• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Muslim pray to God more than Christian

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Generalization of an entire religion is stupid. Some Muslims pray more than Christians, and some Christians pray more than Muslims. That's really all there is to it.

Frubaled!

You brought a very good point here. The OP, as I read it again, is about Muslims and Christians, not Islam and Christianity. Many posts, including mine, strayed to the latter argument and talked about what the religions have to give, which is against the obvious purpose of the thread. I know of Muslims that barely say/perform prayers at all. Piety is person-individually driven (if this makes sense heh) not religiously driven, I believe.

I've seen a CHristian on Youtube commend Muslims for their prayers and when I see Christians say prayers like those before eating or to the dead, it warms my heart and triggers my respect.

Sabour

The only thing I can say about it is that a in Islam, a muslim should offer Salat or prayer five times a day. Muslim can do other prayers do. That is how much a muslim SHOULD pray.

Do muslims pray more than Christians? I don't know, I can't even tell if muslims do actually follow what Islam says.

I would like to know though how many times should Christians pray?

sincerly

Originally Posted by serioja7 View Post
I talk to a Muslim and he argue with me that the pray more than Christians, what do you think?
I agree with him that from Physical point of view yes, but from spiritual I do not agree.

Generalization of an entire religion is stupid. Some Muslims pray more than Christians, and some Christians pray more than Muslims. That's really all there is to it.

From a Christian point of view, The number of times a day one prays is irrelevant. What counts is to whom one is praying and that it isn't prayer the is the Saving factor, but the Belief in the Sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

Therefore, as Smart Guy stated, there are issues between Islam and Christianity. But "Paradise" isn't gained by "numbers of prayers" in/by the Faith of Christians. By Islam???

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
But "Paradise" isn't gained by "numbers of prayers" in/by the Faith of Christians. By Islam???

Same for Islam. It just happened that some form of prayer is a pillar of Islam that has to be performed as a basic. Not performing it does not necessarily prevent going to heaven. We are humans and we have our weakness and God knows about that. God says in the Quran that He does not burden a soul over its capability. If we can't do it, we don't need to do it, no matter how important it is.

Last edited:

sincerly

The only thing I can say about it is that a in Islam, a muslim should offer Salat or prayer five times a day. Muslim can do other prayers do. That is how much a muslim SHOULD pray.

Do muslims pray more than Christians? I don't know, I can't even tell if muslims do actually follow what Islam says.

I would like to know though how many times should Christians pray?

One-answer, How many times does one receive Blessing from the LORD GOD CREATOR OF ALL THINGS?
1Thess.5:17-18, says, "Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."

sincerly

Originally Posted by sincerly View Post
But "Paradise" isn't gained by "numbers of prayers" in/by the Faith of Christians. By Islam???

Same for Islam. It just happened that some form of prayer is a pillar of Islam that has to be performed as a basic. Not performing it does not necessarily prevent going to heaven. We are humans and we have our weakness and God knows about that. God says in the Quran that He does not burden a soul over its capability. We can't do it, we don't need to do it, no matter how important it is.

S_G, "a pillar" that "has to be performed as basic" and yet is allowed because of "weakness", isn't "important".
Yes, GOD knows one's weaknesses, but the Creator GOD gave NO Laws which Mankind couldn't obey. The "weakness of one's "Lusts", do not negate the Laws of GOD.

Therefore,
We can't do it, we don't need to do it, no matter how important it is.
has placed one above the GOD---one professes.

Sabour

One-answer, How many times does one receive Blessing from the LORD GOD CREATOR OF ALL THINGS?
1Thess.5:17-18, says, "Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."

Everything is a bless from God. Praying here comes in the meaning of asking God for something.

What I was referring to was salat which is also referred to praying

gnostic

The Lost One
I am not a Christian, but just sharing a little information that some monastic orders, in which monks do prayers at every canonical hours of the day. So they pray more than 5 times a days.

And these monks are not your average Christians. So I doubt very much that average Christians would pray so much.

However, I don't know much about monastic practices, so I don't know if they still do this in monasteries today, and I don't know when this practice with canonical hour originated from.

If you want more information than what I have shared, then you would have to ask someone who would know more about church history than I know, particularly about monks or life in monastery.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
S_G, "a pillar" that "has to be performed as basic" and yet is allowed because of "weakness", isn't "important".
Yes, GOD knows one's weaknesses, but the Creator GOD gave NO Laws which Mankind couldn't obey. The "weakness of one's "Lusts", do not negate the Laws of GOD.

Therefore, has placed one above the GOD---one professes.

I didn't say it was something mankind could not obey. Actually, it is very easy to do. I do it daily and I'm practicing my life normally and happily same as non Muslims :)

What I meant was that if for some good reason we fail to practice that pillar of Islam, God won't blame us for it nor will he allow it to be a hindrance to go to heaven. If he does, it would not be fair. God is just.

