• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Math Exist Independent of Our Minds?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Does math exist independent of our minds? Why or why not?

In the philosophy of mathematics, there are basically two positions on the subject of whether or not mathematics exists independent of our minds.

Naturally, these positions date back over 2,000 years to the ancient Greeks. The first position is called Platonism, after the famous Greek philosopher, Plato. Essentially, Platonism holds that mathematics exists apart from out minds.

On the other hand, the second position -- called Formalism -- holds the opposite. Mathematics is a construct of our minds.

What think you?

exchemist

Veteran Member

In the philosophy of mathematics, there are basically two positions on the subject of whether or not mathematics exists independent of our minds.

Naturally, these positions date back over 2,000 years to the ancient Greeks. The first position is called Platonism, after the famous Greek philosopher, Plato. Essentially, Platonism holds that mathematics exists apart from out minds.

On the other hand, the second position -- called Formalism -- holds the opposite. Mathematics is a construct of our minds.

What think you?
I am not sure these positions are mutually exclusive.

Humanity can create intellectual artifacts that are abstract. For instance, does Bach's Art of Fugue exist when it is not being performed? I would argue that it does - and not merely in the notes on a manuscript used to record it.

So I would say mathematics is a human construct of logic but, having been created, it exists in the abstract, independent of whether any given human mind may be using it.

Curious George

Veteran Member

What think you?
I believe it does. Relationships exists with or without human minds. We can use math to describe those relationships but the maths that underlies those relationships are present regardless of whether a human mind can understand or quantify them. Our existence necessitates this.

That is one existed before we called it one or were around to call it one. And having one entails two. And so on and so forth. A shape must exist before we can label that shape. While, (in an effective shorthand), we may have mentally created the perfection of the certain shapes by recognizing patterns (i.e. there is no actual perfect circle), each shape that exists can be perfectly described by some mathematics.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
So I would say mathematics is a human construct of logic but, having been created, it exists in the abstract, independent of whether any given human mind may be using it.
How does "abstraction" exist without the cognitive intellect that generates it?

PureX

Veteran Member
I believe ot does. Relationships exists with or without human minds. We can use math to describe those relationships but the math that underlies those relationships are present regardless of whether there a human mind can understand or quantify them. Our existence necessitates this.

That is one existed before we called it one or were around to call it one. And having one entails two. And so on and so forth. A shape must exist before we can label that shape. While, (in an effective shorthand), we may have mentally created the perfection of the certain shapes by recognizing patterns (i.e. there is no actual perfect circle), each shape that exists can be perfectly described by some mathematics.
One tree in a forest of trees is a perceived singular phenomena, not an actual one. Existence is a whole, ongoing phenomena. We humans cannot perceive the whole of it, though, so we perceive it in parts that we then must 'inter-relate' to create the idea of a whole.

Phenomena exists. Our mathematically inter-related perception of the phenomena of existence is being created by how our minds work, and so only exists, there.

Curious George

Veteran Member
One tree in a forest of trees is a perceived singular phenomena, not an actual one. Existence is a whole, ongoing phenomena.
So existence is a one? Or is that not a one either?
We humans cannot perceive the whole of it, though, so we perceive it in parts that we then must 'inter-relate' to create the idea of a whole.
Parts? You mean one can be divided? That sounds like more math.
Phenomena exists.
Then we have our one-'nuff said.
Our mathematically inter-related perception of the phenomena of existence is being created by how our minds work, and so only exists, there.
I disagree based on the obvious holes in your suggestions.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
The BBC in the UK has just had a three part TV series on this very subject. It was called "Magic Numbers: Hannah Fry's Mysterious World of Maths"

If you are in the UK you can get it on iPlayer the first episode is here...
BBC iPlayer - Magic Numbers: Hannah Frys Mysterious World of Maths - Series 1: 3. Weirder and Weirder

Thanks for that!

I wasn't aware of this documentary but then again I don't get to watch much TV in general because I have such a busy worklife in a law firm. This is definetly going to be my weekend viewing.

