time just an intellectual quality or construct created by one's intellect that falls away as the brain begins to die? Is it possible one experiences their life without time as the body and brain begin the death process?

Discuss.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's a difficult issue to tackle. First we have to establish what time is. And a quick glance at a night sky will demonstrate our understanding of time is not necessary congruent with how we perceive time (in this case, observing the ancient past, now, in the present).
As for death, I did read an article once, by a bio-someone (maybe biologist, but I don't really remember) that when we did we "wake up" at previous time in our life (but no explanation how).

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I wasn't sure where to put this, so I plopped it here in General Debates. If someone thinks there would be a better venue, feel free to let me know.

We've all heard stories about how one's life "flashes before their eyes" just before death.

How can this be possible? Is time just an intellectual quality or construct created by one's intellect that falls away as the brain begins to die? Is it possible one experiences their life without time as the body and brain begin the death process?

Discuss.

I have to say this is one of the more interesting questions asked in RF lately :)

I do not know why we see memories of the past before we die, and I don't know if that is what truly happens. But could it be because we leaving this physical realm when we die?
But what is the spirit we seem to be is not in this realm in the first place :confused:

Is our brain playing us a trick just before we die?
Is time only something we imagine in this physical realm?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Discuss.

The marking of time is a human construct to help organise entropy and cause and effect. To a human it is also a relative thing, when bored it appears to pass far more slowly then when excited. (Or near a computer but my theory here is that a CPU emits a time warp field, so 10 minutes within the field relates to 2 hours outside the field).

I believe that life passing before your eyes is a consequence of your brain reviewing your life when you are in an extreme situation, interestingly it does not seem to flash in chronological order.

Here is the abstract of the paper i read a few years ago
Unfortunately I can't find the paper online now
The life review experience: Qualitative and quantitative characteristics - ScienceDirect

exchemist

Veteran Member

Discuss.

The perception of time by human beings is very elastic. But time itself is a physical metric.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

Discuss.

When I'm in an altered state of consciousness, time to me seems diluted or stretched out. The eight minute song Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin seems to be lasting at least ten minutes.

Everything is happening in slow motion. Why is this happening to me? Is time real?

Nimos

How can this be possible?
Read that at least some suggest that the part of the brain which hold these memories are the last to go.

However will make a wild guess here and speculation, based on absolutely nothing whatsoever :D. That maybe our memories are held in check, meaning that something in the brain prevent them from just "running" loose when we are alive. And as we have these near death experiences, the process for doing that goes as well, which let the memories loose.

Now point me in the direction of the Nobel prize!!! :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Read that at least some suggest that the part of the brain which hold these memories are the last to go.

However will make a wild guess here and speculation, based on absolutely nothing whatsoever :D. That maybe our memories are held in check, meaning that something in the brain prevent them from just "running" loose when we are alive. And as we have these near death experiences, the process for doing that goes as well, which let the memories loose.

My belief exactly (if anyone cares :p). I was actually going to post the same thing.

Cooky

Veteran Member

That's sad to me.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Discuss.

if i understand the akashic records, then you can see the whole thing in an instant because consciousness is not relative; when disconnected from a form. something has to be relative to be measurable.

kind of like having a flash of memory from the past, or flashback. its written there on the ether permanently. there is nothing new under the sun.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

brains do not create memories, or consciousness. a brain is nothing but an antennae which captures information uploads/downloads through the senses. the body is a machine. consciousness is the driver, or mind/spirit.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member

Since the flash happens before a probable death (enough people didn't die and could tell us about the phenomenon) it has nothing to do with death but with the stress situation in anticipation of death (or a severe accident).
My guess is that the adrenalin causes/enables the brain to look for a solution in its memory at a speed that is otherwise reserved for the dream state.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
time is not a force or substance

it cannot be stuffed into a bottle

It is a quotient on a chalkboard
there it will stay

as for the speed of thought compressing or expanding your sense of time
yep
that can happen

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

If you decide to concentrate (as preparation for meditation), and sit on a chair, watching your thoughts
Sometimes they can go racing quite fast, so I can imagine a similar thing happens "just before death"

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The perception of time by human beings is very elastic. But time itself is a physical metric.

I once saw Einstein quoted as saying something along the lines of time is an illusion, albeit a persistent one. Do you have an idea of what he meant by that? I've always wondered.