As for the blue part, that was something God teaches, not me. So according to the context, the one placed above God is God himself :)

sincerly

S_G, your:
"a pillar" that "has to be performed as basic" and yet is allowed because of "weakness", isn't "important".

Therefore, (one)has placed one above the GOD---one professes.

I didn't say it was something mankind could not obey. Actually, it is very easy to do. I do it daily and I'm practicing my life normally and happily same as non Muslims :)

What I meant was that if for some good reason we fail to practice that pillar of Islam, God won't blame us for it nor will he allow it to be a hindrance to go to heaven. If he does, it would not be fair. God is just.

As for the blue part, that was something God teaches, not me. So according to the context, the one placed above God is God himself :)

There are no "good reasons" not to obey GOD. I agree, that the Sinai "Laws", "Statutes", "Judgments", "Ordinances", "Precepts", etc. which pertained to the Sacrificial/Ceremonial Redemption/Atonement of Mankind's Penalty for disobedience/sinning were Nailed the Jesus Christ's Cross---And that centuries before Mohammad. However, the rest of the laws given are still very much valid.

GOD is JUST and HIS Laws are Righteous and "fair". GOD made laws which were for a right relationship HIMSELF and one's neighbor. Therefore, the "DO UNTO OTHERS, AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU".(PER JESUS)

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
There are no "good reasons" not to obey GOD.

Well, if God gives us special permissions to neglect or postpone our duties towards Him, then that would be obeying Him too :)

Sometimes people get extremely sick, have accidents, forget, forced to do things, etc. that they can't/don't perform a prayer for example, so they can make up for it or postpone it until once they are able to do it. This is one of those laws of special permission. God understands such limitations in us.

I believe this discussion started because we are talking about two different beliefs. I apologize for creating such a confusion.

In Islam the ability to do the deed is important. Even the physically performed acts in the Five Pillars of Islam that makes one a Muslim, is connected to the ability to do them. Even us humans forgive our subordinates when we see for certain they cannot do something we ask of them (if in the process of their job they have a car accident and go to the ICU for example). If we can be this forgiving and merciful, I believe God, our creator, or our Father in some context, that knows us best, is more in place to be so.

This is what I believe. Not sure if it is the same in Christianity or other beliefs.

sincerly

Originally Posted by sincerly View Post There are no "good reasons" not to obey GOD.

Well, if God gives us special permissions to neglect or postpone our duties towards Him, then that would be obeying Him too :)

Sometimes people get extremely sick, have accidents, forget, forced to do things, etc. that they can't/don't perform a prayer for example, so they can make up for it or postpone it until once they are able to do it. This is one of those laws of special permission. God understands such limitations in us.

I believe this discussion started because we are talking about two different beliefs. I apologize for creating such a confusion.

S_G, Those "special permissions" were understood in the giving of the "prohibitions"/"Thou shall not" do such.
However, "forgetting" what the one knows to be a prohibited activity is a willful act and not Permissible.
Also, "forced to do" is a denial of the GOD one Loves with all their hearts and minds. One's love of life is stronger than one's LOVE for the Creator GOD.

In Islam the ability to do the deed is important. Even the physically performed acts in the Five Pillars of Islam that makes one a Muslim, is connected to the ability to do them. Even us humans forgive our subordinates when we see for certain they cannot do something we ask of them (if in the process of their job they have a car accident and go to the ICU for example). If we can be this forgiving and merciful, I believe God, our creator, or our Father in some context, that knows us best, is more in place to be so.

This is what I believe. Not sure if it is the same in Christianity or other beliefs.

Yes, We are speaking of two different belief systems. In your response above, all things which makes one a Muslim is subject to one's "ability" or "convenience to perform". Yes , there are circumstances which are excusable, but what is the motivational factor(s)?

Which beings me to ask(and please answer)---Can the "ALLAH of Muhammad"---LIE/be untruthful/be deceiving???(chapter and verse) I have tried to find that answer in the Koran/Quran without success. A "hadith" is not the Koran.
I do not want to bring us off this topic. A "forging a lie against Allah" isn't the answer.

The "freedom to choose our beliefs" is the witness one has to that belief---whether right or wrong.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Exactly.

Also, who cares? (haha). At the end of the day, all the prayer in the world isn't doing anything to make our planet less of a cesspool.

sincerly

Originally Posted by Triumphant_Loser View Post

Exactly.

Also, who cares? (haha). At the end of the day, all the prayer in the world isn't doing anything to make our planet less of a cesspool.

ssainhu, Right! The "cesspool" is the results of mankind's actions/beliefs---not how many prayers are offered and by whom.

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
Exactly.

Agreed. Prayer is kind of a futile attempt to take the easy way out of fixing a problem, In my opinion.
It kind of reminds me of a quote from Leonardo da Vinci.
"Thou, O God, dost sell us all good things... at the price of labor."

sincerly

Agreed. Prayer is kind of a futile attempt to take the easy way out of fixing a problem, In my opinion.
It kind of reminds me of a quote from Leonardo da Vinci.
"Thou, O God, dost sell us all good things... at the price of labor."