From the description provided by the BBC, I concur with the presenter Dr Hannah Fry (herself a mathematician). Her interpretation seems to be line, actually, with the majority position in the field i.e. mathematical realism/platonism (apart from her speculation about other universes which is strongly disputed since it isn't capable of testable prediction):

Hannah argues that Einstein's theoretical equations, such as E=mc2 and his theory of general relativity, are so good at predicting the universe that they must be reflecting some basic structure in it. This idea is supported by Kurt Godel, who proved that there are parts of maths that we have to take on faith.

Hannah then explores what maths can reveal about the fundamental building blocks of the universe - the subatomic, quantum world. The maths tells us that particles can exist in two states at once, and yet quantum physics is at the core of photosynthesis and therefore fundamental to most of life on earth - more evidence of discovering mathematical rules in nature.

We may just have to accept that the world really is weirder than we thought, and Hannah concludes that while we have invented the language of maths, the structure behind it all is something we discover. And beyond that, it is the debate about the origins of maths that has had the most profound consequences: it has truly transformed the human experience, giving us powerful new number systems and an understanding that now underpins the modern world.

See:

https://www.iep.utm.edu/mathplat/

Mathematical platonism enjoys widespread support and is frequently considered the default metaphysical position with respect to mathematics.

This is unsurprising given its extremely natural interpretation of mathematical practice. In particular, mathematical platonism takes at face-value such well known truths as that "there exist" an infinite number of prime numbers, and it provides straightforward explanations of mathematical objectivity and of the differences between mathematical and spatio-temporal entities.

Thus arguments for mathematical platonism typically assert that in order for mathematical theories to be true their logical structure must refer to some mathematical entities, that many mathematical theories are indeed objectively true, and that mathematical entities are not constituents of the spatio-temporal realm.

Mathematical platonism is any metaphysical account of mathematics that implies mathematical entities exist, that they are abstract, and that they are independent of all our rational activities. For example, a platonist might assert that the number pi exists outside of space and time and has the characteristics it does regardless of any mental or physical activities of human beings.

Mathematical platonists are often called "realists," although, strictly speaking, there can be realists who are not platonists because they do not accept the platonist requirement that mathematical entities be abstract.

Last edited:

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
Here is the answer given by theoretical physicist Laura Mersini-Houghton, a cosmologist and theoretical physicist, and professor at the University of North Carolina:

The Multiverse, the Initial Conditions, the Laws and, Mathematics by Laura Mersini-Houghton

What about the role of mathematics? We admittedly are in awe of the level of rigour and razor
sharp logic that mathematics introduces to all of science. We are intrinsically conditioned to
think of laws of nature written in a mathematical language.

Practising science without
mathematics is inconceivable to us. Mathematics gives a set of abstract symbols and relations,
which when combined, produce an infinity of objects. We are familiar with some of these
objects. We can imagine some other objects. Yet there may be an infinite number of objects
which we have neither imagined nor are familiar with so far.

Our collective experience and the infinite set of objects mathematics contains, led me to
believe, like many others in the community, that mathematics is the ultimate level of reality.
Space and time are not part of this layer.

I would also like people to watch this fascinating discussion between Sir Roger Penrose, one of the world's greatest mathematicians and physicists (now aged 87 and former emeritus professor of physics at Oxford University), and his younger colleague Ard Louis (now Professor of Theoretical Physics at Oxford University):

An Interview with Sir Roger Penrose

Some other thinkers who likewise endorse the 'mathematical realism' standpoint:

The miracle of the appropriateness of the language of mathematics for the formulation of the laws of physics is a wonderful gift which we neither understand nor deserve.

