• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Muslim pray to God more than Christian

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
:facepalm:

From the east?

I find these post from Christians attacking Muslims very funny its just a reflection of the community..

Technically it was the otherway around if the OP was telling truth. But I have been around long enough to see it happen back and forth.

All in all it is all pretty pathetic. Seems religion is a competition to some.

F0uad

Technically it was the otherway around if the OP was telling truth. But I have been around long enough to see it happen back and forth.

All in all it is all pretty pathetic. Seems religion is a competition to some.

Agree, but they had a discussion i think it was a friendly one ;)

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
I talk to a Muslim and he argue with me that the pray more than Christians, what do you think?
I agree with him that from Physical point of view yes, but from spiritual I do not agree.

Why would anyone care unless they're in a mood to religion-bash?

Jameela.mahreen

I think it varies.

When I was a Christian I only prayed at births, weddings and funerals, or when someone close was ill or dying ... once or twice a year?

Now I am a Muslim I pray five times a day.

Phil25

I talk to a Muslim and he argue with me that the pray more than Christians, what do you think?
I agree with him that from Physical point of view yes, but from spiritual I do not agree.

Disagree that Muslims pray more than Christians.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

i was once told that muslims do not address God as 'father'

That seemed very odd to me. But I would question, not the quantity of prayers, but the 'quality' of them.

There are people who pray all day ... repeating the same phrases over and over again. eventually those phrases must become meaningless because the person repeating them doesnt even need to think about what they are actually saying.

For a prayer to be meaningful, it should be personal and from the heart.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Muslims are called to pray 5 times a day. Christians are called to pray without ceasing.

In the Orthodox Tradition, we have the Prayer of the Heart--that is, we pray with our entire being. Prayer becomes as natural and constant to us as breathing, and so our minds and hearts are always lifted up to God. The Prayer of the Heart has many forms--one can say "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner" or simply "Lord have mercy". The one who practices this prayer will find it beating with his heart, filling his lungs. This constant prayer loses none of its meaning, but rather it transforms our entire being, helping us to be more like Christ, to be closer and more receptive to God, and to drive sin away from us.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Dunno much about the prayers in Christianity, but in Islam, prayers are of two forms and both of them are spiritual.

The first one is the physically performed prayer and it is called "salaah" or "salaat" if in connected speech. This form of prayer disconnects us from this life in a direct connection to God. While performed, Muslims basically (exceptions are always there) ignore everything around as if they are not there. Part of those prayer are obligatory and a pillar of Islam, which are the five prayers a day, and the other part is optional and special, and it comes in way so many occasions. The longest one of them, and it is only one example of tens more, could take up to an hour or more to finish and it takes place daily in the month of Ramadan. Other examples of special cases for this physical prayer are entering the mosque, after and/or before each of the five main prayers (depends on the main prayer), for the departed, asking God for rains, late night prayer, thanking God, and some others.

The second form is called "Dua'a" in Arabic and it is optional. This form takes place like as long as we are awake. Entering home has a prayer, starting to eat has a prayer, finishing eating has a prayer, entering the bathroom and leaving it has a prayer, traveling away and returning from it has a prayer, feeling fear has a prayer, blessing for buying a new ride has a prayer (I'm serious), slaying animals, waking up from sleep, going to sleep, starting some casual acts, ending some casual acts, sneezing, seeing something we like (different types), seeing something we don't like (different types)... and sooooo many others I can't even count. Heck, even starting a love making intercourse has a prayer.

If you ask me, I'd say that I don't think there is any other religion can have more prayers than Islam. However, this is my opinion and I'd never impose it on my Christian friends as it is more than their prayers.

