• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does scripture from the bible support the LDS church?

DavyCrocket2003

I have only addressed a tiny part of your post, but I think an important one.
Silent prayer, prayer in silence and meditation.

I nearly always attend thursday evening communion in our church. The service is led by any one of several priests. Two are full time priests and the others are either part time or retired even a retired Bishop.

They fall into three groups.
1 The "teachers" who remind us of the past saints, martyrs, missionaries and leaders and the work they have done for Christendom.
2) The "evangelicals" who take every opportunity to use the daily gospel texts. to encourage us to action.
3) The "Contemplatives" Who give us time to meditate in silence and enter into a spiritual dialogue.

Of course in practice, there is an element of each in all three.

But the main difference is being given sufficient " Silent Time" to contemplate and to pray.

It is this taking time that is so difficult in our daily lives.
Rather like a rushed meal gives no time for digestion.
Rushed prayer is one sided, even selfish, or poorly considered... The Holy spirit will guide your prayers, if you wait on him and give him time. It leads to a totally different experience.

I always look forward to the Thursday evening communions, not because they are poorly attended which they tend to be, but because I know I will sometimes have time to pray silently with others of a like mind.

Guys this is all wonderful stuff! One of my favorite teachings of Paul is this:

26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
Romans 8

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I think that says it all as to who is more rational, more objective and more accurate.
Actually, it doesn't. I have no problem with people who take a different position than I do. I just have a problem with questionable sources. What, specifically, have I said that is either irrational or inaccurate?

Who cares about 66 years as a Mormon? Who care about 10 years on Rf?
Anybody who wants accurate information on Mormonism, that's who. You seem to believe that I am posting inaccurate information, half-truths or a white-washed version of LDS doctrine, culture and history, but you have not provided any evidence of that. I have given you no reason whatsoever to have pre-judged me as being dishonest, underhanded or deceitful in talking to people about Mormonism, and yet you are convinced that this is the case. I can't figure out why.

Trot out your hundreds of posters, you sure can't make a case based on your performance in this thread ... and at the moment that's all that counts.
It may well be all that counts with you. I don't need to trot out anyone, but the sum total of all my 24,000 posts counts for a lot in the minds of many people who have read them. I know because they've told me so. Your opinion doesn't really matter to me, but I've really got to wonder why you are so antagonistic towards Mormonism. Obviously, I don't know your history (i.e. what experiences you've had with Mormons and Mormonism), but I just don't get the reason behind your seething bitterness. You are ablaze with ignorant aggressiveness. You presume to judge things and people of which you clearly know very little. As far as this particular topic is concerned, I'm through talking to you. Please be free to have the final word.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I was about to press "post", and when the computer balked at this, I then noted Scotts comment and your reply.

I actually AM speaking of revelation in any form God wishes to give it. Revelations, dreams, waking visions, voices, intelligence or understanding being "poured into" the person God wishes to enlighten, setting up external circumstances to ensure a certain thing will happen. In authentic religion, God communicates to individuals. That communication is one of the hallmarks of authentic religion (as opposed to a simple study of religion such as theology, which any athiest can do as well as a theist). Still, after making my this clarification, I will have to get back with you in about 12 hours or so.

I dont think its helpful to clump all these into one category such as 'revelation'

The Apostle John's book is called Revelation and its a series of supernatural visions and visits by angels. And thats not the sort of experience most people have.

I certainly do believe and have faith that God can provide such visions to anyone he chooses. But i also recognise that very few people have actually had this type of revelation.

But I know that God provides us with understanding, I also have experienced spriitual enlightenment which can only be given by God. For example, Jesus himself said: John 6;44 No man can come to me unless the Father, who sent me, draws him, and I will resurrect him on the last day. 45 It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by Jehovah.’ Everyone who has listened to the Father and has learned comes to me...65 He went on to say: “This is why I have said to you, no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.”

I 100% believe these words are true. Knowing Christ according to the spirit of God can only be revealed to a person if God himself draws a person to the truth. To me, that is revelation.... but its not a vision or an angel who does this. Its Gods holy spirit leading a person to a correct understanding.

And this is not just my opinion, it is the Spirit of God who has said this and its found in the scriptures at 2 Corinthians 4:3 If, in fact, the good news we declare is veiled, it is veiled among those who are perishing, 4 among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, so that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.

I hope this helps you understand my position on the matter of revelation. I thought you were speaking of visions and visits by angels and while I believe these can happen if God decides, I dont believe they are happening today. They happened to selected individuals in ancient times and those accounts were recorded for us in the bible...but they are far and few between.

Have a lovely trip, and stay safe. :)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
[FONT=&quot]
Pegg [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot], I hope that such examples make sense to you in terms of their effect upon the lives of individuals who have them and what it might mean that God is willing to communicate to anyone who has faith to seek communication with him. I do not believe there is anything special about me, but what is special is God’s love and grace and mercy on us that are not particularly special.[/FONT]

You really have to be careful when considering dreams to be 'revelations from God' though. Yes, God can reveal information to a person in a dream, but so can the demons and Satan do the same thing. And the fact that dream interpretation was common among ancient pagan relgions, dreams in general cannot be considered to be reliable revealers of the future. In the days of God’s prophet Jeremiah, there were false prophets saying: “I have had a dream! I have had a dream!” (Jeremiah 23:25)

Gods Word warns us against those who use dreams as a means of foretelling the future:
Zechariah 10:2: “The teraphim themselves have spoken what is uncanny; and the practicers of divination, for their part, have visioned falsehood, and valueless dreams are what they keep speaking.”
The reason is because God is not the only one who can give a person information in a dream... so can the demons.

ANd if we look at the bible examples of those who did have dreams from God, the information in those dreams was not obscure, and the interpretation was explained to the person by an angelic messenger. For example Joseph had a dream where an Angle spoke to him about his wife mary and her pregnancy and it was very specific and direct...he wasn't left wondering what it all meant. And when Pharoah had his dream, Gods prophet was able to interpret the dream and even tell Pharoah what the dream entailed.

But the bible is very clear that dreams can be a form of divination and we should be very wary of attributing our personal dreams as revelation from God... because they just may not be.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It may well be all that counts with you. I don't need to trot out anyone, but the sum total of all my 24,000 posts counts for a lot in the minds of many people who have read them.

I will vouch for this. :) If ever I want to actually learn something about Mormonism, I know where to go on these forums. So do a lot of other people.

