• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does nature 'autocorrect'?

Prima

We see that nature has amazing survival methods, especially with human beings.

When the human population begins to grow threateningly large (like now) does nature 'autocorrect' to attempt to fix the problem? Do new diseases come up, or do old diseases mutate faster? Does nature create more people who are incapable of bearing children or who will not - those will defects, diseases, or those who are gay/lesbian? Does nature know what it's doing? is there a method to the madness?

No*s

Captain Obvious
Prima said:

When the human population begins to grow threateningly large (like now) does nature 'autocorrect' to attempt to fix the problem? Do new diseases come up, or do old diseases mutate faster? Does nature create more people who are incapable of bearing children or who will not - those will defects, diseases, or those who are gay/lesbian? Does nature know what it's doing? is there a method to the madness?

IMO nature is forever unbalanced (well until the Parousia), and it will always correct itself as a natural function. As a result, we will use up too many resources, conditions will get worse, water will grow more scarce, and the result of all that will be that new diseases can spread rapidly in the new enviroment, and we will have no way to stop it.

I don't know if I'd call that nature auto-balancing or human stupidity working itself out, though :(

standing_on_one_foot

Nature doesn't "try" to do anything...but yes, when a population becomes too large and can't sustain itself, it will shrink in size. It doesn't do this by creating anything new, it's just that individuals starve off or kill each other over resources, sort of thing. It'd be hard to evolve an organism that doesn't reproduce, I think, seeing as you'd have trouble passing on those genes.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
As Standing said, nature tries to do nothing.

Unless, of course, you believe in a theory that is akin to "Darwin's Radio".

No*s

Captain Obvious
I took the "try" as an anthropomorphism, and if we take it that way, it makes more sense :).

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Romans 8:19. The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. 20 For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God. 22 We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23 Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? 25 But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

It won't ever "self correct" completely. Not until it is born again as well. :D

Master Vigil

Nature is wonderful at balancing itself. Or I should say, Tao is wonderful at balancing nature and the spirits. Which is why we should look to them for guidance, their good at it. We're not.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Does nature 'autocorrect'?

I don't think so. If it did, George W. Bush would never have been born. :eek:

Pah

Uber all member
Prima said:

One adaptation is that some species become smaller when environmental resources become limited. Other species (notably reptitians and rodents) increase in size. This evolutionary process is found in "isolated" communities

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Master Vigil said:
Nature is wonderful at balancing itself. Or I should say, Tao is wonderful at balancing nature and the spirits. Which is why we should look to them for guidance, their good at it. We're not.
I must say I agree entirely with you M.V; Not Nature on it's own, but in conjunction with the spirits. I even remember my mother explaining how nature did seem to 'balance things out' in subtile ways; but I think that it is not nature on it's own.

For those who are agnostic or even atheist, I would use the physics parallel of matter can neither be created nor destroyed.:)

Natural Submission

Prima said:

Of course nature is without flaw, as it is the thought construct of God's Perfect Divine Mind. The same way a dog shakes to rid himself of fleas, so too will the earth rid itself of the wickedness that walks upon it. Repent, for the time is upon us.

M

Majikthise

Natural Submission said:
Of course nature is without flaw, as it is the thought construct of God's Perfect Divine Mind. The same way a dog shakes to rid himself of fleas, so too will the earth rid itself of the wickedness that walks upon it. Repent, for the time is upon us.
That's great!!:D Goerge Carlin said the same thing ,"The Earth doesn't need saving, if it wants to it can shake us off like a bad case of the fleas!".:biglaugh:

Master Vigil

I remember Carlin saying something like that. Like humans are worried that we are destroying the earth, but earth is ok. It has survived much longer than we have, and constantly kills us with natural disasters.

scitsofreaky

Like you have mentioned Prima, an apparent rise in homosexuality may be caused by overpopulation. Someone could argue that it is really only rising in western civilization. This isn't a bad arguement, but doesn't hold much water when you look at the fact that for the most part western civilization is really the only place that they can find any sort of acceptance, so more people are willing to "come out."

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Nature is good at balancing and adjusting to gradual change, but Natural history records periodic "catastrophes" where some major upheaval overwhelmed the intricate dance of life, resulting in biological collapse and massive extinctions. So far Nature has always "recovered", but these recoveries take tens of millions of years.

The last one occurred some 65 million years ago. The current one began perhaps 8,000 years ago and began explosively accelerating only 200 years ago with the proliferation of an infective species that feeds on every conceivable animal, vegetable and mineral recourse and breeds even beyond the limits of available recourses.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Seyorni points out that there is a vast record of nature 'autocorrecting'.

Human history also shows this to be a recurring theme. Great civilizations buid up and fall into decay. Usually this has to do with a combination of forces, but the largest linch-pin is the environment. Humans depleate thier resources, both in terms of food production, materials, workforce and so on.

Easter Islanders caused cascading environmental degridation due to thier deforistation of their home. Eventually this lead to mass starvation, canabalism and disease.
The vikings of Greenland also suffered a similer fate, deforistation made Greenland uninhabitable for thier cattle. They added to thier fate by refusing to adopt 'barbaric' native practices and refusing to violate cultural food tabboos.
The Mayans overpopulated and also deforested the rainforests. The land became barren and mass epidemics due to overcrouding and exasperated by overcrowding lead to the abandonment of the cities and the end of the 'classical' Mayan civilization.
The Missisippian culture that predated the Cherokee refused to live nomadic lives. They built great cities and grew corn ted crops. Unfortuatly corn is nutritionally poor by itself, and is hard on the environment. Corn needs to be rotated every few years or it kills the soil. The cities land grew barren and the animals of the surrounding area were hunted out. Large scale epidemics of malnutrition and disease ended this civilization.
Ironically this later repeated itself with the European colonists who refused to follow the 'barbaric' practices of the natives. They set up European style towns and relyed heavily on corn to feed themselves. Many places at that time were going through a severe drought and that only exasperated the situation. Native villages could move to find more food and water, the Europeans refused to leave thier comfortable homes and instead blamed the natives for thier trubles. Wars broke out that raged for the next few centuries.

Today overpopulation of humans and the practice of overcrowding poultry farms is breeding a new epidemic. Its only a matter of time before a new Infulenza epidemic begins thanks to Avian flu. With the advances in travel and the crowded conditons of most major cities such a viral outbreak can spread world wide in as little as a week. Incubation time for most influenzas are several days.
We also face widescale environmental degridation. Acid rain, Mbte gassoline additives, mercury in fish and water and soil, pesticides, Radon, smog and so on are just some of the things that humans face everyday.

Not to say that we can't prevent our following in our ancestors foot steps. We realize that there is a problem and that is the first step in fixing it. If we can prevent ourselves from makeing the same mistakes over and over again we can avoid the pitfalls that clamed so many other civilizations. We can at the very least delay the 'autocorrect'.

wa:do