• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Suicide=Hell?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Phew, well, I have had 4 tries at it, and either I'm not very good at it, or someone somewhere was pulling out the stops to make sure I didn't succeed. Actually, I think the latter is the case. Each time, I was accidentally found much earlier than I ought to have been.

But there is a dillema here; because, as Christians, surely we take on board that 'thinking the deed' makes us as guilty as actually carrying it out. Now, surely, to my way of thinking, I am in for a hard time..............

Now, if God judges us from what is in our hearts, he would know that two attempts were made when I was in no fit mental state to know what I was doing (excusable ?). The other attempts were made in a genuine attempt to give my wife and children a 'let out' from being stuck with someone who is 'unfit for the Job'. Even though they have never forgiven me for the attempts, I still consider that they were made as a genuine 'gift' to my family.

Personally, I don't believe in hell; I believe that we have to 'prove' ourselves over a number of lives (however many it takes to 'get it right'); in the end, we will all be 'at one' with God.

Opethian

Well he hasn't replied on his own thread for a while now. Look at what you've done with your positive comments, MURDERERS !!!

:D

Judgement Day

michel said:
Phew, well, I have had 4 tries at it, and either I'm not very good at it, or someone somewhere was pulling out the stops to make sure I didn't succeed. Actually, I think the latter is the case. Each time, I was accidentally found much earlier than I ought to have been.
Glad you're still alive ;) .

Mike182

Flaming Queer
im sorry, this is a very serious and emotional subject to some people, but i feel i have to say this:

what kind of suicide are we talking about? because the intention behind suicide can very.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I don't think that suicide will land anybody in hell, because my version of hell is a bit different. =) God knows what you are going through, He knows your mental state, if it was true that even people who think about it, try etc, go to hell. Then I would be there a VERY long time ago.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Oh great...I'm the first to voice a different opinion. (Go figure.)

If an individual in their right mind...makes the decision to take their own life...I have a hard time accepting the fact that this individual would be heaven bound.

Christ is salvation. If an individual placed their trust in Christ...they really could overcome whatever obstacles that they're facing.

As far as taking your own life due to complete insanity...who knows? God makes no mistakes...it's in His hands.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Suicide occurs when the stresses and detrimental situations that occur to a person grow to a level beyond that person's ability to cope with them. It is not a fault of the individual person. Therefore, I cannot think that suicide would impose any negative judgement.

If a person cannot live because they are unable to cope, then they will try to kill themselves. By lowering the stresses and/or raising their stress tolerance, they can live longer. However, most cannot do this without extensive help.

For God to do this would be immoral, in my opinion. And I don't care how blasphemous that sounds. I also believe that any God with a place of eternal torment is also immoral. Of course, I don't believe in a God like that anyway.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Suicide occurs when the stresses and detrimental situations that occur to a person grow to a level beyond that person's ability to cope with them. It is not a fault of the individual person. Therefore, I cannot think that suicide would impose any negative judgement.

I agree with Dru on this. When people committ suicide 99.9% of them are in an unfit state.

Opethian

Oh great...I'm the first to voice a different opinion. (Go figure.)
If an individual in their right mind...makes the decision to take their own life...I have a hard time accepting the fact that this individual would be heaven bound.

Christ is salvation. If an individual placed their trust in Christ...they really could overcome whatever obstacles that they're facing.

I'd like to see what you would do if you would experience the same things they did. But that wouldn't be possible since I believe that 'you' is completely physical, all you are is your body, so if you would put 'you' (essentially nothing without a body) inside of someone who is thinking of committing suicide, you would do exactly the same thing, since you would be completely the same person, since all that defines you is your body. Of course, most people don't share this view, and some fundamentalist people like you live in an incredible fairy tale world where they think some god takes care of everything and don't care about explaining things, just say it's god's will...

As far as taking your own life due to complete insanity...who knows? God makes no mistakes...it's in His hands.

This is just laughable.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Opethian said:
I'd like to see what you would do if you would experience the same things they did. But that wouldn't be possible since I believe that 'you' is completely physical, all you are is your body, so if you would put 'you' (essentially nothing without a body) inside of someone who is thinking of committing suicide, you would do exactly the same thing, since you would be completely the same person, since all that defines you is your body. Of course, most people don't share this view, and some fundamentalist people like you live in an incredible fairy tale world where they think some god takes care of everything and don't care about explaining things, just say it's god's will...

This is just laughable.

I've been suicidal. I've tried to take my life and I belonged in a mental instituation at one point in my life. If my mother wasn't a geriatric/psyche nurse...I would have been institutionalized. I was able to turn my life around because of her prayers and understanding.

So, don't make assumptions about who I am and what I have or haven't been through.

I don't claim to be God.

And I have every right to voice my OPINION as you do.

Opethian

I've been suicidal. I've tried to take my life and I belonged in a mental instituation at one point in my life. If my mother wasn't a geriatric/phsyche nurse...I would have been institutionalized. I was able to turn my life around because of her prayers and understanding.

But what if your mother hadn't been a geriatric/psyche nurse? What if no one was there to help you? There's plenty of people out there that commit suicide because of things like that. It's not faith that saves you it's people that do.