• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Matthew show how Jesus relived the Old Testament

whirlingmerc

It starts in greek with the genealogy, literally the phrase 'the GENESIS of Jesus' where we find in Genesis and in greek the phrase the GENESIS of the heavens and the earth around chapter 2

It ends with the proclamation of Cyrus having all power under heaven
23 “Thus says Cyrus king of Persia, ‘The Lord, the God of heaven, has given me all the kingdoms of the earth, and he has charged me to build him a house at Jerusalem, which is in Judah. Whoever is among you of all his people, may the Lord his God be with him. Let him go up.’”
Where Matthew ends with the proclamation of Jesus to go into the world being given all power in heaven and on earth to build a house for God, the church being the house

Seems remarkably similar

Psalm 6 a sorrowful psalm

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There's somewhat of a circular aspect to the Jewish approach to history, like Jesus being the "new Adam", for example. There are a great many such examples, even if the real history has to be "stretched" a bit.

Rational Agnostic

It starts in greek with the genealogy, literally 'the GENESIS of Jesus' where we find in Genesis the GENESIS of the heavens and the earth around chapter 2

23 “Thus says Cyrus king of Persia, ‘The Lord, the God of heaven, has given me all the kingdoms of the earth, and he has charged me to build him a house at Jerusalem, which is in Judah. Whoever is among you of all his people, may the Lord his God be with him. Let him go up.’”
Where Matthew ends with the proclamation of Jesus to go into the world being given all power in heaven and on earth

Seems remarkably similar

No, he most likely copied the OT genealogy to "cook the books" per se.

whirlingmerc

In other cases there may be superficial comparisons. In the case of Jesus and Adam the comparisons and contrasts are substantial.. but on the subject of the 'new Adam' Jesus does go into the wilderness to be tempted which is in a way an anti-type of the temptations in the garden of Eden only as Adam gave in, Jesus prevailed. Adam had death enter the world and Jesus life

In the temptation of satan i like how although he used Psalm 91 "he will command his angels concerning you to guard you wherever you may go to be with you and lift you in their hands so that you won't strike your foot against a stone' but it's kinda cool that God put a few verses after the temptation Satan would use a prophesy of Satan's doom being crushed underfoot by the Son of Man (Jesus) "You will tread upon the lion and the cobra, trample upon the serpent head"

whirlingmerc

No, he most likely copied the OT genealogy to "cook the books" per se.

When Joshua made the son stand still or Moses parted the sea or Jesus raised the dead and walked out of his tomb that's quite a feast... good cooks

Moses received the law on a mountain, Jesus gave a right view of the law on a mountain
Just as Moses sent 12 spies into the promised land Jesus had 12 apostles and just as Joshua sent 12 tribes to conquer the land Jesus figuratively had the 12 go into he world to heal and resttore it, reconcile it to God in the gospel

Last edited:

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Yes I believe it is all about Jesus, the old testament and the new testament. Heaven and Earth, everything was created for him and revolves around him.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
It starts in greek with the genealogy, literally the phrase 'the GENESIS of Jesus' where we find in Genesis and in greek the phrase the GENESIS of the heavens and the earth around chapter 2

Where Matthew ends with the proclamation of Jesus to go into the world being given all power in heaven and on earth to build a house for God, the church being the house

Seems remarkably similar

Seems like a good observation to me. I think this is what Matthew means each time it says that Jesus fulfills. There is symbolically a Red Sea (baptism), something like Kiddish (eucharist) and a Passover lamb.

whirlingmerc

Seems like a good observation to me. I think this is what Matthew means each time it says that Jesus fulfills. There is symbolically a Red Sea (baptism), something like Kiddish (eucharist) and a Passover lamb.

It's also king cool how Matthew ties the parables in the midst of the the book, reaching back to the use of dark parable in Psalm 78 where it was foretold parables would be spoken of thengs hidden from the foundation of the world ... and this is where I was a bit surprised.... Psalm 78 is a history Psalm of Irsrael mostly failures ending with the shepherd king David... but... I suppose even that history David included is a parable about Jesus

Psalm 78
Give ear, O my people, to my teaching;
incline your ears to the words of my mouth!
2 I will open my mouth in a parable;
I will utter dark sayings from of old,

At first I was surprised a psalm would lead off speaking of dark parables hidden from the foundation of the world and go on to say 'but we will not hid them from our children' and recount a history lesson up to David... but maybe I should not be surprised if the history of Israel is parable of the coming one. It's like Jesus is 'hidden in plain sight'

Am I wrong?

