• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Suicide=Hell?

Opethian

And you are a bit rude. Jeesh. That's her opinon.

Yes I am a bit rude, sorry for that. I just hate it when people claim things like,
If an individual in their right mind...makes the decision to take their own life...I have a hard time accepting the fact that this individual would be heaven bound.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Opethian said:
But what if your mother hadn't been a geriatric/psyche nurse? What if no one was there to help you? There's plenty of people out there that commit suicide because of things like that. It's not faith that saves you it's people that do.

What? To us faith is what saves us, along with people and God's help. I know for one that without God I wouldn't be here today.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Opethian said:
But what if your mother hadn't been a geriatric/psyche nurse? What if no one was there to help you? There's plenty of people out there that commit suicide because of things like that. It's not faith that saves you it's people that do.

Do you even understand the concept of faith?

I don't have all the answers.

I'm just thankful to be where I am now.

Judgement Day

Opethian said:
Didnt you read her post?

dawny0826 said:
I was able to turn my life around because of her prayers and understanding.

Prayers and understanding requires faith. Thats what saved her.

michel said:
Phew, well, I have had 4 tries at it, and either I'm not very good at it, or someone somewhere was pulling out the stops to make sure I didn't succeed. Actually, I think the latter is the case. Each time, I was accidentally found much earlier than I ought to have been.

But there is a dillema here; because, as Christians, surely we take on board that 'thinking the deed' makes us as guilty as actually carrying it out. Now, surely, to my way of thinking, I am in for a hard time..............

Now, if God judges us from what is in our hearts, he would know that two attempts were made when I was in no fit mental state to know what I was doing (excusable ?). The other attempts were made in a genuine attempt to give my wife and children a 'let out' from being stuck with someone who is 'unfit for the Job'. Even though they have never forgiven me for the attempts, I still consider that they were made as a genuine 'gift' to my family.

Personally, I don't believe in hell; I believe that we have to 'prove' ourselves over a number of lives (however many it takes to 'get it right'); in the end, we will all be 'at one' with God.

Only you and God knows what all of that means. We're all just talking here because none of us knows. Anyone who says they do are not being honest. I personally believe that if you've tried 4 times without success, somebody up there is telling you something. Hate to sound so cheesy, but you know...

Melody

dawny0826 said:
If an individual in their right mind...makes the decision to take their own life...I have a hard time accepting the fact that this individual would be heaven bound.

Christ is salvation. If an individual placed their trust in Christ...they really could overcome whatever obstacles that they're facing.

I would make the argument that if an individual chooses to suicide, that's absolute proof that they are not in their "right mind". I mean, how many people who commit (or attempt) suicide wake up one day and say "Gee....life is good. I think I'll kill myself."?

We are imperfect human beings and, as our Creator, God knows that. Perfect faith and perfect trust in God are something we strive for, but the fact is, we will never achieve it....and God doesn't expect us to or Christ would not have been necessary.

My God is a merciful God and I believe that the act of suicide alone will not condemn anyone to hell.

there are several examples of people in the bible and other religious texts that show people that are faced with impossible odds. the easy thing for them to do is to take there own life. God commanded that we all live for the fullness of our lives with peace and to multiply and replenish the land. there are circumstances that people will comment suicide, but to do willingly... is rebilling agents God. regardless of which religion you are in (except some oriental believes). but at the end you will be judged on your works in this life. it is part of the plan of salvation that God instructed us to follow. it is in this that we all can be saved. to decide is our own decisions one of the greatest gifts that god gave is agency. so follow what you believe and then ask; Is this what God would want me to do? remember the premises of all religion’s is to promote peace. the radicals promote dead and wickedness.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
commandment4 said:
do you believe that anyyone that commits suicide goes to hell?

I believe that anyone who commits suicide might be full of such negative feelings (self hatred, guilt, remorse), they might create hell for themself.

But I also believe that just because someone puts themselves there doesn't mean that the love of God, and his willingness to forgive ceases for them.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Melody said:
I would make the argument that if an individual chooses to suicide, that's absolute proof that they are not in their "right mind". I mean, how many people who commit (or attempt) suicide wake up one day and say "Gee....life is good. I think I'll kill myself."?

We are imperfect human beings and, as our Creator, God knows that. Perfect faith and perfect trust in God are something we strive for, but the fact is, we will never achieve it....and God doesn't expect us to or Christ would not have been necessary.