Eugene Wigner (1960), theoretical physicist, engineer and mathematician, Nobel Prize in Physics (1963), in “The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics in the Natural Sciences,” Communications in Pure and Applied Mathematics (John Wiley & Sons: 1960).​

Modern mathematics is the formal study of structures that can be defined in a purely abstract way, without any human baggage. Think of mathematical symbols as mere labels without intrinsic meaning. It doesn’t matter whether you write “two plus two equals four”, “2 + 2 = 4” or “dos mas dos igual a cuatro”. The notation used to denote the entities and the relations is irrelevant; the only properties of integers are those embodied by the relations between them. That is, we don’t invent mathematical structures – we discover them, and invent only the notation for describing them.

Professor Max Tegmark (2014), in Our Mathematical Universe: My Quest for the Ultimate Nature of Reality (Random House: 2014).​

The laws should be “there” even prior to the universe itself. Does this mean that the laws are not mere descriptions of reality and can have an independent existence of their own? In the absence of space, time, and matter, what tablets could they be written upon? The laws are expressed in the form of mathematical equations. If the medium of mathematics is the mind, does this mean that mind should predate the universe?

Alexander Vilenkin, Professor of Physics and Director of the Institute of Cosmology at Tufts University, in “Many Worlds in One: The Search for Other Universes” (Kindle Locations 3188–3191). Farrar, Straus and Giroux. Kindle Edition (2006).

Alain Connes, a 71 year old French mathematician, currently Professor at the Collège de France, explains Mathematical Platonism and it's antagonist, Formalist Constructivism, well as follows:

There are two opposing extreme viewpoints about mathematical activity. The first one,which
I am entirely in agreement with, follows the Platonists: it states that there is a raw, primitive
mathematical reality which predates its discovery. A world whose exploration requires the
creation of tools, in the sameway as ships had to be invented to cross oceans.

Mathematicians will, therefore, invent, create theories whose purpose is to shed some light on this preexisting reality. The second viewpoint is that of formalists; they deny mathematics any preexistence, considering that it is a formal game, founded on axioms and logical deductions, hence a purely human creation.

This viewpoint seems more natural to non-mathematicians, who are reluctant to assume an unknown world which they do not perceive. People understand that mathematics is a language, but not that it is an external reality outside the human mind.

Yet, the great discoveries of the 20th century, in particular Godel’s work, have shown that
the formalist viewpoint is unsustainable. Whatever be the means of exploration, the formal
system used, there will always be mathematical truths beyond it, and mathematical reality
cannot be reduced to the logical consequences of a formal system.

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
Here's another two, firstly Professor Edward Frenkel, a Russian-American mathematician working in representation theory, algebraic geometry, and mathematical physics. He is a professor of mathematics at University of California, Berkeley:

And Professor George Ellis, the emeritus distinguished professor of cosmology and complex systems in the Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics at the University of Cape Town in South Africa, watch the videos here (see the 5th or 6th video on the list regarding the question of whether maths is eternal or invented):

George Ellis

Here's the transcript (GE is Professor George Ellis):

24:29 – THE ETERNAL TRUTHS OF MATHEMATICS
David: So this is something that Ard and I were discussing earlier. Are you saying that when I ask you what does two plus two equal, and you say four, it’s always seemed to me the reductionistic argument – when they say, well, consciousness doesn’t exist – is that somehow you come up with the answer four because you were forced to because electrons just got into that state? Whereas I’ve always thought that the reason you say the answer is four is because of the logic of mathematics. So, in other words, it’s the logic of mathematics which is pushing the electrons around, not the other way, where the electrons are forcing you to have a thought.

GE: No, you’re quite right. That’s exactly the way it is.

David: Okay, so he does agree with us. Because we were discussing this earlier, and then we thought, crikey, maybe we’ve both really misunderstood it.

GE: Do you want me to open this up to an even more mind-boggling place?

David: Go on then.

GE: Okay. Where does the logic of mathematics come from?

David: Oh dear.

GE: This is the old question: do we invent mathematics or do we find mathematics? And I’m an unashamed mathematical Platonist: we discover mathematics. Two plus two is four is too simple. Let’s take something more interesting like the fact that the square root of two is irrational. Now the square root of two is irrational no matter whether you’re an Ancient Greek or someone here or someone on Mars. The square root of two is irrational. It’s a timeless, eternal, unchanging mathematical truth. In other words it’s a Platonic kind of statement.

