• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the Original Theory of Evolution say anything about origin of life?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
The Theory of Evolution explains the mechanisms of Biological Evolution.
It has absolutely nothing to do with the origins of life, whether it be through abiogenesis, exogenesis, panspermia, or supernatural creation.
(The last being the most scientifically unlikely.)

Yerda

Veteran Member
It says that life only needed to originate once. The evidence is that all living organisms discovered so far share an apparent relationship.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Yes. It was generally assumed that God directly created living things in their current form (special creation) only a few thousand years ago.
Darwin wrote in his book "life was breathed into a few living things by God"

Skwim

Veteran Member
Yes. It was generally assumed that God directly created living things in their current form (special creation) only a few thousand years ago.
Are you asserting this is part of his theory of evolution?

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Are you asserting this is part of his theory of evolution?

im making no assertions.

it was taken as a matter of fact that God created the first living creatures. its even stated by Darwin towards the end of his book.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie

Really?

"It is interesting to contemplate an entangled bank, clothed with many plants of many kinds, with birds singing on the bushes, with various insects flitting about, and with worms crawling through the damp earth, and to reflect that these elaborately constructed forms, so different from each other, and dependent on each other in so complex a manner, have all been produced by laws acting around us ... Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved"
http://darwin-online.org.uk/content/frameset?viewtype=side&itemID=F373&pageseq=7

Skwim

Veteran Member
im making no assertions.

it was taken as a matter of fact that God created the first living creatures. its even stated by Darwin towards the end of his book.
Then considering the topic of the thread is specifically about Darwin's theory I have to wonder why you bothered to make the remark you did. :confused:

Witch9

Then considering the topic of the thread is specifically about Darwin's theory I have to wonder why you bothered to make the remark you did. :confused:

Really? I must have missed that. I didn't see Darwin and Wallace mentioned in the OP.

Does the Original Theory of Evolution say anything about origin of life?
If yes, then what and with what evidence?

I think asking whether the "Original Theory of Evolution" says anything about the origin of life is too vague a question to answer without some criteria regarding what the original theory was, if indeed it can be identified at all. Just because so many now attribute the so-called OTE to Darwin (and ignore Wallace) doesn't mean they're right. I actually consider that perspective to be somewhat narrow-minded and exclusionary, not much different than believers who dismiss science because their scriptures tell different stories.

On the Origin of Species
was considered to be a "new" theory about how the biology and physiology of species changes over time. Previous concepts and arguments date back to the times of Greek philosophers and Chinese sages who predated Darwin and Wallace by more than 2,000 years.

Further, the ideas and conjectures of Velikovsky, von
Däniken, Sitchin and some others raise questions about whether, as far as the first humans on this planet are concerned, we are talking about evolution or engineering. Yeah, they've been dismissed and "debunked", but so was Galileo. They laughed at Christopher Columbus, too. Scientists debunk believers, and believers dismiss scientists and one another. Beliefs not withstanding, I don't think anyone knows for sure.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Really? I must have missed that. I didn't see Darwin and Wallace mentioned in the OP.
It's through inference.
Thread Title: " Does the Original Theory of Evolution say anything about origin of life?"
There is only one person responsible for penning the original theory of evolution.

Witch9

It's through inference.
Thread Title: " Does the Original Theory of Evolution say anything about origin of life?"
There is only one person responsible for penning the original theory of evolution.

On the Origin of Species
was considered to be a "new" theory about how the biology and physiology of species changes over time. Previous concepts and arguments date back to the times of Greek philosophers and Chinese sages who predated Darwin and Wallace by more than 2,000 years.

"The roots of naturalistic thinking in biology can be dated to at least the 6th century BCE, with the Greek philosopher Anaximander. ... The word evolution was first used in relation to development of species in 1762, when Charles Bonnet used it for his concept of "pre-formation", in which females carried a miniature form of all future generations. The term gradually gained a more general meaning of growth or progressive development. The first published modern use of the word has been attributed to the Edinburgh New Philosophical Journal in 1826, edited by Robert Jameson but arguably authored by Robert Edmond Grant.

Evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Skwim

Veteran Member
You see? Discussion never stops. It is like rust. It is like evolution.:D
argh.gif

lunakilo

I think asking whether the "Original Theory of Evolution" says anything about the origin of life is too vague a question to answer without some criteria regarding what the original theory was, if indeed it can be identified at all. Just because so many now attribute the so-called OTE to Darwin (and ignore Wallace) doesn't mean they're right. I actually consider that perspective to be somewhat narrow-minded and exclusionary, not much different than believers who dismiss science because their scriptures tell different stories.
Maybe atanu could define which theory is the Original Theory of Evolution refered to in the question.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
It's through inference.

how about the french biologist G. de Buffon of the 1700's? or J de Lamark who was the first to argue forcefully for evolution and to propose a mechanism by which it might occur?

And then there is Darwins contemporary Alfred Russel Wallace?

atanu

Premium Member
Maybe atanu could define which theory is the Original Theory of Evolution refered to in the question.

I meant Darwin mainly and also Wallace. I had not much idea of the previous thought/knowledge that existed prior to Darwin formalising the concept.