• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does science prove the existence of god?

moorea944

i was just making a point on one of the fullfilled prophecies that were IN the bible, not out. but i understand your point. but there were a few OT prophets that foretold the coming messiah, and how he would ride into town. but that's just one. i didnt want to really get into those because it was a OT to a NT one. ...................

you also mentioned that you do have respect for the religion of christians, i take it that you dont believe in God??? what do you believe in if you dont mind me asking........

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Reasons
for considering the Bible

The

Bible itself says it is from God, mankind’s Creator

2 Tim. 3:16, 17: "All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work."
Rev. 1:1: "A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him, to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place."
2 Sam. 23:1, 2: "The utterance of David the son of Jesse . . . The spirit of Jehovah it was that spoke by me, and his word was upon my tongue."
Isa. 22:15: "This is what the Sovereign Lord, Jehovah of armies, has said."

I see. So, the Bible says it's from God, therefore it must be from God. That makes sense. So, if I write a book and claim that I am God, it must be true because it's written in that book, right? Or is it just the Bible that we assume to be true based on nothing at all?

We would expect God’s message to all mankind to be available around the globe. The Bible, the whole or in part, has been translated into some 1,800 languages. Its circulation totals in the billions. Says The World Book Encyclopedia: "The Bible is the most widely read book in history. It is probably also the most influential. More copies have been distributed of the Bible than of any other book. It has also been translated more times into more languages than any other book."Watchtower.org

So, the fact that it has been translated and read by so many people is evidence that it's true? There are many books that have been translated and read around the world. Also, you I would expect God's message to have been distributed to the entire world longer than a few centuries ago. It wasn't until the colonization of other continents in the 15th century and later that the Bible really made it's way to more than just Europe. Why did it take so long for "God's word" to make it to the rest of the world? You say, we would expect God's message to all mankind to be available around the globe. I say we should expect God's message to all mankind to have been available to all mankind from the time it was delivered to us, not 1,500+ years later.

moorea944

there are many parts of the bible that have been proven in present day. so why would you not want to believe that the bible is true? just curious........ because your writtings are almost llike your angry at something. did something happen in your life that made you bitter towards the bible?? (and i mean no disrespect by asking that)

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
first of all, there are alot of bible prophecies that already came true, but from OT to NT. like one of the prophets saying that the messiah would come into town on a donkey. stuff like that.
Please cite the specific verse you think was accurate in its prophecy.[/quote]
but outside of the bible are things like...
the falling of TYRE, TYRE is an island off of Lebanon. Ezekiel explained on how Tyre would fall by other nations and how it would be total destroyed even until this day. it would be left to the fisherman casting there nets. King Nebacazzer of Babylon went in hundreds of years later and destroyed it and then Alexander the great later went in and leveled it. today the island is nothing and it's just as the bible said, fisherman casting out their nets to fish. Archeoligist today are still digging up stuff on that city that used to exist.
You mean this Tyre:

lebanon-tyre.jpg

Tyre (Arabic صور Ṣūr, Phoenician Ṣur, Hebrew צור Tzor, Tiberian Hebrew צר Ṣōr, Akkadian Ṣurru, Greek Τύρος Týros, Turkish: Sur) is a city in the South Governorate of Lebanon (not to be confused with Tyros also called Greek Τύρος on the Arcadian coast of the Eastern Peloponnese in Greece). There were approximately 117,000 inhabitants in 2003,[1] however, the government of Lebanon has released only rough estimates of population numbers since 1932, so an accurate statistical accounting is not possible.[2] Tyre juts out from the coast of the Mediterranean Sea and it is located about 80 km (50 mi) south of Beirut. The name of the city means "rock" [3]. The adjective for Tyre is Tyrian, and the inhabitants are Tyrians.
Tyre is an ancient Phoenician city and the legendary birthplace of Europa and Elissa (Dido). Today it is the fourth largest city in Lebanon [4] and houses one of the nation's major ports known locally in French as Soûr. Tyre is a popular destination for tourists. The city has many ancient sites, including its Roman Hippodrome which was added to UNESCO's list of World Heritage Sites in 1979 (Resolution 459).[5]
[wiki] So since this prophecy was clearly NOT fulfilled, in that Tyre has been continuously occupied from ancient times to the present, doesn't this in fact prove that the Bible is NOT true?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