Last edited:

whirlingmerc

I also do like that in Matthew Jesus refers to an important point from Hosea 'I desire mercy not sacrifice'
Gomer, Hosea's unfaithful wife who Hosea bought back at auction could not sacrifice anything except receive mercy. Hosea, depicting Jesus provided a redemption price and showed stunning mercy

Isn't it also stunning that the first person redeemed in the promised land was Rahab the harlot and the first minor prophet was the story of Hosea, as if to stress the stunning mercies of God

DennisTate

Seems remarkably similar

Wow!

I also consider that Messiah Yeshua - Jesus is the ultimate Cyrus type......
due to the way that He meets with people from all religious groups and walks of life
and shows them astonishing love and mercy.....
The way that he met with former ATheist Howard Storm.......
or Orthodox Jewish Atheist Ms. Beverly Brodsky is amazing!

Reverend Howard Storm's Near-Death Experience
The Life Review of Howard Storm

https://www.near-death.com/religion/judaism/beverly-brodsky.html

Beverly Brodsky's Near-Death Experience

Beverly Brodsky was raised in a conservative Jewish family in a mostly Jewish neighborhood in Philadelphia. She went through her teens as an atheist. Since learning of the Holocaust at age eight, she had turned angrily against any early belief in God. How could God exist and permit such a thing to occur? In July 1970, her questions were answered when a motorcycle accident led to her near-death experience. Her NDE testimony comes from Evelyn Elsaesser Valarino and Kenneth Ring's book, Lessons From The Light, reprinted by permission. Ring described Beverly Brodsky's NDE as "possibly the most moving in my entire collection."

...... "And deep within me came an instant and wondrous recognition: I, even I, was facing God.

I immediately lashed out at him with all the questions I had ever wondered about; all the injustices I had seen in the physical world. I don't know if I did this deliberately, but I discovered that God knows all your thoughts immediately and responds telepathically. My mind was naked; in fact, I became pure mind. The ethereal body which I had traveled in through the tunnel seemed to be no more; it was just my personal intelligence confronting that Universal Mind, which clothed itself in a glorious, living light that was more felt that seen, since no eye could absorb its splendor.

I don't recall the exact content of our discussion; in the process of return, the insights that came so clearly and fully in Heaven were not brought back with me to Earth. I'm sure that I asked the question that had been plaguing me since childhood about the sufferings of my people. I do remember this: There was a reason for everything that happened, no matter how awful it appeared in the physical realm. And within myself, as I was given the answer, my own awakening mind now responded in the same manner:

"Of course," I would think, "I already know that. How could I ever have forgotten!"

Indeed, it appears that all that happens is for a purpose, and that purpose is already known to our eternal self.

In time the questions ceased, because I suddenly was filled with all the Being's wisdom. I was given more than just the answers to my questions; all knowledge unfolded to me, like the instant blossoming of an infinite number of flowers all at once. I was filled with God's knowledge, and in that precious aspect of his Beingness, I was one with him. But my journey of discovery was just beginning.

whirlingmerc

Wow!

I also consider that Messiah Yeshua - Jesus is the ultimate Cyrus type......
due to the way that He meets with people from all religious groups and walks of life
and shows them astonishing love and mercy.....
The way that he met with former ATheist Howard Storm.......
or Orthodox Jewish Atheist Ms. Beverly Brodsky is amazing!

Reverend Howard Storm's Near-Death Experience
The Life Review of Howard Storm

https://www.near-death.com/religion/judaism/beverly-brodsky.html

Beverly Brodsky's Near-Death Experience

God loves you as you are but loves you too much to leave you as you are.... so if he didn't have saving faith and the fruit consistent with salvation, then maybe Jesus didn't 'meet' with him really

After all it was Jesus who said 'I am the way the truth and the life no man comes to the Father but through Me"

God loves you as you are but loves you too much to leave you as you are.... so if he didn't have saving faith and the fruit consistent with salvation, then maybe Jesus didn't 'meet' with him really

God loves you as you are but loves you too much not to save you as you are, which is the difference between the true Christ and anti-Christ that says, No, God must first improve you in order to save you.

Last edited:
In other cases there may be superficial comparisons. In the case of Jesus and Adam the comparisons and contrasts are substantial.. but on the subject of the 'new Adam' Jesus does go into the wilderness to be tempted which is in a way an anti-type of the temptations in the garden of Eden only as Adam gave in, Jesus prevailed. Adam had death enter the world and Jesus life

In the temptation of satan i like how although he used Psalm 91 "he will command his angels concerning you to guard you wherever you may go to be with you and lift you in their hands so that you won't strike your foot against a stone' but it's kinda cool that God put a few verses after the temptation Satan would use a prophesy of Satan's doom being crushed underfoot by the Son of Man (Jesus) "You will tread upon the lion and the cobra, trample upon the serpent head"

Wonderful! God bless you