• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Suicide=Hell?

ButcherGEIN

retrorich said:
I was referring to the actual act of commiting suicide. While it undoubtedly takes courage to continue living during periods of great adversity, I still maintain that the actual act of suicide also requires courage.
Not to me... I welcome death with open arms when it is dealt to me by forces beyond my control. I believe in reincarnation so if I did shoot myself in the head I know I would just come back again and live in another body. With my mind set firmly on that... from my angle, to commit suicide is the easiest thing in the world to do... you just have to take that last step over the edge... you just have to pull that trigger and end it. It's the easiest thing in the world... a complete cop out if you ask me. It takes up to 100 years to live a life... it takes only a fraction of a second to take it away from yourself.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
ButcherGEIN said:
Not to me... I welcome death with open arms when it is dealt to me by forces beyond my control. I believe in reincarnation so if I did shoot myself in the head I know I would just come back again and live in another body. With my mind set firmly on that... from my angle, to commit suicide is the easiest thing in the world to do... you just have to take that last step over the edge... you just have to pull that trigger and end it. It's the easiest thing in the world... a complete cop out if you ask me. It takes up to 100 years to live a life... it takes only a fraction of a second to take it away from yourself.

imagine 2 rooms. one with your your favourite color, one with an ugly one. wich one would you choose?
2 rooms, one with your fav music, one with horrible. wich one?
2 rooms, one stuffed with money, one with bugs..
2 rooms, one with a horrible life, one with a gun and a bullet..
Are you choosing the eay way or the smart way? And isn't choosing the easy way not the same as the smart way? If life is only suffering, then why is suicide cowardus and not smart?

Besides, if you really believe in reincarnation, than suicide isn't your way out. Doesn't that make you brave to choose another path instead of cowardus?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
dawny0826 said:
Oh great...I'm the first to voice a different opinion. (Go figure.)

If an individual in their right mind...makes the decision to take their own life...I have a hard time accepting the fact that this individual would be heaven bound.

Christ is salvation. If an individual placed their trust in Christ...they really could overcome whatever obstacles that they're facing.

As far as taking your own life due to complete insanity...who knows? God makes no mistakes...it's in His hands.

O.K Dawny; what you said above applies to me (well, the last attempt anyway).

I was in my 'right' mind; I decided to take my own life.

The reason ? (surely that must play a part in the equation ?)
I knew I was not a good enough Father, or husband. Could I become one ? - no way.

I genuinely wanted to give my wife and children the opportunity to 'have me totally out of the scene' (not by separation or divorce; they would have had feelings of guilt - and I do Know that). What was the alternative ? to disappear off the face of the Earth, and to lose myself where no one would ever find me would have no finality to it; the grieving would never be 'finished' with.

The choice to end my life was as a genuine gift to my wife and children, in the hope that they would find a good husband and father.

Is that evil?

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
There is a movie called What Dreams May Come, starring Robin Williams. It's a great movie, and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Well Robin Williams is a husband and father of two. The two boys die in a car wreck and the mother blames herself because she did not drive the kids to their destination that day. A few years later, Robin Williams dies. He ends up reuniting with his children. But finds out that his wife has commited suicide and is in hell. He is told that there is not alternative, but he goes against the norm, and goes to hell to save her. It was not the act of suicide that put her there, it was the guilt she put on herself that weighed on her so heavily that she had a type of amnesia. She did not recognize her husband when she saw him.

Love wins out in the end. And you just have to see this movie. Cuba Gooding Jr. is also in it. And it's a great way to describe how I believe Heaven and Hell works.

ButcherGEIN

Bouncing Ball said:
imagine 2 rooms. one with your your favourite color, one with an ugly one. wich one would you choose?
2 rooms, one with your fav music, one with horrible. wich one?
2 rooms, one stuffed with money, one with bugs..
2 rooms, one with a horrible life, one with a gun and a bullet..
Are you choosing the eay way or the smart way? And isn't choosing the easy way not the same as the smart way? If life is only suffering, then why is suicide cowardus and not smart?

Besides, if you really believe in reincarnation, than suicide isn't your way out. Doesn't that make you brave to choose another path instead of cowardus?

