• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the study of philosophy ever lead to answers?

Deidre

I think there are more questions that get stirred up by philosophy, than answers. But might it be that our answers, are the only ones that matter to us, because of that inner pull to to see the world through our own skewed lens?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I think there are more questions that get stirred up by philosophy, than answers. But might it be that our answers, are the only ones that matter to us, because of that inner pull to to see the world through our own skewed lens?

Philosophy leads to answers on the personal level and societal level but not on the scientific level. It can lead to some great Hypothesis's.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Yes it does, but not the kind of answers that everyone expects.

When people don't find what they expected to find, they usually stop there, and declare that philosophy provides no answers, or only subjective, personal answers, etc. That's an understandable response. A very human thing to do. If you don't see what you expect, you stop there.

Yet, 'stopping there' overlooks how philosophy not only leads to answers but has been providing some of the most useful and influential answers in the history of western culture for over 2,500 years.

Indeed, right offhand I can think of a philosophical answer that has quite arguably had a greater impact on western culture that the Theory of Relativity.

I honestly hate to do this, but I don't have time at the moment to say more than that. However, I will come back later when I do have time and edit this post to explain what I just said.

EDIT: I pick up where I left off in post #31, which can be found here:

Does the study of philosophy ever lead to answers?

gnomon

There are always so many answers. Doesn't matter.

Does philosophy, in this vague question, lead to solutions?

Deidre

When people don't find what they expected to find, they usually stop there, and declare that philosophy provides no answers, or only subjective, personal answers, etc. That's an understandable response. A very human thing to do. If you don't see what you expect, you stop there.

Yet, 'stopping there' overlooks how philosophy not only leads to answers but has been providing some of the most useful and influential answers in the history of western culture for over 2,500 years.

Indeed, right offhand I can think of a philosophical answer that has quite arguably had a greater impact on western culture that the Theory of Relativity.

I honestly hate to do this, but I don't have time at the moment to say more than that. However, I will come back later when I do have time and edit this post to explain what I just said.

Agreed. People often stop when they cease hearing what they wanted to hear. haha Guilty of this at times.

I want to hear this philosophical answer that you allude to?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

What? Why you...!!!!

Tease. You a JUST A TEASE!

gnomon

We'll hold your beer.:)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

There's one clear advantage to being an atheist...I'm not so interested in the final destination. Philosophy might provide a little guidance on the journey to get there though. Not as much as beer and pizza, but more than...say...politicians.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I find that philosophical questions are best discussed over beer and pizza...

or late at night, under a star-lit sky...

Or late at night sitting tending a campfire...

I rarely remember the answers, and maybe not even the questions...

But man, I do remember the discussions...

Hah! I've been at that campfire too. It was one heckuva conversation.

Deidre

There's one clear advantage to being an atheist...I'm not so interested in the final destination. Philosophy might provide a little guidance on the journey to get there though. Not as much as beer and pizza, but more than...say...politicians.
Oh, we theists are interested in the journey, as well. It's in the journey where the questions and answers both meet. :beermug::pizza:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, we theists are interested in the journey, as well. It's in the journey where the questions and answers both meet. :beermug::pizza:

Yep! I agree. You guys (broad-brushing) are interested in both the journey and the destination, whilst I'm thinking the journey IS the destination. I mean, the 'final destination' is pretty boring, to my way of thinking.

So, think of philosophy as a way to select between a number of goat trails which all meander their way to the same place eventually. None of them solve anything, but some goat trails have more metaphorical goat poo on them.

See? I have the soul of a poet!!