• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does One's Religion Determine One's Morals?

Popeyesays

How does one learn morals?

Parents, teachers, colleagues, classmates, etc..

All these methods probably have their roots in someone else's religion or lack thereof.

I would content that civilization is the combination of the culture's philosophy, law and faith. And children are indoctrinated in it as they grow.

Regards,
Scott

BruceDLimber

One would hope that religion would determine (read provide) morals, but I'm afraid that all too many individuals largely ingore or avoid moraiity whether they're religious or not!

The more the pity . . .

Bruce

Pariah

Let go
I didn't think my original post would contain such pervasive thought.
It seems fundamental that culture, either created by religion, and perpetuated without it, or culture itself is the foundational of morals.

no. it is like the term actions speak louder than words. people can claim to be a religion and do the exact opposite of what it preaches (almost everyone). religion is security for someone who has none internally. so a murderer can be christian, murder, then pray for forgiveness (the flaw with christianity)