I think I fail to see your point. Life isn't two rooms... Life is infinite rooms where the contents of each room contains the results of actions that YOU have taken (or actions that others have taken that have affected you).

Who says sometimes the easy way and the smart way aren't one in the same? It's all about choosing your battles by using a little forethought.
Whatever you do tho, make sure you're not going to make a decision you would regret, and if you do, DEAL WITH IT and learn your lesson.

Life is a sacred gift. If you are here and you have a ****ty life it's for a reason (i.e. perhaps there is a lesson to be learned). Cope with it... shape life to make it become what you want it to be. If you are terminally ill, hang on for as long as you can. Then when the time comes you'll know when to drift off and there will finally be an end of your suffering.

ButcherGEIN

Ibrahim Al-Amin said:
I came to the RF tonight in search of some answers. My wife is asleep and now I'm awake, thinking.

My father committed suicide today.

Locked in his bedroom, he placed a bullet in his head, with family members outside the door trying to get in. I was not there; I fly home tomorrow. I am emotionally numb at the moment, trying to understand how it came to this. He lived such an active life. He was a physician and worked for many years trying to help underprivileged people obtain health care, but the last few years his health has deteriorated, and he began using prescription medications for pain. It has been a slow, painful spiral, watching him wither.

I have no idea the thoughts and emotions I will explore over the coming weeks and months, and I am extremely afraid. Like I wrote above, I am numb now, but I know when I arrive home tomorrow night, and see the faces of my family, I will encounter emotions I have never imagined.

I knew he would pass someday -- but this seems so unnatural, such a violation of nature -- that it's really difficult to understand. Does anyone know of any support groups? I may need help coping.

IA-A

I aplogize for my harsh nature on the subject but my beliefs are my beliefs. I missed this post... and I realized that I posted mine right after yours. I was NOT trying to throw that in your face just to be an *******, just so you know. I know fully well what it's like to lose someone (father in particular as I found his body on my grandmothers bathroom floor with a needle hanging out of his arm when I was 7).

I'm very sorry that you had to go through this. I hope that you find peace within yourself and that you realize that people who are dead set on going that route simply cannot be helped (especially when there is pain and suffering involved).

ButcherGEIN

dawny0826 said:
Christ is salvation. If an individual placed their trust in Christ...they really could overcome whatever obstacles that they're facing.
HAHAHA I don't need to place my trust in Christ to overcome any obstacle. In fact, before thelema, I was really really trying to put all my problems in the hands of god. Jesus and God aren't going to fix your problems... neither is acting like those problems don't exist once you give them over to God.

You alone, hold the key to your destiny. The powers control the possibilities of the room behind the door that the key unlocks.

Todd

Rajun Cajun
commandment4 said:
do you believe that anyyone that commits suicide goes to hell?

No. I believe there is a Hell, but I believe suicide is the same as murder. Murder can be forgiven, so I believe suicide can be forgiven. My belief is that Jesus paid for my sins past, present, and future (which would include suicide). Although, I don't think suicide is the best option in many if not all cases.

Here's a list of who committed suicide in the bible (please let me know if I missed someone). I just thought these were interesting and relivant to this discussion. These are not quotes from the bible (I'm just summing up what is mentioned).

Samson (judges 16:29,30) - This was more about God's judgement than suicide, but he killed himself in the process by tearing down the support pillars where the temple stood.

Saul and his armor-bearer(1 Samuel 31:4) - Saul (already injured) did not want to face the abuse of the Philistine army, so he killed himself. The armor bearer killed himself when he saw that Saul was dead.

Ahithopel (2 Samuel 17:23) - Because his advice had not been followed, he hung himself.

Zimri (1 Kings 16:18) - burned himself in the citadel of the royal palace due to the city being attacked.

Judas (Matthew 27:5) - hanged himself for betraying Jesus.

Ernestine

Hell is not a burning place of torment where dead people go. The word hell comes from the Hebrew word "sheol", and the Greek word "Hades" translated grave or pit. The original meaning of hell did not convey any thought of heat or torment but simply "covered over or concealed". When people die they all go to hell or to their common grave. So, yes, if a person commits suicide, they do go to hell (or to their grave).

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Ernestine said:
The original meaning of hell did not convey any thought of heat or torment but simply "covered over or concealed".
then could not Hell = Ignorance?