• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does religion dictate morality...another perspective?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
The same processes that caused us to have two arms and two legs and a head on top. Evolution and natural selection.
never heard of evolution of consciousness. so is spirituality an evolutionary process?

ArtieE

Yes... but who wired it? Maybe that is why people believe in a God or gods
People believe in gods because believing that a conscious agent such as a tiger was responsible for the rustle in the grass meant that people would run to avoid becoming dinner and survive to live another day. Unfortunately that evolutionary survival trait also lead to the belief that thunder was caused by a conscious agent called Thor, and to the belief that earthquakes was caused by a conscious agent called Poseidon etc.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Define "spirituality". Wikipedia says "There is no single, widely agreed upon definition of spirituality."

And this is why these debates will continue to go nowhere until everyone gets a grasp on ignosticism.

What a wonderful day that would be.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Unfortunately that evolutionary survival trait also lead to the belief that thunder was caused by a conscious agent called Thor, and to the belief that earthquakes was caused by a conscious agent called Poseidon etc.

And it’s not just a problem for humans.

All those poor moths flying into candles...

Made in God’s image, “dumb all over, and a little ugly on the side” - Frank Zappa

We do our best. We should stop punishing each other cos we’re bozos.

Forgive yourself, for you know not what you do.

Kenny

Premium Member
Yes... haven't you noticed that if people get hit over the head and the proper functioning of the brain is interrupted they lose consciousness?

Yes... and if they die, they also loose consciousness. So?

Kenny

Premium Member
Define "spirituality". Wikipedia says "There is no single, widely agreed upon definition of spirituality."

Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 8.50.47 AM.png

Kenny

Premium Member
People believe in gods because believing that a conscious agent such as a tiger was responsible for the rustle in the grass meant that people would run to avoid becoming dinner and survive to live another day. Unfortunately that evolutionary survival trait also lead to the belief that thunder was caused by a conscious agent called Thor, and to the belief that earthquakes was caused by a conscious agent called Poseidon etc.
So when is reality real?

JChnsc19

:)I forget the particulars but there is fMRI studies where they ask what you think of a moral issue, then they ask “what do your think your god thinks of the same issue” & the same area in the brain lights up. There have been several of these studies done, I don’t remember the details should be easy to find on Google

JChnsc19

OK guess I have a 2nd reply. It has been discovered that animals like chimps & dogs have moral metrics. If most religions teach that animals don’t have souls- who’s dictating their morals?

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
And it’s not just a problem for humans.

All those poor moths flying into candles...

Made in God’s image, “dumb all over, and a little ugly on the side” - Frank Zappa

We do our best. We should stop punishing each other cos we’re bozos.

Forgive yourself, for you know not what you do.
One of my favorite sayings is I know nothing.

Of course it is true and not true at the same time. The key to success in life is understanding which is which and being able to admit it.