My God is a merciful God and I believe that the act of suicide alone will not condemn anyone to hell.

If an individual was in Christ...prior to losing their mind...yes, in that case, I do not believe that they would be condemned to hell.

kompia

Suicide is an option by man's choice....
Judas also have a choice at the time after he betrayed Jesus... what do he do with it???
Where is he right now??? I cannot said... because i'm not the judge...
but one thing i know for sure is, it is a sin to commit suicide... Ten commandments :- Thou should not kill......

Just my opinion

Bishka

Veteran Member
kompia said:
Suicide is an option by man's choice....
Judas also have a choice at the time after he betrayed Jesus... what do he do with it???
Where is he right now??? I cannot said... because i'm not the judge...
but one thing i know for sure is, it is a sin to commit suicide... Ten commandments :- Thou should not kill......

Just my opinion

But what if you are not of the right mind, I think that's what's being argued here. What if you are not thinking straight? So people who have severe depression who committ suicide are automatically sinning and cannot be forgiven?:confused:

I came to the RF tonight in search of some answers. My wife is asleep and now I'm awake, thinking.

My father committed suicide today.

Locked in his bedroom, he placed a bullet in his head, with family members outside the door trying to get in. I was not there; I fly home tomorrow. I am emotionally numb at the moment, trying to understand how it came to this. He lived such an active life. He was a physician and worked for many years trying to help underprivileged people obtain health care, but the last few years his health has deteriorated, and he began using prescription medications for pain. It has been a slow, painful spiral, watching him wither.

I have no idea the thoughts and emotions I will explore over the coming weeks and months, and I am extremely afraid. Like I wrote above, I am numb now, but I know when I arrive home tomorrow night, and see the faces of my family, I will encounter emotions I have never imagined.

I knew he would pass someday -- but this seems so unnatural, such a violation of nature -- that it's really difficult to understand. Does anyone know of any support groups? I may need help coping.

IA-A

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
ButcherGEIN said:
Hell is within your own mind. In my eyes there is no bigger act of cowardice than to take your own life.
Funny, because I'm not a cowardas guy, yet the last thing I would dare to do is kill myself..

Ori

Angel slayer
I don't see how people who kill themselves can be condemned to Hell, after all they're already in Hell, that's why they take their lives.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
ButcherGEIN said:
In my eyes there is no bigger act of cowardice than to take your own life.
An act of cowardice? I don't think so. Do you think you would have the courage to put a gun to your head and pull the trigger? Think about it and answer honestly to yourself.

It is sad that professionally assisted suicide is not currently legal.

FREE DR. KEVORKIAN !!!

ButcherGEIN

retrorich said:
An act of cowardice? I don't think so. Do you think you would have the courage to put a gun to your head and pull the trigger? Think about it and answer honestly to yourself.

It is sad that professionally assisted suicide is not currently legal.

FREE DR. KEVORKIAN !!!
How about instead of answering to myself, I share my answer with you here? I think that sounds like a reasonable idea considering the fact that this is a debate forum.:slap:

The WHOLE point of life TO ME is to suffer but survive as long as you can. It would have been all too easy to put a gun to my head and shoot myself when I was a homeless college dropout drug addict with nothing to live for. Instead, I found something to live for and followed after that with unmatched conviction. Next thing I know, my dreams and wishes are coming true all over the place. Granted, times are still tough but they're better than they were and are only looking better and better. I'm happy with striving to improve myself and following my will.

Once I realized that the purpose of life was to suffer, the next logical conclusion I came to is that each obstacle holds a lesson that can be learned. Therefore, we can assume that through suffering you become wiser and stronger. To me, this is an incredibly positive message because it helps me understand that no matter how bad things get, if I preservere, when the smoke settles I'll have the experience of having gone through something that most people WOULD have put a gun to their head and pulled the trigger over.

I believe that as long as I intentionally don't do anything to harm myself then I am immune to death until the powers decide it's time. When death finally comes it will be GREAT because odds are by that time (unless I die by a freak accident which is very possible) I'll be old and probably sick of limping around and hurting all the time.
Hell, I have those days when I hope that it's my fate to die that day because I'm so depressed or feel horrible... but NEVER would I take my own life. NEVER. Even if I had a body full of cancer and I was on my death bed.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
I was referring to the actual act of commiting suicide. While it undoubtedly takes courage to continue living during periods of great adversity, I still maintain that the actual act of suicide also requires courage.