• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the Left-Hand Path have any connection to the bible?

Princeps Eugenius

So i know that in the bible, specifically the Gospels, Jesus says that on the right side, before the judgement seat, the good "sheep" will be gathered who will go to heaven. and on the LEFT HAND, before the judgement seat, the "goats" will be gathered who will go to hell. Its somewhere in the Gospel of Matthew, too lazy to search it for you, but its 100% in there.

Does this passage have anything to do with LHP or Satanism? It all kind of plays along with the bad and evil side of Satanism but i dont think anyone would choose to go to hell willingly. Is it somehow related?

picnic

It's just that good old discrimination against left-handed people. I remember the frustration I had as a child trying to learn to use a pair of right-handed scissors. As another example, the left-hand side of a knight's shield was called the "sinister". So I'm not surprised in the least to hear that all the left-handed people will be lined-up and sent to hell at the final judgment. ;)

Liu

It's an age-old concept of humans to consider the left side to be in some way inferior to the right side. I don't know whether it's the case in all cultures, but at least in the Indoeuropean languages also the words used for left and right very often have additional meanings, and I assume the reason is more instinctive than cultural. "Sinister" and "laevus" for example are the Latin words for "left", but they also mean "wrong", "bad" etc., whereas the word for "right", namely "dexter", also means "rightful", "proper", "dexterous".
The anthropological reason for such connotations might be that for most humans the right hand is the one they use mainly. That has developed to cultural specifications like the Hinduistic tradition to use only the right hand for eating and only the left hand when going to the toilet. Biologically I guess using the right side as the more active one has the advantage that it allows the side where the heart is on to be more passive and thereby more protected. And well, using separate hands for eating and for cleaning also has biological advantages.

It however is not the case that the words for left always only have negative meanings and words for right only have positive meanings, there exist counter examples as well.

Regarding the LHP, or vama-marga, it's not completely clear where this Sanskrit name comes from exactly since also this Sanskrit word "vama", meaning "left", has many other meanings, just look: http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?script=HK&beginning=0+&tinput=vAma+&trans=Translate&direction=AU

So, the name of the vama-marga is not a biblical reference, they are related on a deeper level if at all.
One could however argue that the fact that "LHP" was adopted as a term by us westerners and nowadays is used as a quasi-synonym for Satanism was supported by our own cultural connotations with the left side.

Last edited:

Mindmaster

Premium Member
The bible has no connection to any spiritual path. To be on a spiritual path you have to be the magician or the monk, but you can't get anywhere if you don't do anything. You can read all the books you want and fill your head full of **** and you are just wasting time. You can attend church until you fall over dead into a box... Real power comes through mastery, and illumination comes through meditation. No one can do the work for you, and no wishing will make your life better.

ScottySatan

The bible has no connection to any spiritual path. To be on a spiritual path you have to be the magician or the monk, but you can't get anywhere if you don't do anything. You can read all the books you want and fill your head full of **** and you are just wasting time. You can attend church until you fall over dead into a box... Real power comes through mastery, and illumination comes through meditation. No one can do the work for you, and no wishing will make your life better.

Very *****y. I like it.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
So i know that in the bible, specifically the Gospels, Jesus says that on the right side, before the judgement seat, the good "sheep" will be gathered who will go to heaven. and on the LEFT HAND, before the judgement seat, the "goats" will be gathered who will go to hell. Its somewhere in the Gospel of Matthew, too lazy to search it for you, but its 100% in there.

Does this passage have anything to do with LHP or Satanism? It all kind of plays along with the bad and evil side of Satanism but i dont think anyone would choose to go to hell willingly. Is it somehow related?
I seriously doubt it since there was no Satanism or western left hand path at the time Matthew was written (80 and 90 AD)

ThirtyThree

Mat 25:32-41: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

Mat 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

This passage has nothing to do with the LHP.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Nope. The real origins of western LHP is a culturally appropriated term from Dharmic religions, which changed in meaning to something fairly different in the last 100 or so years.

People like me have been on both sides of that LHP definition ; one essentially can be traced back through early Satanists back to early 20th century magicians who used it to mean the 'evil/bad' path.

The other... is a different beast and more specific to cultural norms, orthodoxy and practice, but not really different in end-goal, so to speak.

But neither has to do with the Bible.

ExOrienteNox

Magician
Read the Book, Lords of the Left-Hand Path by Stephen Flowers
Its a Great Book, showing that the Left-Hand Path dont begin or have a ''connection'' to the Bible,
Its show that the Left-Hand Path was Always Here, in a Form or another, in All Culture, Country .