Reasons​
for considering the Bible

The​
Bible itself says it is from God, mankind’s Creator
2 Tim. 3:16, 17: "All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work."
Rev. 1:1: "A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him, to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place."
2 Sam. 23:1, 2: "The utterance of David the son of Jesse . . . The spirit of Jehovah it was that spoke by me, and his word was upon my tongue."
Isa. 22:15: "This is what the Sovereign Lord, Jehovah of armies, has said."​
We would expect God’s message to all mankind to be available around the globe. The Bible, the whole or in part, has been translated into some 1,800 languages. Its circulation totals in the billions. Says The World Book Encyclopedia: "The Bible is the most widely read book in history. It is probably also the most influential. More copies have been distributed of the Bible than of any other book. It has also been translated more times into more languages than any other book."Watchtower.org

So you're saying that if a book claims to be from God, it is?
Please stop and think. Does that make any sense to you?
So you think a book's popularity is indication of its divine origin then?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
there are many parts of the bible that have been proven in present day.
Really? Name 5. Not that a certain city existed, but that the miraculous events described there actually happened, as for example that the sun stood still, that the earth was entirely covered in water, that the Red Sea was parted, or anything of that nature.
so why would you not want to believe that the bible is true? just curious........ because your writtings are almost llike your angry at something. did something happen in your life that made you bitter towards the bible?? (and i mean no disrespect by asking that)
It's not about what I want, it's about the truth. I don't believe or not believe things because of my desires or emotions, but because of the evidence. If you can present evidence that the Bible is true, I will believe it. Simple as that.

For starters, do you know who wrote it? And when?

moorea944

wow, tough crowd tonight........

. your last post when you said , "do you know who wrote it?" i'll take it you mean the bible? well, for one thing, alot of people wrote the bible. but as the scriptures say, the spirit of God was in them helping them write. Moses wrote the first few books. alot of the prophets wrote some too along with the Apostles. but God had a hand in all. the bible is consistant with the other books.

i'll post this website again. i know you missed it the first time............

100 Fulfilled Bible Prophecies

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
wow, tough crowd tonight........

. your last post when you said , "do you know who wrote it?" i'll take it you mean the bible? well, for one thing, alot of people wrote the bible. but as the scriptures say, the spirit of God was in them helping them write. Moses wrote the first few books. alot of the prophets wrote some too along with the Apostles. but God had a hand in all. the bible is consistant with the other books.
Really? Which ones?

So would it be correct to say that you don't know who wrote what parts of the Bible? For example, do you know who wrote the gospels? Do you know when they were written?

i'll post this website again. i know you missed it the first time............100 Fulfilled Bible Prophecies
No thanks. If you want to make an assertion, make it; it's not my job to do it for you. If you have a source to support your assertion, post it and I'll check it out.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
So moorea, if the utter permanent destruction of Tyre is evidence in favor of the Bible, is the continuous occupation and fact that it has never been destroyed then evidence against it?

moorea944

first of all, i know who wrote the bible, esp. the gospels. and the approx. dates they were written........ why would you even say that? i gave no indication that i didnt........

belever

Or is it just the Bible that we assume to be true based on nothing at all?

This statment forsing me to ask you a question-have you ever read the bible?Is it realy nothing at all?

So, the fact that it has been translated and read by so many people is evidence that it's true? There are many books that have been translated and read around the world. Also, you I would expect God's message to have been distributed to the entire world longer than a few centuries ago. It wasn't until the colonization of other continents in the 15th century and later that the Bible really made it's way to more than just Europe. Why did it take so long for "God's word" to make it to the rest of the world? You say, we would expect God's message to all mankind to be available around the globe. I say we should expect God's message to all mankind to have been available to all mankind from the time it was delivered to us, not 1,500+ years later.

[/left][/quote]Thanks for your comment on this.I understand your point.Why now,why not earlier.I'd like to take this answere from the bible.Interestingly Jesus him self sed that this will happen at some point in the future and this good news will be delivered
to the most distant part of the earth,as we can read in these verses Matt 24:14;Acts 1:8.I'm sure that most exited and important days in your mathers life is your birth,so whay did it happened exatly in that day?Because she was ready for it.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
first of all, i know who wrote the bible, esp. the gospels. and the approx. dates they were written........ why would you even say that? i gave no indication that i didnt........
Really? If so, you're the only person on earth who does. O.K., who wrote the gospels? When?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Or is it just the Bible that we assume to be true based on nothing at all?

This statment forsing me to ask you a question-have you ever read the bible?Is it realy nothing at all?