T_L, The Scriptures give the cause of Mankind's Problem. There is no easy way for mankind to "fix that problem".
Shifting the blame for one's accountability and responsibility will not correct the problem.
However, Acknowledging that guilt as the Scriptures point out(in Prayer) begins the process of healing.
The Scriptures, from the beginning, acknowledge that the Creator wasn't selling, but "giving" the privilege of having "dominion" over all things.
Mankind rejected the "easy way" for the "price of labor"(ing) for all the "good things" of life.(which were provided.)

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
T_L, The Scriptures give the cause of Mankind's Problem. There is no easy way for mankind to "fix that problem".
Shifting the blame for one's accountability and responsibility will not correct the problem.
However, Acknowledging that guilt as the Scriptures point out(in Prayer) begins the process of healing.
The Scriptures, from the beginning, acknowledge that the Creator wasn't selling, but "giving" the privilege of having "dominion" over all things.
Mankind rejected the "easy way" for the "price of labor"(ing) for all the "good things" of life.(which were provided.)

What purpose does prayer actually serve? If God already has an ultimate plan for everything, then regardless of how much we may beg, it's not going to happen... correct? Even within the realm of Christianity, prayer is futile.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Originally Posted by sincerly View Post There are no "good reasons" not to obey GOD.

S_G, Those "special permissions" were understood in the giving of the "prohibitions"/"Thou shall not" do such.
However, "forgetting" what the one knows to be a prohibited activity is a willful act and not Permissible.
Also, "forced to do" is a denial of the GOD one Loves with all their hearts and minds. One's love of life is stronger than one's LOVE for the Creator GOD.

Yes, We are speaking of two different belief systems. In your response above, all things which makes one a Muslim is subject to one's "ability" or "convenience to perform". Yes , there are circumstances which are excusable, but what is the motivational factor(s)?

By special permissions I meant the ones taken when the excusable circumstances present them selves, and by being "forced to do" I meant circumstances where we humans certainly have no choice in like forced by an enemy to eat pork for their amusement or imprisoned with shackles and chains to prevent us from performing prayers. Eating pork or missing prayers (the physical required ones; i.e. salat in Arabic) in that context are not sinful and we are not blamed for it as long as we have the pure mental intention in not really wanting to do so.

Which beings me to ask(and please answer)---Can the "ALLAH of Muhammad"---LIE/be untruthful/be deceiving???(chapter and verse) I have tried to find that answer in the Koran/Quran without success. A "hadith" is not the Koran.
I do not want to bring us off this topic. A "forging a lie against Allah" isn't the answer.

The "freedom to choose our beliefs" is the witness one has to that belief---whether right or wrong.

Could you please rephrase that?

If you see it is off-topic, and I personally think so too, you can ask it in the Islam DIR where other members will help. I'm still willing to answer it here if I get a clearer meaning.

sincerly

What purpose does prayer actually serve? If God already has an ultimate plan for everything, then regardless of how much we may beg, it's not going to happen... correct? Even within the realm of Christianity, prayer is futile.

T_L, Scripturally, Communication with the Creator GOD of all things is never "futile".
"Reason" tells us that chaos occurs where there is no purpose. The Creator GOD---from the beginning of things set all things in order.
Along with truth there is the possibility of falseness. Mankind was made with a freedom to choose between the two. That Choice had consequences which man was made to understand. It(that freedom) was/would be the means to do the final population of HIS(GOD'S) Creation.

Therefore, The purpose of prayer is in focusing one upon the reality of the Almighty GOD and one's relationship to HIM and all creation. ALL the facets that involves.

It isn't "IF" Scripturally, but "Since".
And "begging" isn't the scriptural means/way of obtaining, but "confessing and repenting and submitting to the Will of the Father"---is.

sincerly

By special permissions I meant the ones taken when the excusable circumstances present them selves, and by being "forced to do" I meant circumstances where we humans certainly have no choice in like forced by an enemy to eat pork for their amusement or imprisoned with shackles and chains to prevent us from performing prayers. Eating pork or missing prayers (the physical required ones; i.e. salat in Arabic) in that context are not sinful and we are not blamed for it as long as we have the pure mental intention in not really wanting to do so.

S_G, By your post, "special permission" could be made "excusable circumstances" for anything one found inconvenient at the moment.

Could you please rephrase that?

S_G, Can or does Allah lie?(An intentional false statement/belief or being deceptive?)

If you see it is off-topic, and I personally think so too, you can ask it in the Islam DIR where other members will help. I'm still willing to answer it here if I get a clearer meaning.

An answer to the OP could be deceptive, however, MY question is dealing with Allah rather than mankind. Where in the Koran does it say that Allah can or cannot LIE?.