I'm Hindu, BTW,

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I dont know why people think that... seriously, a 'version' is just another translation

Fair enough.

If it makes you feel better:
Is this why the Jehovah Witnesses made their own translation of the Bible?​

Perhaps you will answer now that I have used your preferred word?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Fair enough.

If it makes you feel better:
Is this why the Jehovah Witnesses made their own translation of the Bible?​

Perhaps you will answer now that I have used your preferred word?

Most modern bibles removed Gods name from the bible, so the New World Translation committee have chosen to replace every occurrence of Gods name back into the bible where it should be.

And they have made it in current modern english to make it easier to understand.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Unfortunately, many denominations use writings not based on the bible and the LDS is one of them. So while some of their teachings are in harmony with scripture, there are other teachings which are based on writings that are not.

Unfortunately? JWs use the Watchtower in which many things are not based on the Bible. A certain teaching of the Jehovah's Witnesses says that to miss one meeting is contending with the scripture at Hebrews 10:25. It is a Watchtower teaching, not a Bible teaching. Also they are taught their job is to make people Jehovah's Witnesses, which is not taught in the Bible. Another one is they say the 144,000 are all Jehovah's Witnesses in this time of the end and no one new will become a part of it. A Watchtower teaching. There are many more, I am sure.

Norman

Defender of Truth
Hi, my name is Kara and I have been searching for the true church of Christ for about a year now. I do not affiliate myself with any church, but I do have faith in Christ, limiting my search to the Christian denominations. However I am open to hearing all opinions and beliefs, whether they be Christian or not.

In the New Testament Christ says in John 17:21, "That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me." Further, 1 Corinthians 1:10 states, "Now I beseech you brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgement." It is clear that Christ and his apostles urged for their followers to be united. It is also clear that with the many Christian denominations that have appeared over the years, we are by no means united. We are divided, which can lead to the conclusion that many of these denominations have strayed from Christ's true church, as they each have differing opinions and beliefs pertaining to the interpretation of the bible. This is where my issue lies. Which church holds the doctrine that Christ himself taught as he was living on this Earth?

I have been interested in the LDS church and in its teachings, as I am fascinated by how people could believe in the outrageous claims made by Joseph Smith. But through much research, I have found that scripture strictly from the bible may support that this church is true. Now, I don't know for sure, which is why I've come to this site to express my opinions and to hear yours.

The bible speaks of a falling away from Christ's true church, known to the Mormons as the Apostasy.
Acts 4:26 says, "The Kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord, and against his Christ." Many turned against the Lord and rebuked his doctrine. Christ told his apostles that they "shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake," that "false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many" (Matthew 9-12). The truth in the apostles was hated, and false prophets lead many away from the truth. There are many other scriptures including John 16:1-4, Acts 20: 29-30, 2 Corinthians 11:12-15, Jude 1:3-4, and many more that reveal the falling away from Christ's true gospel. 2 Thessalonians 2:1-3 even states that Christ will not return until "there come a falling away first..." From these scriptures, it seems very clear that Christ's true church had fallen due to the mistakes of men.

Now many may feel the need to quote Matt 16:18, which states "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it [the church]." And since Mormons believe that Christ's church had fallen, then they are directly calling Christ a liar, and therefore, their church cannot be true. However, Christ uses the word "prevail," which means to defeat or to conquer over. If Mormons believe that Christ's true church exists today in the form of the LDS church, then clearly satan did not "prevail" over it. Sure maybe satan knocked down the true church for a while, but did he prevail over it? Certainly not. And, according to scripture, it is perfectly reasonable to believe that Christ's church did get knocked down for a while in the Apostasy.

Matthew 16:18….Does not refer to an earthly church in light of Jewish teaching and culture, Jesus was speaking to a Jewish audience. Jehovah alone rules in the spirit world, according to the Jewish doctrine, and his angels stand guard over the wicked ones.
"The gates of hell," The gates of hell are the gates of Hades -- the "holding back" of those who are in the spirit world from attaining the object of their desire. The Jews believed in Hades, the underworld, the world of spirits.
the Savior Jesus Christ broke the band of death, gates of hell, gates of hades, when he died and visited the world of spirits, and then was resurrected breaking the sting of death.
It has no reference to the Lord’s earthly church. What is meant by the phrase, "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it"? It is also important to note that the word used for "hell" in Matt. 16 is Hades, which refers to the habitation of the dead.
The victory of the Church over Hades does not refer to victory in this life and on this earth, but victory after death: those who follow Christ and accept his Gospel will escape the bands of spiritual death, being freed from any claim Hades might have on them thanks to the atoning blood of Christ.

Now the LDS church also believes that they have the restored gospel that was lost during the Apostasy. Lets see if scripture supports the restoration of the church. Revelation 14:6 claims that an angel would have the "everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth." Acts 3:20-21 states that "the heaven must receive [Jesus Christ] until the restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began." Ephesians 1:9-10 says "That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ." These scriptures seem to be supporting that Christ's true church would eventually be restored.

The LDS church also believes in the importance of works, and that we will be judged by them, but we are saved by grace with the ability to repent of sins. Check out James 2:14-16, Matthew 7:21, Matthew 16:27, Hebrews 13:21, Ephesians 2:8-9, Revelation 20:12-13, Revelation 22:12.

Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Check out Ephesian 4:11-14. It says how Christ's goal was for the "perfecting of the saints... Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ" The goal is for a unity of faith, and for man to eventually become perfect. Interestingly enough, Mormons believe in the ability of man to become perfect, just how the Father and the Son are perfect, that we may become like them, and exalt to godhood.

It also seems that a lot of scripture supports that God the Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are separate beings. John 8:16-18, Matthew 3:16-17, John 20:17, Acts 7:55-56, and other scripure all seem to support this idea. It is interesting to note that the idea of the Trinity was decided at the Council of Nicea, when Constantine wanted to unite the Christians in doctrine and in beliefs. A majority vote ruled that the Trinity would be an accepted doctrine of the church. Nowhere in the scripture does it definitively state that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are one being. God did not reveal the concept of the Trinity to a prophet, nor did Christ preach of it. It was simply a decision made by a group of men.

There are a few other things that I could mention but I'll stop here. If I have anything wrong, please feel free to let me know. Like I previously stated, I am open to all opinions and beliefs. I am sincerely searching for the true church of Christ, if it even exists on this Earth today. Much of what I am reading is actually pointing me in the direction of the LDS church. I do believe, like the Mormons, that many religions all have elements of truth to them. Anyone preaching to do good and not to do evil has some influence from God. But I do believe that truth is truth, that there can be only one fully true church, one fully true religion (if it even exists on the Earth today).

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I look forward to your comments.

Sincerely,
Kara :)

Kara, no church on earth can compare itself to the first century church like The Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints can.

Norman

Defender of Truth
(Name of this Church) Hebrews 12:23…Church of the “First Born” (Jesus Christ) Jesus was referred to as the ‘First Born.’
My church is called The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, (Latter Day Saints, to differentiate us from the Meridian of Time Saints in Christ day)
(Head Quarters of this church is in Jerusalem) Acts 15:2…go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question.
Head Quarters of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Salt Lake City, Utah
(Jesus prays and chooses twelve and names them Apostles)…Luke 6:12-16…Simon, (Peter), Andrew, James, John, Phillip, Bartholonew, Matthew, Thomas, James, Simon, Judas, Judas (Iscariot).
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has Twelve Apostles
So important was the Apostleship (When one of these Apostles died he was replaced through prayer, showing without Apostles, no Church ) Acts 1: 11:22-26
When an Apostle dies in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, they are replaced.
(When a problem arose in any branch of this church, it went to the Apostles / buildings in this church called “Branches”) Acts 15:1-2,4-5,7-29…Peter, Barnabas, Paul, James, Simeon, talked about the problem. The dispute is settled. Letters are written by the Apostles to these three branches of the church (Antioch branch, Syria branch, and Cilicia branch). Paul and Barnabus are chosen by the Apostles to deliver these letters. Two leaders of the Antioch branch then speaks words of instruction.
In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, all major problems are directed to the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Letters are sent from church headquarters to all branches of the church.
(This Church is a proselytizing Church, Apostles chooses missionaries, so the Apostles can focus on other things) Acts 6:3,6…Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business. These apostles prayed and then laid hands on them.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has 15 Nation Wide Missionary Training centers globally. Just from the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah, three thousand missionaries go out monthly around the world. Following the pattern Jesus Christ established in the New Testament, full-time missionaries are sent out two by two (see Mark 6:7). They spend all day, every day, with an assigned companion (once they depart the MTC, companion changes occur every couple of months).
Luke 10:1…The New Testament Church had an Office of Seventy
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has an Office of the Seventy, Seventy men, their mission is to proselytize and handle other matters.
Ephesians 3:5…This church had, One Lord, One faith, one baptism…………..
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, believes in one Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, teaches the same doctrine of faith globally, and consistent mode of Baptism as entry into the church globally, we teach repentance before Baptism, after Baptism, the laying on of hands to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost (see Acts 2:38.
Ephesians 3:11…The New Testament Church had, prophets, evangelists, pastors, teachers
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has a prophet, and two counselors, (first presidency in New Testament church, Peter (prophet) James (1st counselor) John (2nd counselor) we also have evangelists (actually are Patriarchs, who give Patriarchal blessings), (Pastors, actually is a Bishop), and we have several teachers in one branch.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, still believes today, as the great prophet Amos taught to an apostate Israel. Amos 3:7…Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealth his secret unto his servants the prophets.
New Testament church….1 Corinthians 12:27…miracles, gifts of healings, governments, and diversity of tongues.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints believes in miracles, gifts of healings, we have a structured governmental church, and diversity of tongues (many nationalities globally who are members, many languages)
(Purpose of this church and members called Saints) Ephesians 3:12…for the perfecting of the Saints, work of the ministry, edifying the body of Christ.
The mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, is for the perfecting of the saints, work of the ministry, and for the edifying of the body of Christ.
(What Paul said to New Converts / members of this church called Saints) Ephesians 3:19…ye are no more strangers, foreigners, are now fellow citizens with the Saints and house hold of God.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints members are called Saints.
(Paul compares this church to a building, tells New Converts what the foundation of this church building is) Ephesians 3:20…foundation of apostles, prophets, Jesus Christ is the corner stone. (without these three, this church cannot exist)
The foundation of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the prophet, Qourom of the twelve Apostles, and Jesus Christ is the corner stone of our church.
(Paul says structure of church is perfect )Ephesian 3:21…all the building fitly framed together, groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, the structure of the church is perfect because Jesus Christ called and organized it.
New Testament Church…1 Timothy 3:1…Office of Bishop
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has the Office of a Bishop in every Branch of the church globally, and a Bishop over the whole church globally.
1 Peter 2:5….This church has a Royal priesthood, is spiritual, offers spiritual sacrifices, is accepted by God through Jesus Christ, members of this church is a peculiar people to others, and is a holy nation………………………
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, males hold the Priesthood of Aaron, and the Melchezidek Priesthood.
New Testament Church….Philip 1:1; 1 Tim3:8,10-13…Office of Deacon
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, has the office of Deacon.
New Testament Church…James 5:14…This church has Elders; who lay their hands on sick peoples heads and anoints their head with oil and pronounces a blessing.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, all males holding the Melchezidec priesthood are called Elders and male missionaries are called elders, anoints a sick person’s head with olive oil, and then lays their hand upon the person’s head and pronounces a blessing by the power of the Melchezidec priesthood as lead by the holy ghost, and ends in the name of Jesus Christ.
Rom. 15: 26… (The New Testament Church had a welfare program with-in the church)…..For it hath pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has a welfare program of the church provided from the Fast offerings of each member of the church. Once a month each member of the church fasts for 24 hours, (if their health allows them) and gives money in-place of the dinner meal of the day in Fast offerings. It is this money that is used to care for the Saints who need it, and others outside of the Church. The Church has a global welfare program also.
The earliest Christians were “continually in the temple, praising and blessing God” Luke 24:52-53; “
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, has Temples built unto Jesus Christ, the Lord’s house, members go to these temples to praise and bless God by partaking of ordinaces.
Apostle Paul saw a vision of Christ while praying in the Temple, indicating
the temple was a house of revelation for the earlier Christians Acts 22:17-18
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints considers it’s Temples as a house of revelation, instruction, and teaching’s. The Jews called the Temple the gateway to heaven, the Latter Day Saints agree with them wholeheardedly.
The early Saints Baptized by proxy for the dead, 1 Corinthians 15:29
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Baptize our kindred who have gone on before us, by proxy, in the House of the Lord (Temple)
James pointed out what pure religion is. James 1:26…If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man’s religion is vain.
James 1:27…Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
In conclusion: We claim a restoration of the First Century Church. We do not claim a ‘Reformation.”
My back ground: I was born into the Roman Catholic Church. I later embraced Judaism with my Father. I then was baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I have been a member now for 25 years. God bless you.

Clear

Premium Member
1) TerryWoodenPic :
I very much agree with DavyCrocket2003’s point that your comment on revelation in post #120 was quite poignant.

I have a friend who is a quaker and they have faith to have revelation. He described some of their meetings where the congregation simply sits quietly, listening to the spirit and when someone feels inspired, they get up and say what they feel the spirit is telling them. He says that the meetings when many individuals get up , they call it a “popcorn” meeting. At other times, he says these meetings are more quiet. Though, as you say, the meetings can be more meditative, I think this anglican practice is wonderful and instructive for those who are able to see what you see in this practice. I like it.

2) Pegg initially said : “[FONT=&quot]I dont receive revelation, never have and most likely never will....i have never been spoken to by Jehovah... at least not in person"”[/FONT]

Pegg now feels “ “I also have experienced spriitual enlightenment which can only be given by God. “

I am glad you are now able to claim that that you have received revelation from God.

If there is a God, as Christianity claims, and he is loving and kind and still wishes to teach mankind the same sorts of lessons he wanted mankind to learn anciently, then he will communicate to mankind nowadays. If the atheist position is correct and there is no God, then the athiest doctrine that "God" does not speak is correct, but instead, that Christians are left to read a “morally uplifting” text, rather than receiving “spiritual enlightenment which can only be given by God.”

However, your theory as a Christian theist, that visions and angels from God would not enlighten us is unusual since, as you read the bible, you will see that both visions and angels obviously have been a mechanism of enlightenment throughout Judeo-Christian textual history and In all historical textual witnesses.

Still, I am glad that you have made progress from no revelation nor faith in revelation to being able to claim that you have had revelation given you of God. Any progress in understanding this principle is good.

I also appreciate your advice concerning being careful about dreams and revelation since not all dreams come from God. The advice seems a bit unusual coming from someone who admits to little knowledge of and admits they have absolutely no experience in such things that occur in authentic christian theology, still, I appreciate the thought and will be careful.

If you ever develop enough faith to develop this sort of intimate relationship with God, you will see that discernment of revelation becomes easier when you start to have faith to experience it.

3) Pegg said : “Unfortunately, many denominations use writings not based on the bible and the LDS is one of them.”

Mestimia said : “Is this why the Jehovah Witnesses made their own version of the Bible?“

While I respect the Jehovahs’ Witnesses, I do admit it seems hypocritical to make such a statement made when the Jehovah’s Witnesses themselves have made changes TO the bible that are meant to create inaccuracies that are not based on ANY biblical texts. This is what I meant in post #89 regarding mechanisms of apostasy :
Clear said:
[FONT=&quot]The changing of scripture to conform to a personal belief without prophetic license [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
In the midst of a discussion about this singular doctrine of creating and adopting a given name for “God”, there are other points that indicate evolution away from original religion.

For example, though I believe Pegg is correct that there are some contaminations in all Judeo-Christian religious texts, including biblical texts, she then introduces and contributes to these contaminations by using intentional biblical changes created by her own Christian movement.

As example of the types of intentional changes to biblical text (there have been several) is Peggs quote of Romans 10:11 in post # 40.

Pegg
tells us “ For the scripture says: “No one who rests his faith on him will be disappointed.” ...13 For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” Post # 40

But this is NOT what Romans 10:13 says in ANY known Greek manuscript in any GNT-4, or NA, or translators critical texts. And, there are no known greek variants that read according to Peggs quote. And there are no known early correctors or scribes that used Peggs reading.

For greek readers, ALL known greek codices, all papyri, all lectionaries that have been catalogued (so far) read : “ Πας γαρ ος αν επικαλεσηται το ονομα κυριοθ σωθησεται ” for this text in Ro 10:13. There is no tetragrammaton, no “Jehovah” in this text.

The point is, that to introduce false and inaccurate text to unsuspecting (though some of you probably see the changes in her quotes), is another way that theology evolves away from original texts and original understanding and original interpretation and thus, such changes contribute to doctrinal evolution and apostasy and schism away from early texts and early meanings, toward different texts having different meanings.

As an aside point, it is profoundly ironic to have one warn us that early Christian texts and hymns and diaries might be contaminated with foreign elements and then to offer a contaminated modern Christian text that is contaminated and corrupted to introduce a modern theology. Even LDS changes of text would be excusable only upon the principle that they occurred through the virtue of prophetic revelation. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I do understand the Witnesses desire to promulgate their theory that the symbol of the tetragram, or the word Yaweh, or the word Jehovah was the original given name of God in the original language. However, it feels strange to have them both warn against using non-biblical texts while themselves creating non-biblical and inaccurate changes to the very text they claim is sacred.[/FONT]

4) Romans 10:13 as a model of changes made in biblical text by Jehovah's Witnesses to support their theology

[FONT=&quot]Pegg[/FONT][FONT=&quot] : While it is obvious that the Jehovah’s Witnesses have changed multiple biblical textual references to force the text to support J. Witness theories, can you explain how the J.Witnesses justify making an inaccurate change specifically to Romans 10:13 (as an example) when no authentic Greek codex in existence reads the error the Jehovah’s Witnesses have purposefully introduced to this specific text. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]No Greek Codex in existence supports the change, no existing papyi supports it, no existing lectionary quote supports it, not even changes made by correctors of codices c[FONT=&quot]an [/FONT]support or ju[FONT=&quot]stif[FONT=&quot]y[/FONT][/FONT] the introduction of such an error into the biblical text. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I can certainly support “restoring” corrupted or damaged text back to the original reading. But in this case the J. Witnesses are not restoring a text, but are intro[FONT=&quot]ducing error into a text.[/FONT] In this instance, they are adding to and actually corrupting biblical text in order to create an support for their theological theory. This is one of the mechanisms of theology that you are I both agree is causing harm to Christian theology. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]thank you in advance for the information on this example verse Pegg
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Clear
[FONT=&quot]ει[FONT=&quot]φιτωτζω[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Pegg now feels “ “I also have experienced spriitual enlightenment which can only be given by God. “

I am glad you are now able to claim that that you have received revelation from God.

Our ideas of 'revelation' are very different. You see vision and hear voices, i read the bible through the correct source and Gods spirit opens my eyes of understanding.

Very different.

If there is a God, as Christianity claims, and he is loving and kind and still wishes to teach mankind the same sorts of lessons he wanted mankind to learn anciently, then he will communicate to mankind nowadays. If the atheist position is correct and there is no God, then the athiest doctrine that "God" does not speak is correct, but instead, that Christians are left to read a “morally uplifting” text, rather than receiving “spiritual enlightenment which can only be given by God.”

However, your theory as a Christian theist, that visions and angels from God would not enlighten us is unusual since, as you read the bible, you will see that both visions and angels obviously have been a mechanism of enlightenment throughout Judeo-Christian textual history and In all historical textual witnesses.

Im not sure I follow you... it seems to me that you are twisting everything i've said.

The bible is Gods communication to mankind. It was breathed by holy spirit and when people put it aside in favor of alternate texts then I dont think i can take anything they say seriously. Sorry.

If you ever develop enough faith to develop this sort of intimate relationship with God, you will see that discernment of revelation becomes easier when you start to have faith to experience it.

And i would say the same...when you start putting faith in Gods Word the bible, you will understand things from the spirit of truth and when you do you wont need to see visions or hear voices.

3) Pegg said : “Unfortunately, many denominations use writings not based on the bible and the LDS is one of them.”

While I respect the Jehovahs’ Witnesses, I do admit it seems hypocritical to make such a statement made when the Jehovah’s Witnesses themselves have made changes TO the bible that are meant to create inaccuracies that are not based on ANY biblical texts. This is what I meant in post #89 regarding mechanisms of apostasy :
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I do understand the Witnesses desire to promulgate their theory that the symbol of the tetragram, or the word Yaweh, or the word Jehovah was the original given name of God in the original language. However, it feels strange to have them both warn against using non-biblical texts while themselves creating non-biblical and inaccurate changes to the very text they claim is sacred.[/FONT]

The tetragrammaton is not a symbol. It is THE name of God. It is odd to me that a church who claims to be the reestablishment of true christianity wouldnt recognise it as a proper name, but there you go.

4) Romans 10:13 as a model of changes made in biblical text by Jehovah's Witnesses to support their theology

[FONT=&quot]Pegg[/FONT][FONT=&quot] : While it is obvious that the Jehovah’s Witnesses have changed multiple biblical textual references to force the text to support J. Witness theories, can you explain how the J.Witnesses justify making an inaccurate change specifically to Romans 10:13 (as an example) when no authentic Greek codex in existence reads the error the Jehovah’s Witnesses have purposefully introduced to this specific text. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]No Greek Codex in existence supports the change, no existing papyi supports it, no existing lectionary quote supports it, not even changes made by correctors of codices c[FONT=&quot]an [/FONT]support or ju[FONT=&quot]stif[FONT=&quot]y[/FONT][/FONT] the introduction of such an error into the biblical text. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Have you ever read the Hebrew scriptures where Romans 10:13 is quoting from ? If not, maybe you should. Because in that verse from Joel, the tetragrammaton ( Gods name ) is in the verse. Do you really believe that when the Apostle Paul read from that scripture, he would have avoided using Gods name where he read it? I dont.

There is good reason for putting Gods name in where it is located in the original text dont you think? But then again, if you dont believe the tetragrammaton is actually Gods name, i can understand why you think its strange to put it in.

But honestly, it is there in the original hebrew. And the real important thing you should consider about that verse is the importance of recognising Gods name and calling on it in faith.

And just so you know, our bible translation is not the only one to restore the Divine Name in Romans 10:13.... you will also find it in Hutter’s Hebrew, Greek, Latin, and German Bible, The Rotuman Bible and the Batak-Toba Bible

Its a matter of upholding the Divine name as sacred and honouring it the way Jesus said we should in the Our Father prayer.... "Hallowed by thy Name" Its very sad that so many people have relegated Gods Name to the annals of history and so willingly removed it from Gods own Word. That is not honouring his Name...its desecrating it and treating it as 'worthless' which is what the Mosaic law says we should never do.

I've enjoyed our discussion and look forward to more in the future. :)

Last edited:

Clear

Premium Member
Hi Pegg

Regarding the four symbols in the the tetragrammaton being the actual original name of God.

Remember that Hebrew was not the original written language of the Jews. Before Hebrew, they wrote in paleo-Hebrew, and before that they wrote in a dialect of Canaan (from which the they adopted a form that became Hebrew) and, at some point, we cannot go back to see what their writings looked like since such things are lost to written history. However, we can tell that the Hebrew written culture as it exists in the Canaanite written environment was, even for Hebrews, a different milieu.

Remember also that the Masoretic/ Hebrew bible you are referring to is not the original biblical text. It is a translation of version of a translation of a translation as Israel moves from one language and era to another language and era and thus the versions of historical events we read in it are not original.

For example, your modern version of the Book of Kings tells us that the Priest Hilkiah found a Torah and presented it to the King, who then read it to the people. The Jewish Talmud explains this event in greater detail. The Jewish Talmud tells us that the Priest Hilkiah actually found three Torah’s in the temple, but the all three had different readings and they did not know which was the correct one to use (if any of them was..) They used a rule of majority and made a forth version based on agreements and disagreements between the texts. This forth version is the one the your Old Testament mentions in the story in the book of Kings, but the current biblical text does not tell us what the others said, nor do we know if one or more of them were more correct (or less correct) than the version produced by this process.

My point is that the Hebrew text has already undergone corruption and evolution into different versions even by this early age. Wiston reminds us that Josephus used yet another version of the Torah taken from the temple in 70 a.d. as a source for his histories of the Jews. His version was obviously different than modern texts. There were multiple versions anciently which, by the most popular theory, become coalesced into the post exilic versions. The Jews came out of exile in babylon speaking Aramaic and the versions written in Aramaic are, obviously, different still (since some of these have been found). Also, the version of the Old Testament made to Greek speaking Jews in 300 b.c. is is valuable since, in translating into another language, one must first, interpret what is MEANT by a passage, before it can be translated.

We know there is much that is missing and cannot be understood in the biblical text without reference to other ancient texts. For example, Moses’ first marriage to the Ethiopian woman makes him look hypocritical (since he creates a rule that prohibits marriage to non-israelites – a rule his own marriage to the Ethiopian woman disobeys….) However, if one looks at the actual history of Moses marriage to tharbis (the ethiopian woman), then it makes sense and Moses is elevated in moral status instead of a being hypocrite that the current text describes.

The Old Testament Prophets chastised ancient israel for their worship of other Gods such as Baal, Asherah and others because they were worshipping these God’s alongside Yahweh, the God of Israel. The Ugaritic texts make clear that in the early Canaanite environment, the people worshipped these other God, such as El Shaddai, El Elyon, and El Berith. All of these names are also applied to Yahweh by Old Testament writers. One main current theory is that the Hebrew theologians adopted these titles and then attributed them to Yahweh in an effort to transfer the honor to Yahweh (and thus stamp out the worship of these other Gods). There were other Gods besides these as well, such as Yam and Mot (the Canaanite Gods of the sea and death – respectively). The fact that Yam and Mot became the Hebrew words for sea and Death reflects this connection as well as the origin of the Hebrew words from prior cultures and prior Hebrew theology.

Also, from early texts such as the Elephantine Papyri, we realize that Yahwists worshipped Asherah until 300 b.c. Thus, for many in Israel, Yahweh (like Baal), still had a consort by that time period (though this consort is dropped in later Judaic theology in the main). KTU indicates that in early texts, Yahweh was another son of EL (KTY 1.1 IV 14). Thus, in the Canaanite environment Israel finds itself in early history, Jahweh is one of the sons of El and it is only later that Jahweh takes the place of El as their main God of worship.

The four symbols making up the tetragram has become the symbol for “Yahweh” (an English word), which is another world symbol for “Jehovah” (another English word) and I think it is perfectly fine if you and I both use it to symbolize “God”, but even in this shared meaning of this symbol, we do not share all meanings and characteristics and historical nuances that we both will apply to this word “Jehovah”.

I think that this obsession with a single symbol is creating a motivation for the Jehovah’s Witnesses to introduce it into sacred texts where it never existed and thus, create contaminations to a sacred text in order to support their theology. This is part of the mechanism for doctrinal evolution and apostasy away from original text and original theology.

Pegg, I appreciate having these conversations with you since I honestly know so very little about modern Christian theories and the Jehovah’s Witness theology specifically, since my interest is in the earliest Christian theology. I apologize if my prior post seemed snotty or inappropriate.

I’m leaving this hotel and will come back tonight and discuss another issue or two as I have time.

Clear
ειφισεσεω

Last edited:

Clear

Premium Member
Hi Pegg and LDS and others :

I have just a bit of time to write a short note before checking out of this hotel.

1) Regarding the object upon which our faith rests
Pegg indicates that if I put my faith “in the bible”, I will then not need revelation. This is another contamination of authentic religion (which ALWAYS included revelation from God as it’s defining characteristic). Individuals will always need to place their faith in GOD as our primary object of faith instead of allowing our faith to become deflected to another object or doctrine. To place faith in the symbol of God’s name is different than placing faith on God himself (regardless of what his given name actually is…)

2) Regarding not needing revelation if we read the bible :

Similarly, the theory of faith in a text (the bible) as a replacement for communication from a living God is another form of doctrinal evolution and apostasy since the a written version of what God told another person in a prior age cannot accomplish the same actions of guidance nor can a text take the place of current loving guidance from a living God. The object of our faith must always remain God.

Texts may be corrupted and mis-understood and misused to mean what the specific movement wants them to mean. God cannot be corrupted in this way and God’s base characteristics of guidance remains trustable in all aspects; and authentic guidance to an individual is superior to reading about guidance to another person and attempting to interpolate.

While the bible can tell us what God told others of another age, this cannot provide detailed guidance for our own lives nor can revelations given to others replace the experience of personal guidance.

For example, I was visiting a large city and phoned a friend from youth and I felt inspired to discuss religion with him. I wrote down his number and address when on the phone with him, but when I arrived to the area where he lived, I found I had lost the address on the way to his house. I knew area he lived in and I knew the car he drove and thought to simply drive up and down streets hoping he left his car outside the garage so I could recognize his house.

When I arrived at the area it was perhaps a half of a mile square. I did not think it was wise or possible to simply drive up and down streets. I asked God to help me find this person and felt impressed by revelation to stop at specific home. I thought perhaps it was my friend “Douglas’” home since the impression was strong. It was not Dougs' home. However, the man knew Doug well and gave me his correct address which was still, a ways away. When I arrived at Doug’s house and told him what had happened Doug immediately became wide-eyed and and speechless, and told me I had to have been inspired by God since that man was the only friend he had within a mile.

The manner of finding his house had made such an impression on Douglas, that Coug was incredibly inclined to listen to my witness regarding God, whereas before, he had not been so willing. It felt like it was a “sign” Doug that there had to have been divine involvement, and thus, in his logic, God wanted him to listen to my witness. Again, such things can be coincident, but not when they happen with irreproduceable regularity. I think God knew what sort of “sign” Douglas needed as a calling card and, to do the work of witnessing, such experiences increase the efficiency of spreading the knowledge of an faith in God and his work and in his purposes.

Simply reading the bible cannot tell us such specifics as addresses and, listening to such guiding revelations may be the very experiences which form either initial faith, or the later mature and unshakable faith in God and his love and personal care for individuals.

For example :
Firstly, my son used to love to take cars and modify them to be fast (what American boy doesn’t?) His car of choice became Honda Civics. He’s often placed turbochargers in them and "hopped them up" for more horsepower and speed as a hobby (He now has a professional license as a racer and still races).

Secondly, he had a lot of parts in my garage and, since he lived elsewhere, I asked him to clean his things out of my garage. He did so but left a used, junky, Honda civic steering wheel in my Garage. He just felt impressed to clean everything else out but the steering wheel. This is the context of the experience.

So, He was visiting a friend when a Honda civic car he was driving was stolen. It was gone for a couple of weeks and he had simply taken a different car to work, having little hope of finding the car intact after this much time. One morning, he felt impressed to take the stolen cars key to work with him. Later in the day the police department phoned him saying they found his car and had called a tow truck for the car. He asked if he could simply come get the car (and avoid tow and storage charges since he was poor). They explained that the thieves left the car intact, but for some reason, had stolen the steering wheel and the tow truck would arrive within 30 minutes. So he called me to bring the steering wheel from the shed, and met me at the car with his key, the steering wheel (with bolts) and left, driving the car home.

Thus, it is often only in hind sight that one can make sense of such impressions and occasionally one may not get to know why an impression occurred or what the result might have been if one had not followed it. Sometimes one can know immediately why a revelation and impression came.

For example :
I had bought a home and was fixing it, placing standing shelves in a basement room. I’d been hammering nails for much of the day and into the evening. I had started a nail and felt a revelation as an impression to put on a pair of safety glasses. I found a pair, put them on and started to hammer. On the first strike, the nail shot sideway and ricocheted off an upright board and struck my safety glasses just in front of my left eye cornea. In fact the mark on the glasses was dead center when I looked at the nails trajectory. I had hit the nail so hard and it was hit the glasses so hard that I immediately had the impression I might have lost or irreparably damaged my eye if I had not placed the glasses on which I had not worn all day. Again, such things can be coincidental, but at some point the repeated experience of receiving such impressions itself becomes an type of experience that is of a recognizable character and feeling. One simply comes to "feel" the difference between inspiration from God and a simple "good idea".

The bible cannot tell you how to find a specific person who’s address you do not have, nor can a bible tell you to take a key to work or keep an old steering wheel. A bible cannot tell you when to put on safety glasses for your benefit. Ongoing, and living revelation is required for these specific experiences, and importantly, these experiences are part of what create increased specific faith in God that he loves the individual and is interested in details of our lives.

I have to stop here and check out of my hotel.

I wanted to discuss some impressions and points regarding the J.W. New world translation. I saw a book store and bought one and looked through it a bit. Will get back to you LATE tonight since I’m traveling to another city today.

Clear
ειφινεφυω

Last edited:

Clear

Premium Member
To the LDS and Pegg

I have already pointed out that one mechanism of doctrinal evolution and apostasy involves introducing inaccuracies into the Biblical text to support a specific theology is a specific example of textual corruption.

Removing “θεος” (“God”) from the original Romans 10:13 and putting “Jehovah” in its place is a corruption of sacred text since no text indicates Paul said “Jehovah” . The Jehovahs witnesses who changed this text may simply have assumed that Paul should have said “Jehovah” when in actual fact, if the extant texts making up ALL greek manuscripts so far discovered, indicate Paul did NOT say “Jehovah”. Individuals who then read the New World translation as their introductory text may never realize the error in the theology of their text.

There may well have been a reason that Paul used “θεος” (“God”) instead of Jehovah, especially if he was NOT referring to Jehovah. For example, I explained early historical context in post # 135 :

Clear said:
The Old Testament Prophets chastised ancient israel for their worship of other Gods such as Baal, Asherah and others because they were worshipping these God’s alongside Yahweh, the God of Israel. The Ugaritic texts make clear that in the early Canaanite environment, the people worshipped these other God, such as El Shaddai, El Elyon, and El Berith. All of these names are also applied to Yahweh by Old Testament writers. One main current theory is that the Hebrew theologians adopted these titles and then attributed them to Yahweh in an effort to transfer the honor to Yahweh (and thus stamp out the worship of these other Gods). There were other Gods besides these as well, such as Yam and Mot (the Canaanite Gods of the sea and death – respectively). The fact that Yam and Mot became the Hebrew words for sea and Death reflects this connection as well as the origin of the Hebrew words from prior cultures and prior Hebrew theology.

Also, from early texts such as the Elephantine Papyri, we realize that Yahwists worshipped Asherah until 300 b.c. Thus, for many in Israel, Yahweh (like Baal), still had a consort by that time period (though this consort is dropped in later Judaic theology in the main). KTU indicates that in early texts, Yahweh was another son of EL (KTY 1.1 IV 14). Thus, in the Canaanite environment Israel finds itself in early history, Jahweh is one of the sons of El and it is only later that Jahweh takes the place of El as their main God of worship.

Such a context has reference to the early Christian theology.

For example : Even the Jehovahs’ Witness bible relates Jesus saying upon the Cross, “…E’li, E’li, la’ma sa-bach-tha-ni?” which means, ‘My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Mk 15:34 & mtt 27:46).

If “El” (ελωι or ηλι in greek ms) is the “God” Jesus himself worshipped and honored and, who Jesus himself referred to as his “Father”, then this is an indication that Jesus held a different theological model than the strict Jahwists and worshipped/honored “El” in one of its written forms.

This early tradition is also much more consistent with the early Christian traditions than the modern Jehovahs’ witness theory and use of the symbol for ALL uses of the term God as "Jehovah".

Just as Jesus used “El” as the term for “God” or even as a “given name” for God, there are reasons for Paul NOT using “Jehovah” to refer to this same God Jesus is referring to. You cannot simply change historical terms without corrupting the text and corrupting the history. If Paul used the term “θεος” or “God”, instead of “Jehovah”, then one should leaves Pauls words alone.

Regarding the Jehovahs’ Witnesses "New World" translation of a Bible

Obviously, as I have pointed out, there are corruptions and errors in this text. There are some poorly translated passages upon reading and comparing to Greek. However, there are some very fine things about the text that represent (to me), a willingness to take some theological criticism to correct some known errors to the text as well.

I am proud of the NW translators for removing the Johannine comma.

I think they were hedging toward a full correction of the woman caught in adultery. They were brave enough not to shirk at making some difficult corrections. For examples :

1) John 1:1 – The NWT reads : “ 1 In the beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was A god.” 2 This one was in the beginning with God. “

The indication that the word was “a god” (little “g”) is actually the correct Greek translation, but is usually rendered differently to correspond to popular theology and not for grammatical reasons. “This one” is a clumsy and somewhat incorrect rendering of “The same” (ουτος). However, it may have been that they were trying to emphasis an accurate theological point by doing so.

2) John 1:18 – the NWT reads : “18 “No man has seen God at any time; the only-begotten god who is in the bosom position with the Father is the one that has explained him

While the NW translators were brave enough to use a correct translation of referring to “the only-begotten god” (little “g”), the rest of the translation is clumsy. What greek translator translates “κολπον” as bosom “position”??..really…) However, it does make the correct point.

3) John 14:2 – the NWT reads : “ In the house of my Father are many abodes.” -

While this is an improvement over the KJV, “μοναι” is, contextually, better rendered “rooms” (as in NA-27). Even “stations” or “positions” are better than “abodes”. Still, the rendering is not incorrect, it is simply a clumsy “dictionary” type of rendering.

4) John 18:1 is rendered : “…Jesus went out with his disciples across the winter torrent of Kidron…”. While to most readers this sounds strange, it is a technically correct rendering. One doesn’t know if the Kidron river was simply “swollen” or an actual “torrent”, but I think even such small moves toward technical correctness is good.

My point is that from a very, very superficial look at the bible the Jehovahs Witnesses have created, I have criticized the very obvious corruptions and errors they have intentionally created to support a central theological theory; still, there are some obvious signs of correcting some know errors which took some courage to make. For example, how many modern theologies would react kindly to john 1:18 reading “the only-begotten god”? or can handle the Word being “a god” in Jn 1:1?.

By the same token, the Jehovah's Witnesses may have similar problems dealing with the concept of Jesus referring to his God by the name/symbol/title "El", who, according to the ancient millieu they came from, had a son "Jahweh". Such historical themes are often much clearer and consistent when left inside their original ancient historical context than trying to shoe-horn them into the modern contexts we have all inherited.

To the LDS : Obviously the ancient nuances of Jesus referring to God as "El", or "Elyon" or "Elohim" or "E'li", or "Eloi" or other versions of this make perfect sense and have distinct parallels in LDS theology. It is the theological models of restorative theology that makes best sense of what these things meant to the ancient christians or to a movement which is adopting ancient principles.

Clear
ειφυεισιω

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Hi Pegg and LDS and others :

I have just a bit of time to write a short note before checking out of this hotel.

1) Regarding the object upon which our faith rests
Pegg indicates that if I put my faith “in the bible”, I will then not need revelation. This is another contamination of authentic religion (which ALWAYS included revelation from God as it’s defining characteristic). Individuals will always need to place their faith in GOD as our primary object of faith instead of allowing our faith to become deflected to another object or doctrine. To place faith in the symbol of God’s name is different than placing faith on God himself (regardless of what his given name actually is…)

Gods message to us is in the bible. If we can't put our faith in what we read in the bible, then how can we really say we are putting faith in God?

If i write you a letter, do you put it aside as if it is not really from me??

Thats what people have done with the bible. They dont have faith that it is really from God and therefore they put it aside in favor of things that tickle their ears.

2) Regarding not needing revelation if we read the bible :

Similarly, the theory of faith in a text (the bible) as a replacement for communication from a living God is another form of doctrinal evolution and apostasy since the a written version of what God told another person in a prior age cannot accomplish the same actions of guidance nor can a text take the place of current loving guidance from a living God. The object of our faith must always remain God.

The bible IS guidance and revelation from God. Even Jesus stated it... "Your Word is Truth" was his clear and simple statement about the inspired scriptures.

The bible provides the revelation needed to comprehend God and his purposes.

Recently i received an invitation to an 'another' Church festival... they said there would be lots of yummy food for us to eat and lots of fun things for the kids. Then i looked at the invitation to one of our festivals in my own hand which we are currently giving out to the public and it spoke of Christ as the king of Gods kingdom and why he is qualified to rule mankind and how we can seek first Gods kingdom.

Please tell me why so many churches have forgotten their purpose? To where have they relegated Gods Kingdom? To a back shelf with dust in a dark room...thats where they relegate the Kingdom of God. Why? Because they dont read Gods Word and comprehend the nearness of Jehovahs day. They are asleep spiritually while the Watchtower remains awake and alert to the nearness of the reality of the Kingdom.

Thats revelation...and we get it from reading Gods Word and applying it.

While the bible can tell us what God told others of another age, this cannot provide detailed guidance for our own lives nor can revelations given to others replace the experience of personal guidance.

Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my foot,
And a light for my path

Psalm 43:3 Send out your light and your truth. May these lead me; May they guide me to your holy mountain and to your grand tabernacle.

Proverbs 6:23 For the commandment is a lamp, And the law is a light, And the reproofs of discipline are the way to life.

Isaiah 51:4 Pay attention to me, O my people, And give ear to me, my nation. For a law will go out from me, And my justice I will establish as a light to the peoples.

Gods Word holds the key to salvation and is the only source of education which comes directly from God himself. It's really sad to hear someone say they dont think its relevant.

I wanted to discuss some impressions and points regarding the J.W. New world translation. I saw a book store and bought one and looked through it a bit. Will get back to you LATE tonight since I’m traveling to another city today.

Clear
ειφινεφυω

They shouldnt' be in book stores for sale.... we give them away for free.

Clear

Premium Member
I only have a couple of minutes. Am back at the current hotel and wanted to check in with a comment.

Hi Pegg

You and I are in agreement that Christians must be able to also place faith in scriptures as well as God as a source of historical, written revelation and that written revelation is profoundly important (especially since that is how most of us initially are introduced to the majority of our principles concerning what God is like and his purposes).

However, since individuals need to be able to put faith in the biblical text, this is one of the reasons why the introduction of corruption and error into the text is so wrong, especially if the motive is simply to support ones own doctrine.

Thank you so very much for the discussion Pegg - also, I was at a used book store when I bought a NWT bible. I use them since new book stores often do not have the type of historical books I keep an eye out for.

To the LDS :

I hope this discussion with Pegg has illuminated the principles of evolution of Christian doctrine and both schism and apostasy of doctrines that Pegg and I both agreed occurred. Also, it is interesting to consider a very limited comparison to the modern Jehovah’s Witness movement and their theories and doctrines with early Judeo-Christian traditions and their doctrines.

A comparison of the principles of a Christianity which is accompanied by gifts of the spirit and on-going revelation from a living God to a Christianity to a Christian movement that is not accompanied by the same gifts nor by personal revelation has been, for me, enlightening. As a convert to LDS base theology, I remember coming from a Christian movement that was similar to Peggs in that it had no faith to have personal revelation other than what I could read from the biblical text. I hope you can imagine what it would be like, not to have revelations and guidance on an on-going basis and that personal relationship that comes from such experiences. And, having imagined this, I hope it increases your gratitude to God for the wonderful blessings you are given.

I also hope the references to Israels literature to Canaaitish literature and religious milieu (specifically Ugarit) made sense in it’s relationship to Israels literature (some of which became the Old testament).

Clear
ειφυσενεω

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I only have a couple of minutes. Am back at the current hotel and wanted to check in with a comment.

Hi Pegg

However, since individuals need to be able to put faith in the biblical text, this is one of the reasons why the introduction of corruption and error into the text is so wrong, especially if the motive is simply to support ones own doctrine.

Well i agree with you there, it is unforgivable to deliberately remove the authors name from the bible and from all the locations where that name is found in the original texts ( and that includes the quote we find at Romans 10:13 which is quoting from the Hebrew scriptures book of Joel )

You dont seem to believe that this actually happened even though you believe an apostasy occurred. So that confuses me somewhat.

This video explains it very well What Is God

And thank you for the discussion. Hope we can do it again some time :)