• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does race exist?

dan

Our society is so concerned with how the races interact, but the interesting fact is that race does not exist. It is an entirely new concept that has no basis except for sociological classification brought on by the slavery of the last couple of centuries and the Catholic churches search for heirarchy in the human family.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Races exist... they were not "invented" in the last couple of centuries. Man has been using race as a reason for war since time immemorial.

Lintu

Race exists as a concept because people believe in it, but I believe that the idea is flawed.

Fluffy

A fool
Race is just a concept, a way of dividing sections of society into categories based on physical differences. It also works. It is more than a mere social issue though since this form of classification has impact in other areas including the differences between human beings, evolution etc. You wouldnt consider ignoring the idea of species in other animals so why decide that it doesnt apply to humans? The differences highlighted by this classification system do not lead to an obvious hierarchy as far as I can see but pretending that every human being is the same in terms of their race is ludicrous. There is a difference between accepting another person's differences and ignoring them.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Sorry but their is no genetic basis for race. :banghead3
The genetic difference between the races is so small as to be nearly nonextistant (around .01%). A tweak to a couple of genes that is almost unnoticable. different bands of Chimpanzees have a greater difference in their DNA than all the races of man have from one another. Currently their is no way to determine someones race by DNA typing, so currently thier is no real genetic definition of 'Race" Race=myth

check out: http://www.hhmi.org/cgi-bin/askascientist/highlight.pl?kw=&file=answers%2Fgenetics%2Fans_011.html
http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/Sciences/LifeScience/HumanRaces/RacesDiffer/RacesDiffer.htm
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/1999-11/AAft-Csag-031199.php

hope this helps
wa:do

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
To say race does not exist would be to ignore the adaptations of the Inuit that allows them to stick their bare hands in icy water and still be able to feel what they're doing. I whole-heartedly agree that race should never be used against anyone, but you can't pretend it doesn't exist, either.

Master Vigil

"Distinct differences in humans that reflect physical adaptations for their environment."

I am male while my mother if femal. We are distinct because I adapted to have sperm, while she has eggs. Are we different races now?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
As it turns out, scientists say, the human species is so evolutionarily young, and its migratory patterns so wide, restless and rococo, that it has simply not had a chance to divide itself into separate biological groups or "races" in any but the most superficial ways.

"Race is a social concept, not a scientific one," said Dr.

J. Craig Venter, head of the Celera Genomics Corporation in Rockville, Md. "We all evolved in the last 100,000 years from the same small number of tribes that migrated out of Africa and colonized the world." Dr. Venter and scientists at the National Institutes of Health recently announced that they had put together a draft of the entire sequence of the human genome, and the researchers had unanimously declared, there is only one race -- the human race.
I have to agree with Painted Wolf on this one. It's hard to imagine that race has much of a genetic foundation when the differences between "races" might acccount for only .01% of the total human genome.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Master Vigil said:
I am male while my mother if femal. We are distinct because I adapted to have sperm, while she has eggs. Are we different races now?
Sorry, but you stubbed your tao. You really need to rethink that one. :rolleyes:

Master Vigil

"Sorry, but you stubbed your tao. You really need to rethink that one."

DAMNIT!!!!! I tried. Sorry for my poor post in event of hurriedness.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
how many races of 'native americans' are there? Innuit adapted to the cold polar lands. The plains nations were darker skinned for more UV exposeure, the easterners were light skinned because we got to be under the trees and so on. Are we all seperate races?

we are all the same genetically.

wa:do