The ontology is the mathematics exists and is there and is unchanging. The fact that the square root of two is irrational is an eternal unchanging truth. What we understand about it is a historically contingent thing, and we didn’t know that 10,000 years ago and we do know it now.

David: But the thing which is true was always true?

GE: The thing which is true is always true and has been true since the beginning of the universe.

David: Right, so in other words it was true when there were only dinosaurs around, and it’s still true.

GE: It was true at the start of the Big Bang. It was true before, when there was just hot gas and nothing else.

Ard: I mean, if you think about it that way, it’s really hard to believe that wouldn’t be the case.

David: Except that if people, physicists, would say look, ‘I’ve got bosons and I’ve got quarks, you know, what is the particle that carries the idea?’ That’s what...

GE: Yeah, but physicists have great trouble telling you this famous question. Why does mathematics underlie physics? The famous thing that Galileo said that the nature of the universe is written in mathematics. And Wigner and Penrose and other people have pondered, why is it that physics can be written in mathematical terms? And that’s a deep philosophical question for which we don’t have a proper answer.

Ard: So the unreasonable effectiveness of mathematics?

GE: The unreasonable effectiveness of mathematics, yes.

27:21 – A SPACE TO BE DISCOVERED
Ard: So that kind of raises another really interesting question, because there are these abstract truths, like the truths of mathematics, the world of ideas. Where do those come from?

David: You said where this time.

Ard: This time I said where. Where do they come from? I didn’t say, ‘where are they?’ But, ‘what is their cause?’

GE: What is the cause of those mathematical logical truths?

Ard: Yes, exactly.

GE: It’s the nature of logic is all I can say. That is the way it is.

David: You see, for you, it’s God.

Ard: I think it comes from God.

GE: God? Okay, well I’m prepared to say that that is one possibility. There’s an alternative possibility, which is that God has to obey…

Ard: Obey the law of logic.

David: God is one of the ideas in your realm of ideas.

Ard: Well no, there’s a long argument among theologians and philosophers…

GE: I’m sure there’s a long argument with theologians.

Ard: …whether the laws of mathematics are created by God, or whether God, in fact, has to obey the laws of mathematics. So, for example, you might say, even God can’t make a square circle because it’s a non-logical. It’s law of non-contradiction. But the interesting point is that here we have these abstract, non-physical realities that have causal powers in our world. We think of God as a non-physical, abstract entity who has causal impact on the world, so there’s some analogy there. And once you hold that there’s one kind of non-physical reality, then it’s not so strange to think there might be another kind.

GE: That’s this kind of theology which I avoid.

Ard: You avoid theology?

GE: Yeah, I avoid theology.

GE: From my view point, existence isn’t just physical existence: there’s these abstract existences. So then you should ask me in philosophical terms how do I justify the word existence? And I’ve got a very simple answer to that. I take the existence of physical entities, like we’re seeing in this room, as being real – that’s my starting point – and I take the hierarchy of this to be real. So, in other words, this thing is made up of a metal ball, which is made up of atoms, which is made up of quarks. I believe that the ball is real, as well as the atoms are real.

I think just because it’s made of atoms doesn’t mean that it isn’t a real ball. So that physical hierarchy is real. Then I say that anything else which has a demonstrable causal effect on here must also be real.

David: Ah, so your ideas?

GE: Otherwise you have uncaused entities in the world.

David: Right.

GE: I’ve got in my hand a pair of spectacles. Now, how did they come into existence? Someone had the idea of a pair of spectacles and then created these by a machine, and so on. If they hadn’t had that idea, this wouldn’t exist. So that idea has to be real too, even though it’s not a physical entity.

