• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Nature Abhor Nothingness?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Is nothingness in reality an option? or is everything just a "form" of recycle?

Ecclesiastes 1:9

9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yo, Fool.

True nothingness isn't found in nature, because even the vacuum of furthest space has energy in it. It's possible that it's this way because Nature goes out its way to put some energy in there because it abhors a nothingness, but my own guess is that the energy was there first and that's what makes Nature possible.

So you can get at least one answer to your question depending on which of those options you choose.
9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
I interpret this bite of wisdom to mean that the author lived before the computer, mobile phone, Apple, Amazon and Donald Trump were around, and he wasn't up to imagining them ─ any more than I'd have been.

But I freely own that there are other possible interpretations.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

and the author might well be surprised to have lived to see this day

but it think the verse refers to creation by God

we humans manipulate
we change the form of things at hand

we don't actually create

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Yo, Fool.

True nothingness isn't found in nature, because even the vacuum of furthest space has energy in it. It's possible that it's this way because Nature goes out its way to put some energy in there because it abhors a nothingness, but my own guess is that the energy was there first and that's what makes Nature possible.

So you can get at least one answer to your question depending on which of those options you choose.
I interpret this bite of wisdom to mean that the author lived before the computer, mobile phone, Apple, Amazon and Donald Trump were around, and he wasn't up to imagining them ─ any more than I'd have been.

But I freely own that there are other possible interpretations.

as i once learned from beliefnet by another poster, books are sort of like rorschach tests, the christian bible and all 6 canons not excluded.

i don't believe personalities survive from one lifetime to another. i do believe the consciousness/information does.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
when you say .....let there be light

do you use a light switch?

all that was created happened by the end of Day Six
nothing more has been created

we manipulate

recreating is manipulation of what already exists. i'm fine with that. by day six, that which was, is, and will always be became something transformed.

there is nothing that exists separate from the ALL; so it recreated the all from the ALL.

spirit is not necessarily brahma creating, or necessarily shiva destroying, but also vishnu transforming.

and from the three come the All

Jeremiah 18:4
And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it.

idav

Being
Premium Member
when you say .....let there be light

do you use a light switch?

all that was created happened by the end of Day Six
nothing more has been created

we manipulate
Genesis was manipulation as well, how many times did it say animals were brought forth from the earth. Humans were molded by god according to Gensis, not created.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Matter pre-exists formation? How ? Why is it so difficult to have an idea of what "nothing" is? Afaik, dark energy is just a theory, and I think it's sort of a goofy theory, at that.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
'Dark energy' seems like what you say instead of 'i don't know'.

How does dark energy create other matter, anyway?

Ridiculous.:rolleyes:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
i don't believe personalities survive from one lifetime to another. i do believe the consciousness/information does.
Ouch! That'd be a tough gig! My consciousness floating out there, immune to gravity and the other rules that might keep me in touch with Home, but instead doomed to watch the earth vanishing into the distance, with no means of propulsion and left with a nice view of the stars.

Actually even that's not right, since I'd have no sensory organs. But then, I mightn't care either, since I'd have no memory. Indeed I wouldn't care, since I'd have no glands to flush me with the biochemicals of emotion.

Hmm.

Nah. I think I'll just die when I'm dead.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Ouch! That'd be a tough gig! My consciousness floating out there, immune to gravity and the other rules that might keep me in touch with Home, but instead doomed to watch the earth vanishing into the distance, with no means of propulsion and left with a nice view of the stars.

Actually even that's not right, since I'd have no sensory organs. But then, I mightn't care either, since I'd have no memory. Indeed I wouldn't care, since I'd have no glands to flush me with the biochemicals of emotion.

Hmm.

information(consciousness) doesn't die. isn't destroyed. the form breaks down into its subtler parts. the information remains entangled even at huge distances. an anthropomorphic form isn't necessary for the transfer of information to occur.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So does God. If He could actually create, John the Baptist wouldn't be a head short, right? :)
I've noticed....God does not intervene very often when His prophets are in trouble
seems they all end up dead too soon
and with serious grief dealt

and yeah, I look over my shoulder
of course I do

Thief

Rogue Theologian

Hmm.

you mean to say....you'll just be dead, when you die

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
information(consciousness) doesn't die. isn't destroyed. the form breaks down into its subtler parts. the information remains entangled even at huge distances. an anthropomorphic form isn't necessary for the transfer of information to occur.
But, I suspect, not information like my first car, my first kiss and better, the names of my kids, the stuff that matters to humans.