• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Love Make Us Dumb?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
1f686de79652288a4ee92dbe3ecdbd782d15096a.gif

And finally, what would love be without embarrassment? Sexual arousal (but not necessarily attachment) appears to turn off regions in our brain that regulate critical thinking, self-awareness, and rational behavior, including parts of the prefrontal cortex. In short, love makes us dumb. Have you ever done something when you were in love that you later regretted? Maybe not. I’d ask a certain star-crossed Shakespearean couple, but it’s a little late for them.
Love, Actually: The science behind lust, attraction, and companionship - Science in the News

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I thought this would be about a different meaning for the word "love". My love of very dark chocolate, for example. Does thinking about it turn off the same brain areas?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I thought this would be about a different meaning for the word "love". My love of very dark chocolate, for example. Does thinking about it turn off the same brain areas?

I think it noted this was likely not in reference to attraction. Of course if it is more than attraction, i.e. it makes you sexually aroused. :shrug:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I think it noted this was likely not in reference to attraction. Of course if it is more than attraction, i.e. it makes you sexually aroused. :shrug:

Yes, I know. I was commenting on how vague the word "love" is because it applies to sexual desire, food, God, love of friends etc.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Hence why God (some forms) admonishes us to love so much - so as to lower our critical thinking - as to even God's existence. :oops:

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Yes, I know. I was commenting on how vague the word "love" is because it applies to sexual desire, food, God, love of friends etc.

There are languages other than English that have a lot more words for love, the different kinds of love. We're rather limited in comparison.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There are languages other than English that have a lot more words for love, the different kinds of love. We're rather limited in comparison.
And one word for God in Koine Greek is "agape", of which there is no one-word English equivalent. It's what one may call an "action noun", such as one doesn't just believe in love but lives out of love. IOW, love is to permeate us and our actions.