The generic way to think about this, the deep structure of cosmology, is possibility spaces. Now, physicists like to talk about physical laws, but you can talk about the laws, or you can talk about what is possible given those laws. And actually, in many ways, it’s better to talk about what’s called a phase space, or a Hilbert space.

Once you start the line of argument I’ve been giving, there’s a mathematical possibility space. It’s a space of possible logical arguments and outcomes. If you now keep pursuing this line of argument, we can only think a thought because it is possible to think the thought. That sounds like a meaningless tautology, but actually what it means is the following: there is a set of possible thoughts which is up there in some Platonic space. You can’t think a thought unless it’s one of the thoughts which can be thought because it’s a logical possible thought.

David: So that realm of ideas your talking about, you would say that came into existence in the Big Bang along with… along with the…?

GE: I wouldn’t necessarily say it came into existence. I think it might in some sense pre-exist the big bang.

David: Oh, okay. Pre-exist. But it exists, so then what natural selection is doing was creating more and more complicated minds, or brains, rather, and at some point they can access this realm?

GE: That is correct, and so that space of abstract stuff was sitting there waiting to be discovered, and eventually minds reached a sufficient complexity that they could discover it. But that space doesn’t need minds to exist, it’s there.

David: It’s there already.

GE: Yeah. There’s a wonderful book out of this by Paul Churchland called Plato’s Camera.

David: Yes, I’ve read it.

GE: And Plato’s Camera talks about, in detail, how the structuring of the mind as a neural network enables us to recognise Platonic patterns, and they then get incorporated into electronic patterns in the brain, and then they can go down and effect what happens in the real world. So I see this causal link from Platonic spaces into intelligent minds, into electrons. It’s a downward causation, and then into causing effects in the real world.

For instance Pythagoras’ theorem is used by surveyors and architects. Or the number Pi is discovered, and it’s then used by engineers and it changes what happens in the real world because it’s used in engineering design.

David: So ideas have some kind of existence in our universe. It’s just it’s not a, sort of, physical existence like wood or steel.

GE: Yes, that’s right.​

Last edited:
We may just have to accept that the world really is weirder than we thought, and Hannah concludes that while we have invented the language of maths, the structure behind it all is something we discover.

Could also add a question regarding the degree to which the invented language of maths, accurately represents the discoverable reality of the maths which underpins (aspects of) the universe.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I think what amazes me is that mathematicians invent something...e.g. imaginary (or complex) numbers...and they turn out to be really useful. Now why would something based on the square root of -1 have a use????

I think what amazes me is that mathematicians invent something...e.g. imaginary (or complex) numbers...and they turn out to be really useful. Now why would something based on the square root of -1 have a use????

Pi is a funny one too

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
Mathematics is the basic nature of Bramhan'
The thing is, it only shows its colors in Bramhan's dream-world which is this universe
At the highest level no math is needed but it "holds" beyond time-space although only applicable within time-space

So.... our minds are nowhere in the picture , not yet

Nous

Premium Member
This is one of my favorite recreational subject matters.

Regardless of whether there is any human mind thinking (about) it at any given time, there exists a possible object on a possible plane consisting of all possible points that are equidistant from the center. I.e., regardless of whether there is any human mind thinking (about) it at any given time, there exists a possible object commonly known as a circle. Therefore, the thesis of mathematical realism is true.

Further, the relation a2 + b2 = c2 is not true of a plane triangle depending on whether or not some human is thinking it at any given point. That relation was true for plane triangles before humans came along to think it, and it will remain true after humans blow themselves up. Therefore, the thesis of mathematical realism is true.

Additionally, scientific realism entails mathematical realism: Scientific Realism Begets Mathematical Realism

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
As a mathematician, I have thought about this issue quite a bit. :)

The first issue is defining mathematics. To include modern math, I define it as the study of abstract formal systems.

So, the second issue: Equations like the Pythagorus identity (that a^2 +b^2 =c^2 for a right triangle) are NOT true without some assumptions. In particular, this equation requires the assumptions of Euclidean geometry. But we *know* that there are other geometries that are equally consistent to Euclid's. In such geometries, this relation is false. So, there is no 'a priori' reason to think the Pythagorus identity is 'true': it is false in other systems that are just as 'valid' a priori as Euclidean geometry.

