• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does she exist?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We don't have rings. It's not a Hindu thing.
:D We not only have rings but also necklaces, adornment for forehead (tika), ear rings, nose rings, bangles, arm bands (Bajuband above the elbow), belts (kardhani), and payals (around the ankles) - and Bichhua in North India (rings for the toes). The poor will be satisfied by silver, the rich will have gold and jewels.

edit-11may2018-main-e3cea.jpg
8b85d077446e50de370c7bf9e6e1dba5.jpg

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
My girlfriend and I lived in an apartment nearby where we are at the moment. Usually, we would meet a neighbour on the way to the lift. He was a bit odd, awkward and had that sort of complainy and needy people pleasing(but fakey) attitude. Whenever we saw him, he would talk about his girlfriend a lot and how they are getting married and eventually how they got married. However, the whole time we were there, we never saw a ring on his finger or his girlfriend/fiance/wife. We sometimes met him(by himself) by accident while shopping, and we definitely tried to avoid him if we saw him first lol.

Does she exist?
This is in 'Religious Debates'.

Are you getting at something deeper here? Like perhaps a Christian claiming to be married to God/Jesus?

charlie sc

This is in 'Religious Debates'.

Are you getting at something deeper here? Like perhaps a Christian claiming to be married to God/Jesus?
Maybe.

From the information I've given, can you determine she exists?
You could say a number of things, like I don't know and there's not enough information available.
You could say yes, of course she exists. You could also say no, it's unlikely. :)

George-ananda

Premium Member
Maybe.

From the information I've given, can you determine she exists?
You could say a number of things, like I don't know and there's not enough information available.
You could say yes, of course she exists. You could also say no, it's unlikely. :)
Ok, I would think...She probably exists (as having a wife is not a terribly rare thing).

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure what you mean when you try to conflate virtues. The only virtues I know about are the ones Aristotle spoke about.

I'm not sure why you take the route of claiming I'm trying to "conflate virtues" instead of asking what I mean by the term.

Lol are we knights living in the medieval era?

Mockery does you no credit when you could instead ask clarifying questions.

For someone who claims to be born with critical thinking skills, you certainly have presented limited options :p

Again, mockery does you no credit. I was willing to overlook your needless, thinly-veiled character attacks earlier. It's why I have left them out of quoting you, because they add nothing to the conversation and are little more than trolling.

I am done overlooking it. Knock it off.

Even better, review what a "metaphor" is and recognize when something is a metaphor rather than literal.

So, at this point it is obvious you have an agenda with this thread. You might as well just tell us, though you've revealed as much here and there in other posts as it is.

My fiance’s cost $30ish. We’ve decided blowing a lot on a ring is a waste of money.

I agree. And since a ring is symbolic only, it makes perfect sense to use money on more important things.

My ring is black too. The collor i like in rings. So, ten dolkars and i like it too. Thats a good deal.

charlie sc

I'm not sure why you take the route of claiming I'm trying to "conflate virtues" instead of asking what I mean by the term.
Ok, what do you mean by virtue?

Mockery does you no credit when you could instead ask clarifying questions.
I didn't mean to offend. Sorry. I'm not used to talking about honour so I found it quite funny.

Again, mockery does you no credit. I was willing to overlook your needless, thinly-veiled character attacks earlier. It's why I have left them out of quoting you, because they add nothing to the conversation and are little more than trolling.

I am done overlooking it. Knock it off.

Even better, review what a "metaphor" is and recognize when something is a metaphor rather than literal.

So, at this point it is obvious you have an agenda with this thread. You might as well just tell us, though you've revealed as much here and there in other posts as it is.
Look, I'm sorry if I offended you. I was making light of your statement where you said said you were born with your critical thinking switch on from birth. I'll refrain from doing this from now on.

I didn't really have an agenda. I was curious how people would answer my question. My obvious choice is, "I don't know." There's slightly more reason to suspect non-existence but that's not necessarily the case. If testimony is enough to believe in someone, so be it - no worries. However, I am curious how far this line of reasoning goes and if it conflicts with bias.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Have you ever not believed someone? If you have, what are the cues?
My opinion of the person and the full story of what I’m being told. It can range from essentially certain to very doubtful. Clues are a million subtle and not so subtle things weighted by my wisdom gained from my many years of watching people and the world.

charlie sc

My opinion of the person and the full story of what I’m being told. It can range from essentially certain to very doubtful. Clues are a million subtle and not so subtle things weighted by my wisdom gained from my many years of watching people and the world.
Though in this case you can't examine other people physically. You only have second hand testimony(hearsay) and you're judging based on what's the norm and what's not the norm. Though I do congratulate you because you're the only one that has answered this question ;)

dingdao

The eternal Tao cannot be told - Tao Te Ching
Let's try another angle: What is his psychological payoff of telling a stranger about his romance - real or imagined?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
My girlfriend and I lived in an apartment nearby where we are at the moment. Usually, we would meet a neighbour on the way to the lift. He was a bit odd, awkward and had that sort of complainy and needy people pleasing(but fakey) attitude. Whenever we saw him, he would talk about his girlfriend a lot and how they are getting married and eventually how they got married. However, the whole time we were there, we never saw a ring on his finger or his girlfriend/fiance/wife. We sometimes met him(by himself) by accident while shopping, and we definitely tried to avoid him if we saw him first lol.

Does she exist?
Ask the two of them over for dinner.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I could. I don’t care really but this was more of a curiosity if theists would think she does exist based on testimony from someone you don’t know ;)
A number of them claim to have met [him] (as distinct from seen [him]) but they're by no means the majority.

But at least in your example we know we're looking for a woman. With the others, we don't know what.