• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the existence of ancient extraterrestrials affect the religious narrative?

dianaiad

This is IMO indeed a contradiction of terms :)

I rather would say: If modern humans really understood the ancient Stories of Creation, they would reject the very thoughts of "Ancient Aliens".

Sweetie, I'm a Mormon. Now you might consider that this makes me automatically suspect, but the problem here is that this belief system taught early in its existence that there are 'worlds without number,' with 'people' (thinking beings) upon them. If some of them are bright and technically advanced enough to get here and can prove that they were responsible for many, if not all, of the physical miracles, I'd have a few pointed questions to ask, but it wouldn't be a huge belief destroyer.

Now, all this is hypothetical, of course...but my beliefs regarding the possibility do not keep me from examining the issue. It ain't gonna happen, in other words, but it's fun to think and argue over.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
So, no water before the stars. No planet before the stars. And you agree that our sun is a second generation star. And all living beings have a common ancestor.

Cool, but that will require such a level of reinterpretation of the narrative to make the rest totally unreliable. How on earth do I know the author is using figurative language or not? Could be that Jesus is figurative, too. Who can say?
You are STILL judging the biblical story without considering all the other cultural Stories of Creation, so you don´t get anywhere at all in your studies.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
Sweetie, I'm a Mormon. Now you might consider that this makes me automatically suspect, but the problem here is that this belief system taught early in its existence that there are 'worlds without number,' with 'people' (thinking beings) upon them.
Hello Sweetie yourself :) It´s not what you are that counts to me, buth what you express :)

When we have some spiritual experiences of cosmos, we interpret these according to what we´ve learned in our culture. Some cultures take cosmic inspirations and it´s content as a conversation between divine individuals and other cultures just speaks of a non personal meeting with a cosmic power.

Cosmically seen, there of course are "many worlds" out there and lots of cosmic powers which "speaks" to us. But this isn´t the same as there are aliens out there at all. There could be of course , but IMO most Ancient Aliens proponents just misinterpret the ancient Stories of Creation.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Yes, but it doesn't elaborate. Holy books don't give details about other planets.

It shouldn't have to, the idea is to promote that the earth is not the only "world" in the universe. Unless you have a better idea of what "Lord of the worlds" mean, please share them.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
True. But other planets have whole different religions. Other worlds, other contact with God. We are Earthers. Earthers we are unique.

To you. I'm just a man, a very weak man, temporal and fallible. Whatever divine essence that exists within me is from the Creator. Although I'm unique in the sense that I'm different from a fish, I'm not unique in the sense that I have something more than other life forms.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
You are STILL judging the biblical story without considering all the other cultural Stories of Creation, so you don´t get anywhere at all in your studies.

My studies? If you call study dismissing several hundred pages of a book after the obvious absurdities present in the first one, then...cool. I am a biblical scholar.

So, what’ s next? Some equally plausible creation stories involving the excrements of some divinities. Or cosmic eggs of some sort. :)

Ciao

- viole