Next, we can say similar things for many other 'clearly true' statements. For example, the statement that 5 is prime depends on the number system used. If we use the Gaussian integers, it is no longer the case that 5 is prime (it can be factored as (2+i)(2-i) ).

Another piece of the puzzle: Godel showed that any system of axioms that is strong enough to talk about the positive integers *cannot* be proven internally to be consistent. In addition, such systems will *always* have statements that can neither be proved nor disproved in that system (such statements are said to be independent). For an independent statement, we can literally choose whether it is true or false and neither way will produce new contradictions.

So, as a thought experiment: is the game of chess independent of our minds? We certainly invented it. But, once we have chosen the rules, are the winning strategies, the solutions of various problems, etc determined? Or are they just part of our mental world with no 'outside' component?

Now, in the way I think about it, we invent chess. But once we have decided on the rules, we discover the consequences of those rules. The game of chess still only exists in our minds, but there is a component that is now to be discovered.

As I see it, the exact same thing is true of mathematics: we invent the rules and discover the consequences of those rules. Furthermore, unlike with chess, we choose the rules of mathematics to be maximally expressive of abstract relations.

What that means is that once we have chosen the rules we want (those of set theory, for example), we discover the consequences of those rules. Math still only exists in our mental worlds, but because we chose the rules to align with our intuitions *and* to be as expressive as possible, we can use math as a language to describe the world around us.

As to why math is as good as it is in describing the world, I see this as partly by our design of the math. We *chose* the basic rules to allow us to model the world. Much of math was specifically invented to help us describe aspects of the world. So is it really so surprising that a language invented to describe certain aspects of the world actually manages to do so?

And this ignores the wide areas of math that have *nothing* to do with describing anything about the 'real world'. While the funding tends to go for those topics relevant to the outside world, there are very large areas of math where no expectation of applicability is held and where the internal beauty of the ideas is paramount. Such areas are NOT descriptive of the 'real world' and are not meant to be. They are more like 'science fiction' if you want.

As you can see, I am not a Platonist. I am very much a formalist when it comes to math. BTW, there are other views on how math works: look up intuitionism and intuitiionist logic at some point.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Further, the relation a2 + b2 = c2 is not true of a plane triangle depending on whether or not some human is thinking it at any given point. That relation was true for plane triangles before humans came along to think it, and it will remain true after humans blow themselves up. Therefore, the thesis of mathematical realism is true.

I disagree. This statement is only true under certain assumptions which may or may not actually be the case. In particular, it is false in every non-Euclidean geometry. And there is no reason to select Euclidean geometry over the non-Euclidean geometries.

And the basic assumptions we make are *our* selections. That means the derived statements are NOT true independent of our thoughts about them.

Now, once the assumptions are made, there is an argument that the *conclusions* are bound to those assumptions in some way independent of us. But this is like saying that what wins in chess depends on the rules we invented for chess.

Nous

Premium Member
I disagree. This statement is only true under certain assumptions which may or may not actually be the case. In particular, it is false in every non-Euclidean geometry. And there is no reason to select Euclidean geometry over the non-Euclidean geometries.
Nothing I said--e.g., "the relation a2 + b2 = c2 is not true of a plane triangle depending on whether or not some human is thinking it at any given point. That relation was true for plane triangles before humans came along to think it, and it will remain true after humans blow themselves up. Therefore, the thesis of mathematical realism is true"-- suggests that there are no non-Euclidean geometries. Nor did I say or suggest anything about "selecting Euclidean geometry over the non-Euclidean geometries." There definitely are non-Euclidean geometries, and unless one is specifically referring to Euclidean geometry, there is no reason to "select" it over non-Euclidean geometries. These facts definitely do not suggest that the thesis of mathematical realism is false.