• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does theism lead to immoral behaviour?

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
That's obvious..
The same applies to drugs offences .. it depends on the individual's case whether a person will be charged.

Not an example of blasphemy, but I agree that drug addiction should be treated as an illness, not a crime. However, drug trafficking is another matter, since spreading drug addiction can actually harm the victims.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Not an example of blasphemy, but I agree that drug addiction should be treated as an illness, not a crime. However, drug trafficking is another matter, since spreading drug addiction can actually harm the victims.
Would you criminalise alcohol distribution?

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Would you criminalise alcohol distribution?

Alcohol is a legal, but regulated, drug. It was once criminalized, and that failed. Cocaine also used to be legal, but its criminalization actually worked. Addiction to both should be treated as a medical condition. I think that distribution depends on the drug and its impact on society. Alcohol is heavily socialized and used in many social rituals. Cocaine is not, although it is in some areas of South America. Marijuana is becoming legal in many places, including my state of Washington, where its distribution is regulated. So my answer is: it's complicated.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
A wiki definition? Okay. Hmm…

Usually immoral is defined as breaching of moral and moral is always a set of normative code against a particular ethic principle.

That means that the ethic principle (utility, categorical imp., divine, etc.) must be named before we can speak of what is moral vs. not.

In secular societies, a divine ethic principle for example, is not the moral basis but in a religious one, it is.

That’s what I meant.

Humbly,
Hermit

I agree with the above.

The problem of 'blaming Theism' for immorality is that what is moral and immoral in the history of humanity is a natural evolutionary development of a social omnivore with a complex social structure necessary for th survival of the species. Morals vary greatly and evidence shows they evolve, but the they have a common theme of standards to protect the basic family and tribal core units of human society.

It is illogical and unresonable to blame Theism for something that is naturally a part of being human. Though the problem remains that ancient religions particularly Abrahamic religions encourage extreme rival tribalism today that results in 'immoral and violent behavior against those who believe differently, and perpetuate ancient moral and social standards that encourage divisions and advocate that their standards be forced on non-believers.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It is illogical and unresonable to blame Theism for something that is naturally a part of being human. Though the problem remains that ancient religions particularly Abrahamic religions encourage extreme rival tribalism today that results in 'immoral and violent behavior against those who believe differently, and perpetuate ancient moral and social standards that encourage divisions and advocate that their standards be forced on non-believers.

"The problem isn't theism; the problem is Abrahamic religion (i.e. the vast majority of theism)."

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
"The problem isn't theism; the problem is Abrahamic religion (i.e. the vast majority of theism)."

The problem exists all throughout the history of humanity in cultures and societies where immoral(?) behavior is prevalent in societies and cultures that 'are not Theist and immoral/moral behavior is a consistent property of human nature.'

Your argument is plagued with the 'Fallacy of False Generalization,.' and the high fog index of what is moral? and immoral?.

Last edited: