• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does science support Atheism, positively?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Science doesn't speak to atheism because it isn't at all amenable to the scientific method.
Of course, this doesn't prevent science from providing explanations which enable disbelief.

Science is a tool for exploring in the physical and material; could be used by the Theists and the Atheists alike. It is not concerned with the belief of the user.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Science is a tool for exploring in the physical and material; could be used by the Theists and the Atheists alike. It is not concerned with the belief of the user.

Unless your beliefs serve an an unqualified assumption in the research process.

See "Quranic science" for examples.

Gordian Knot

Being Deviant IS My Art.
In my opinion, science neither supports or denies atheism. Atheism is a disbelief in the existence of supernatural beings. Or, the more politically correct definition now, it is a belief there is no evidence for supernatural beings. Whatever. Science does not support atheism. Nor does it deny atheism.

The only real correlation I believe can be made is that a far larger percentage of scientists are atheists as compared to the percentage of other groups.

factseeker88

factseeker88
Science supports atheism because it answers some questions formerly in the realm of religion.
But in no way does it prove atheism.

No way to prove religion either ...

As for science supporting religion, I doubt it. One is belief and the other substance.

“What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO.” John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

In my opinion, Science doesn’t support Atheism and doesn’t support God also. Therefore, Science and religion are converging and God will common sense to the both in the future.
William Marques
:)

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Science does support atheism. Atheism is the absence of belief in theistic gods, or if you'd rather, the assumption that such gods don't exist. Everything we know from science shows us a universe where gods are unnecessary and unlikely. It does not disprove a theistic god, but it does support the nonexistence of one.

In science you start with a hypothesis, and then test it to see whether it holds up. If it doesn't hold up, you either discard it or tweak it and then retest. If it really isn't supported at all, you, for all intents and purposes, assume it's not the case. For instance, you could have the hypothesis "People with more than 10 toes are faster than the average human". You could then test it by timing people with more than 10 toes and comparing to the average human. If tests didn't result in support for the hypothesis, it would be dismissed and assuming not to be true.

With God, of course, we can't test the general hypothesis "God exists". We'd have to narrow it down. Atheists generally really only fully dismiss theistic gods, which have certain traits we can actually test. Once we test them and find no evidence to support them, we can safely assume the claims about that god, and therefore its existence, aren't true, even if we can't rule it out with 100% certainty.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If yes; does any text book of science or any peer reviewed Journal of science mention it for its claims and reasons?

It's not so much that science supports atheism as much as God is irrelevant to science. As Laplace said when asked by Napoleon why his book didn't make reference to God, "I had no need for that hypothesis."

Call_of_the_Wild

If yes; does any text book of science or any peer reviewed Journal of science mention it for its claims and reasons?

Huh? Science doesn't even support naturalism positively, and naturalism is the view that nature is all there is in reality, and that in itself cannot be scientifically proven. So the answer is......NO

DeepShadow

White Crow
There have been many scientific studies that inform upon theological/religious questions, but none that can prove a theistic or atheistic worldview.

For example:
Attributions of free will
"God" as an extension of social sense
Measuring the power of forgiveness
Autism/low ToM may lead to a diminished sense of God

While any of the above may change how we see religious belief, this is different from proving or disproving the basic CLAIMS of religion, such as the existence of a deity. Of course, the existence of a deity may actually be incidental to the benefits of a religion, as some of the above show (one of the reasons I'll never be an atheist, even if I lost my testimony).

Religion and science work in different orbits or spheres; one does not collide with other if correctly understood.

I agree. They are non-overlapping magisteria.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
There have been many scientific studies that inform upon theological/religious questions, but none that can prove a theistic or atheistic worldview.

For example:
Attributions of free will
"God" as an extension of social sense
Measuring the power of forgiveness
Autism/low ToM may lead to a diminished sense of God

While any of the above may change how we see religious belief, this is different from proving or disproving the basic CLAIMS of religion, such as the existence of a deity. Of course, the existence of a deity may actually be incidental to the benefits of a religion, as some of the above show (one of the reasons I'll never be an atheist, even if I lost my testimony).

I agree. They are non-overlapping magisteria.

I appreciate your response.

Regards

idav

Being
Premium Member
What trouble ?

Regards

Think what happens anytime humans get too much knowledge and power, when we get too big for our own britches. Science being able to confirm the source of creation is a scary thought.

Oppenheimer was dead on when quoting the Gita "Now, I am become death, destroyer of worlds." And that's just from figuring out a freaking atom.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Think what happens anytime humans get too much knowledge and power, when we get too big for our own britches. Science being able to confirm the source of creation is a scary thought.
Oppenheimer was dead on when quoting the Gita "Now, I am become death, destroyer of worlds." And that's just from figuring out a freaking atom.
Please paraphrase your viewpoint. It is not clear to men.
Regards