Love you all :)

Last edited:

Draupadi

It comes from the notion that quantity is better than quality. Quantity wise I would say that Muslims pray more, five times daily (sometimes more) and always recite supplications to remember God for minor things like entering the bathroom, for safety purposes and the likes. I have seen a Common Book of Prayers and there were some daily prayers in it too, but it can't rival the quantity of the Muslims. However like many before me have mentioned before it is quality that matters.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Why is it a friggin' contest?! :rolleyes:

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
It comes from the notion that quantity is better than quality. Quantity wise I would say that Muslims pray more, five times daily (sometimes more) and always recite supplications to remember God for minor things like entering the bathroom, for safety purposes and the likes. I have seen a Common Book of Prayers and there were some daily prayers in it too, but it can't rival the quantity of the Muslims. However like many before me have mentioned before it is quality that matters.

I completely agree, quality is what matters. Prophet Muhammad once stopped a man from leaving the mosque several times after prayer telling him to repeat the prayer as those several repeated ones did not count.

Last edited:

sojourner

It's neither. The quality/quantity argument assumes that prayer is some specific activity that takes place outside our normal, daily activities. Prayer is more an attitude of life than it is an activity that is separate from life.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It's neither. The quality/quantity argument assumes that prayer is some specific activity that takes place outside our normal, daily activities. Prayer is more an attitude of life than it is an activity that is separate from life.
To me, that would seem to reinforce the idea of being quality oriented. Isn't the whole idea communion?

sojourner

To me, that would seem to reinforce the idea of being quality oriented. Isn't the whole idea communion?
Hmm. I don't think so. Doesn't that still sort of assume that prayer is some sort of encapsulated activity that can either be high or low quality, rather than perceiving prayer as a quality of life in general?

sincerly

I personally don't understand the needs for prayer.

So I don't why people think that praying MORE is "best" or "better".

Does God really care how much you pray?

I would have thought that praying with sincerity or heart-felt thingy (sorrow, repentance/guilt, or thankfulness, etc) would mean more than the quantities of prayers.

If you simply praying by reciting some verses from respective scriptures or from prayer books, then how is that prayer "genuine"? Surely even criminals could recite the whole surah from Qur'an or chapter from the Bible. Such recitals are mechanical...more like lip-service than anything genuine.

Gnostic, If I understand you correctly in that post, we have something to agree upon.

Jesus Christ gave a model prayer which was brought to light the whole meaning and purpose for prayer. It wasn't a ritual, but a personal communication with the Creator GOD of all things.---Our Father.

Luke 11:1-4(13), "And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples. And he said unto them, When ye pray, say,
Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. Give us day by day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil."

Believers will acknowledge GOD as their "Father" and "HIS Name"--- as worthy of Holiness, sanctity, reverence, etc.
Believers will look for that promised peaceful promised Kingdom.
Believers willingly submit to the Will of the Father just as the faithful Angels do.
Believes ask for and thank GOD for their sustenance and loving care daily.
Believers acknowledge their sins/wrong actions/contrariness to HIS Will and repent of such. Believers, also, are willing to forgive those who repent of doing them harm. (not the lip-service as you acknowledge.)
Believers know that GOD will not lead them into temptation as they continually walk where HE has lead---and that HE will deliver one from evil that could separate one from HIS LOVE, but can not, as long as one abides in HIM.

It is the Quality---genuineness, truthfulness, honesty, etc. that counts----NOT the length or the quantity of prayer.

That's not to say that one shouldn't be constantly in communication (open line) with the Redeemer.

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe sometimes it isn't how much one prays but how efectively. The Bible says the prayers of a righteous man accomplish much.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Ok so if there is a muslim attacking ''Christians'' therefore you should do the same? seems illogical..

The OP who is a Christian was just making a statement what seems valid therefore not attacking anyone so why should you attack Muslims on this Topic?
Is it a insult to say that muslims in general pray more and if so it was a Christian who started the Subject.

I believe you should read my post before responding to it. I said it is against God's will to attack another person's religion unless of course He is worhipping a stone or wooden image.

I believe some Muslims have used this argument to suggest that Islam is a better religion than Christianity. That might work in the particular but not on the whole. For instance Catholics have a more reverential view of holiness than Protestants but that doesn't mean that Catholicism is better on the whole.