[/left]
Thanks for your comment on this.I understand your point.Why now,why not earlier.I'd like to take this answere from the bible.Interestingly Jesus him self sed that this will happen at some point in the future and this good news will be delivered
to the most distant part of the earth,as we can read in these verses Matt 24:14;Acts 1:8.I'm sure that most exited and important days in your mathers life is your birth,so whay did it happened exatly in that day?Because she was ready for it.
[/quote]

Between your quote tag problems, and citing passages from the Bible instead of just saying what you mean, you have lost me entirely. What are you trying to say here? Do you or do you not maintain that a book's popularity is evidence that it was divinely inspired?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
moorea: Isn't the fact that the Tyre prophecy turned out to be false evidence that the Bible is not only not divinely inspired, but not even true? If not, why not? (for some reason this seems to be taking you a long time to figure out. It seems pretty simple to me. If Tyre's total and permanent destruction, thereby fulfilling the prophecy, would have been evidence of the Bible's truth and inspiration, then obviously, the fact that it has never been utterly destroyed, has been continuously occupied since ancient times, and is still a thriving city and port, is, by the same token, evidence that the Bible is neither.)

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
there are many parts of the bible that have been proven in present day. so why would you not want to believe that the bible is true? just curious........ because your writtings are almost llike your angry at something. did something happen in your life that made you bitter towards the bible?? (and i mean no disrespect by asking that)

I take it this was directed at me. If not, feel free to disregard this.

The only parts of the Bible that have been "proven" are the existence of some characters and scientific, natural explanations for some miracles like the parting of the Red Sea. I'm sure parts of it are perfectly true. However, there's no reason to believe that it's inspired by God, or that what it says about God or any supernatural factors is true. In fact, some of the things that have been proven like the parting of the Red Sea point to it not being true in the "God exists and all of Christianity is right".

I'm not bitter. I just get a little tired of the same arguments over and over. If I come off harshly, I apologize. It's just that I hear these misconceptions constantly. Also, I only ever get the same naive, irrational responses as to why the Bible is true. (And, I really mean no disrespect with that. I just don't know how else to put it.)

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

Yes, I have. It's really nothing more than a good book of stories that may reveal some truths about our world, but is only meant to be myth and allegory, not to be taken literally.

Thanks for your comment on this.I understand your point.Why now,why not earlier.I'd like to take this answere from the bible.Interestingly Jesus him self sed that this will happen at some point in the future and this good news will be delivered

So, you're saying that the rest of the world wasn't ready for it yet? You're saying that the Jews were that special that only they could take God's word? Seriously?

I guess I should stop now. I know how this goes. I bring up logical, rational points, and you refute them with extreme rationalizations that don't make any sense unless you're trying your hardest to ignore reason.

danny vee

I guess I should stop now. I know how this goes. I bring up logical, rational points, and you refute them with extreme rationalizations that don't make any sense unless you're trying your hardest to ignore reason.[/quote]

Forums like this one are like traffic circles with no way out. You just keep going around, and around... Let's face it. We can't prove the Bible to be true. We can't really prove anything to be true. Who's to say that when we die we'll wake up in a different universe, where we will find out that this life was a test for us. Someone might say, "that's an absurd comparison. The chances of that happening are.." What are they? You can't prove that not to be true. We need to go on what we think is best. Does God want Himself to be proved? If He did, then wouldn't He make it easier for us? It seems kind of unfair that we can't be 100% sure of His existence, and then we'll get thrown into a pit of fire at the end for choosing not to believe. I believe. But that is my personal choice, based on what I have experienced and what I think is true personally. What I think is more important is something we know to be true. We all know that love and being good to each other are good things. WE know deep inside that if we all loved each other, the world would be a better place. If we accepted each other and loved others as ourselves. And if an atheist goes through his whole life loving others, caring, helping the poor, and sacrificing his own time so others could live better - won't God save him at the end? And yet there are Christians and Muslims who kill each other in the name of religion. Is that what God wants? Will He then reward them for their faith? Perhaps forgive them, and teach them, and maybe then reward them. But to hurt someone even though they've obeyed God's commandments without knowing they were - that's wrong. And that's my opinion. God doesn't need to be proven. If He's there He'll make sure that those who do good will learn of Him and be saved.

Truthsayer

Why is this question still being asked? In my own understanding, all creation was born of a concept. All that we consider to be "realty" was born fr someone's imagination. Matter follows thought so to speak. Before the artist can create the painting, sculpture, song, book, etc..., it must first be in his mind as an "idea". If it can be imagined, then it is possible. We put a man on the moon, remember? an "impossibility" 200 years ago, but because someone thought of it as being possible, it happened! If God absolutely did not exist, then neither would the concept of Him.
How can one be so blind as to ask the question then not believe the answer?